Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386221 times)

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #990 on: May 19, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Clark, Terry and Maxima are the only characters that need their signature moves back. Everyone else is fine as is. Nobody needs their silly MAX, MAX2, Leader DM, End of the World DM nonsense.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 19, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
Clark, Terry and Maxima are the only characters that need their signature moves back. Everyone else is fine as is. Nobody needs their silly MAX, MAX2, Leader DM, End of the World DM nonsense.

Well, Neo Maxes are pretty cool, but I agree it tends to get diluted if there's too much going around. Also, I think there are more characters needing moves. Clark feels OK but Leona feels quite stripped. I wonder how much had to do with time constraints. I do think we will have to wait till 14 for new moves.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 19, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »

Well, Neo Maxes are pretty cool, but I agree it tends to get diluted if there's too much going around. Also, I think there are more characters needing moves. Clark feels OK but Leona feels quite stripped. I wonder how much had to do with time constraints. I do think we will have to wait till 14 for new moves.

How is Leona stripped m8?

On EX chars discussion, there is no point in making a character that will add moves to the original one. This will make the original one useless. Not all characters have EX potential because they need to make the character completely different. I see King being EX, maybe terry. I personally prefer a headswap over EX.

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 19, 2012, 02:20:16 PM »

I say no EX chars, just like what Running Wild said add moves to some of the characters but in my opinion not all who were mentioned and they should make new characters; yes it is easier to make EX characters but making new characters is better in every way.

KoF XIII UM is my hope. The game mechanics is still new and it is really good why make a new one, just add to it. All they have to do is one huge expansion (not like capcom in sf4 where they did 2), then they can move on to Garou or KoF XIV.

No one in KoF XIII is OP and let me break it to you this way, KoF XIII does not have a skill cap unlike SF4 so the tier list does not matter really, the example that I can bring up is SFIII 3rd strike. The Japanese players back then did not care about tier list and who was OP or not, if you are good at the game you will succeed; that was 3rd strike go and look at the tier list. Broken characters like sean are out of the question.

Sorry for the rant guys but you haven't seen OP if you consider the DLC characters OP and no I dont consider anyone in 3rd strike OP.

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 19, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »
well statistically they can make 7-8 sprites a year. if they've been working on it I see an expansion announced during evo.

JennyCage

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
  • I see a red door and I want it painted black.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 19, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »
KoF XIII UM is my hope. The game mechanics is still new and it is really good why make a new one, just add to it. All they have to do is one huge expansion (not like capcom in sf4 where they did 2), then they can move on to Garou or KoF XIV.

Or Last Blade 3!
Kick, punch, it's all in the method. Not mother approved but totally kid tested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCPTb9h2V5s

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 19, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »
I don't think an EX Terry is necessary. I think just giving him the Powerdunk and buffing Power Gyser (either give it faster startup or more invincibility).

EX Ralf would be interesting. You could remove Burning Hammer and maybe Explosive Punch. Give him a SAB, a better version of Tackle from 02, and make Bareback Vulcan a grab super. Done. You just made a new character that will appease the die hards.

I'm guessing we'll see a new KOF in 2-3 years. In the interim who knows... Garou 2 is the most likely but I imagine there has to be a bean counter at SNKP weighing the options of doing more mobile hentai games or making more fighting games and a new Metal Slug.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »
ahahahah, I bet the eroge outsell kof 10 to 1. but plz, no more EX charas :(
On a side note, if they make garou 2, I hope it plays like KoF...
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:30 PM »
I can see snkp releasing an update to kof 13(a couple stages, characters,balance,etc.....)  for fall of 2013, and I can see them withholding some characters for the console port in 2014. I want them to use other method beside sprite to make their fighter and actual have a budget so that everything gets done  with the amount resources available, lets not repeat this gen again and no 5 years to get good game

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
I can see snkp releasing an update to kof 13(a couple stages, characters,balance,etc.....)  for fall of 2012, and I can see them withholding some characters for the console port in 2013.
Think this is more cautious... causes 2014, prolly, FG scene has evolved till then, and KoFXIII, may will have become "obsolete"... (SSF4 AE Final Edition + / U TTT2 / U AE SFxTK / TKxSF / SF5 / SF A4 / *insert your choice* / etc...).
And of course, dont forget to add our Ultimate Netcode! :p

KoF 4 EVA

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 21, 2012, 04:51:33 AM »
Regarding the next KOF game, I expect it to be a Dream Match with a system that sticks pretty close to XIII's. And it won't be XIII UM.

The reason why I expect it to be a Dream Match is because I don't think they'll be ready to discard Ash, Saiki, Vice and Mature just yet.

The reason why I expect the system to stick close to XIII's is that SNKP is surely going to be trying hard to appeal to the biggest audience they can. Historically, when they change the system dramatically after a successful game (98 -> 99, 2002 -> 2003), players tend to stick with what they know. I think, with so many new players getting into KOF right now, it's a terrible time to say "here, try something new!"

The reason why I'm confident it won't be a UM game is because the UM brand has always meant an "everything and the kitchen sink" game. Financially, the logic behind these games has been that re-balancing popular older games and throwing in older sprites has gotten fans excited and has been cheap to produce. As others have pointed out, adding in EVERY character from 2003 and XI to XIII would be a ridiculous undertaking. Never going to happen. But even if they only added a few of the characters, it's still pointless. Why not just add those characters to a new game? New games are easier to sell than re-releases.

And if anyone is hoping that SNK will just add content to XIII via DLC, I expect you'll be disappointed. All the DLC characters were already on the disk, and I don't think XIII's programming would even allow for real DLC characters. Besides, DLC characters are much harder to balance (see: EX Kyo and EX Iori glitches), and you limit your audience only to those who have bought the game.

On the topic of DLC, I just wanted to touch on the EX character argument. I think they're an ideal candidate for DLC, and would love to see more in a future KOF. Based on what's in XIII, I'd think an EX Andy, Robert, and King would work well with minimal extra animation. EX Terry and maybe Leona (based on Heidern) would also be possible. EX Chin and Kensou are definitely justified, but they'd require a lot more animation than the others (IMO). I hope SNK considers them for DLC in XIV.

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 21, 2012, 03:26:30 PM »

@Rex Dart: Nicely said, hard to argue with you here but what do you thin they'll add in the dream match?

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 21, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »

@Rex Dart: Nicely said, hard to argue with you here but what do you thin they'll add in the dream match?

Agree with Tyrant. Great points all around Rex. I think they would add EX characters to the next dream match; it might be hard for many players to walk away from two flavors of Kyo and Iori for a while. There are so many other possibilities for EX characters to choose from though.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 21, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

Thanks.  :)

As far as WHO they'll add to the next game, I think it's just about anyone's guess. SNK loves throwing in surprises (i.e. Duck King and Eiji in XI, Raiden in XII, Mature in console XII, Hwa Jai in XIII). So I'm hoping we'll get at least one surprise in XIV's cast.

System changes are also pretty hard to predict. SNK said several times that the concept for XIII was "KOF-ism," which meant that XIII's system was supposed to be THE KOF system. I can only think of a few refinements to the XIII system that could improve it.

- Revise the input system to remove command overlap (wherever possible) and standardize the shortcuts between characters. (For some characters [K' and Liz] dp -> qcf DC's are really difficult, but also really important; but other characters [Robert, Kyo, Yuri] I find myself doing dp -> qcf DC's accidentally. We need an easy, universal short cut!)
- Tone down some EX moves. A few of them are just a little too safe + rewarding.
- If stun is kept in the game (and I honestly don't think it's necessary), I'd like a visual indicator of how close a character is to being stunned.

As far as systems I'd like to see added to the game (but which others will likely disagree with me on):

- XII-style chargeable CDs. For those who didn't play XII, you could charge your CD which would eventually become a full guard crush, or leave your opponent in a crumple stun position. While being charged, you could cancel it into any special. I loved the mix-ups this offered.
- 98-style air blocking. I expect some will disagree with me on this one, but I feel like this was a great defensive option. But it would require more animation, so . . . I'd rank it low on my priorities.

Or better yet, maybe SNK could make these individual systems DLC and sell them to players to equip on their characters. They could call them "emblems" or "jewels" or "special stones" ...
Wait! Don't kill me! I was just kidding!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:21:15 PM by Rex Dart »

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
As far as systems I'd like to see added to the game (but which others will likely disagree with me on):

- XII-style chargeable CDs. For those who didn't play XII, you could charge your CD which would eventually become a full guard crush, or leave your opponent in a crumple stun position. While being charged, you could cancel it into any special. I loved the mix-ups this offered.
- 98-style air blocking. I expect some will disagree with me on this one, but I feel like this was a great defensive option. But it would require more animation, so . . . I'd rank it low on my priorities.

If they were to do something along the lines of XII's "crumple combos" or whatever they're called, i'd like to see some modifications in terms of the options available to you as to me it always felt like an incomplete system that wasn't implemented all that well and to this day I can't really put my finger on why but it just felt... really off and if they altered the effect and your options afterwards that it could be a nice addition.

Air blocking is something I would be open to since in my opinion in XIII as well as in pretty much every KOF the emphasis on offence is too overwhelming and does a lot that pushes you towards focusing almost exclusively on offence, with defence being a complete afterthought and air blocking would be a way to help give players more options on defence.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".