Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 388845 times)

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #900 on: May 15, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
If I'd known my comment would result in this, I'd have worded it differently. But at least we're discussing something.

BTW, is there an English translated list of changes for Climax?

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 15, 2012, 10:23:29 PM »
LOL, better than a whole page of moaning about how nobody's online.

On the whole Osaka thing, I dunno any better, to me it's how KoF is. I watch tons of anime, some random shows and of course, the KoF streams. The voice acting is clean, clear; it gels with the rest of the series and, while kensou  and robert do have a couple of lines which leave me scratching my head, Kyo and King sound quite neutral to me. If you can tell me what I should be listening for, pray tell.

Of course, there's also the matter of whether or not to translate something and how to translate it. How does one translate Ash's soft Ko line "sonna..."? Lit: something like that. Implied: negative, disapproving, disbelief. If you translate it, you're gonna end up with that old gag of 2 syllables being translated into 2 sentences. If you don't fans will be "disappoint" because they feel ripped off.

I reckon something like this might be better taken care of by community otakus than SNK because the pros they can afford aren't capable of delivering to the necessary level. They always sound half asleep to me.
But I can appreciate your passion ;)
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Cibernetico

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 15, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
Does anyone know if SNKp is going to be taking the same path with Climax as they did with 13? You know, keeping it arcade only for about a year before importing all the changes over to a console version?

And if they do do that, are people hoping that maybe they could possible have a surprise and add 2 or 3 more EX character and release something like a complete edition with all the climax changes and possibly a better online system? This is obviously all hoping but what are the chances of this actually happening?

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 15, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
Does anyone know if SNKp is going to be taking the same path with Climax as they did with 13? You know, keeping it arcade only for about a year before importing all the changes over to a console version?

And if they do do that, are people hoping that maybe they could possible have a surprise and add 2 or 3 more EX character and release something like a complete edition with all the climax changes and possibly a better online system? This is obviously all hoping but what are the chances of this actually happening?

Well they have to announce something during evo. I hope they won't miss that chance even if they need long time to produce it.

milesw

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:54 AM »
Yare yare...dat weaboo talk lol
満月の夜にまた会おうか!

My youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/mairusu1

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 16, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »

Well they have to announce something during evo. I hope they won't miss that chance even if they need long time to produce it.

I'm telling ya' this: All they have to do is just throw up a Rock Howard screenshot (even just a sketch or rough model) and announce Garou 2 and the FGC will go ape shit.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:17 AM »
I honestly can't stand Japanese VOs. You'd think for a country that has this as an art form and as a respectable job, they'd be a lot better than this. I mean, seriously, please try DBZ for reference and tell me that that isn't better in English.

Their VAs tend to all copy each other and fall into the same stereotypical voices that permeate all their animes. It's like having everyone sound like Johnny Yong Bosch or Mark Hamill. I'd easily say that our actors are 10x as talented as any one of theirs handily. I think people are still in the mindset of the 90s when our quality of voice acting was downright atrocious.

I also love how they can't pronounce English for shit, but we can pronounce Japanese terms just fine now.

milesw

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 16, 2012, 01:17:41 AM »
I wish I had Joe Higashi's voice~
満月の夜にまた会おうか!

My youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/mairusu1

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:27 AM »
I honestly can't stand Japanese VOs. You'd think for a country that has this as an art form and as a respectable job, they'd be a lot better than this. I mean, seriously, please try DBZ for reference and tell me that that isn't better in English.

Their VAs tend to all copy each other and fall into the same stereotypical voices that permeate all their animes. It's like having everyone sound like Johnny Yong Bosch or Mark Hamill. I'd easily say that our actors are 10x as talented as any one of theirs handily. I think people are still in the mindset of the 90s when our quality of voice acting was downright atrocious.

I also love how they can't pronounce English for shit, but we can pronounce Japanese terms just fine now.

To go off-topic on voicing and language for a little:

You get stereotypes in any culture; and Japan being pretty much a one-culture country, the lack of variety shouldn't be too surprising. And I'd want to blame a lot of VA copying based on the anime designs copying themselves often. Should it be surprsing that two or three animes with adolescent high school male protagonists get the same or similar/imitated voice actors? That's more of a no for me.

And for the record, it still pains me to hear Americans getting/pronouncing Japanese words wrong. A lot. There's only a minority of people I've met in the states who get it right, and a growing # of Japanese who sound like they've learned (proper) English alongside Japanese. I know it's a comparison of JPN media to overall culture, but fyi anyway.

P.S. DBZ in both languages is pretty even for me, but for every DBZ for you there are 3 or 4 animes like Naruto and One Piece that fell short in English casting.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 16, 2012, 04:53:44 AM »
I wish I had Joe Higashi's voice~

That's something we all want, miles...

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »
I'd easily say that our actors are 10x as talented as any one of theirs handily.

Don't get high on your own supply LOL. I know a few english people and I'm happy inform you that their english is just fine. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pronounce japanese properly??? (ESL teacher here btw).
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #911 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:28 AM »
i believe its better for each of the characters to use only one voice
something I respect about TEKKEN is every character speaks his own language

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

Bloom of the Wolf

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »

I like how this is probably the least opinion filled and relevant statement to current events in kof xiii on this page, including this one right here, and it goes ignored in favor of bullshit opinionated seiyuu/voice actor dribble.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 16, 2012, 08:06:53 AM »
i believe its better for each of the characters to use only one voice
something I respect about TEKKEN is every character speaks his own language

That's why I completely respect Tekken. They get what works for everyone. No embarrassment from either side. Also Miguel is the best thing since ever.

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:30 AM »

I like how this is probably the least opinion filled and relevant statement to current events in kof xiii on this page, including this one right here, and it goes ignored in favor of bullshit opinionated seiyuu/voice actor dribble.

Well in their defense, I kinda set off their argument...