Author Topic: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition  (Read 386427 times)

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 7th General Thread: Evo 2012 countdown edition
« Reply #1020 on: May 22, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
I don't like air block and stun.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 11:51:13 AM by a11111357 »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:16 PM »
I think XIII's system is pretty much perfect as is save for maybe HD, the one touch 'kill' mechanic isn't always fun or feel fair.

The one system mechanic I would like them to try again is the clash system from XII, I found that very interesting.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 22, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
SNK's newst Pachinko machine: Fatal Fury Sougeki
http://slot.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/garou_sougeki/
http://slosoku.2chblog.jp/archives/7440902.html

New Hiroaki art is always good. Horrbile photoshop job though...

More info at: http://www.mmcafe.com/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:34:23 PM by AmedoS310 »

Ky0

• Scion of Flame
  • MIJU KUMONO MEGA [Location]: Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
AWMAGASH!

KoF 4 EVA

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 22, 2012, 07:14:13 PM »
I think XIII's system is pretty much perfect as is save for maybe HD, the one touch 'kill' mechanic isn't always fun or feel fair.

The one system mechanic I would like them to try again is the clash system from XII, I found that very interesting.

Honestly, I feel that the HD combo meter should be moved from timed, to making it max out at four dream cancels.  Same bar, make each dream cancel smaller so people focus more on cancelling and what to save rather then pray for the one hit to HD kill you.

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 22, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »
If there has to be a change, I'd like to see a mix between the HD system now and 98's Max Mode or whatever.

Pretty much, keep the Drive Cancels, keep the Super Cancels, keep the Neomaxes and it's requirement.  Turn HD mode into 98 Max Mode, just bringing an increase in power, and keeping the ability of it essentially being an initial Roman Cancel with the dash forward, but no HD cancels within it or something, you get two Drive Cancels, and or Super Cancels within it, and of course, access to Max Cancels.

Obviously it'd need tweaking, but maybe that'd bring back some of the more nuanced neutral game of before rather than just looking for that one hit into death.
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

Dandy J

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 22, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
they should just replace hd mode with counter/armor mode that shit was hype. also make another tag game

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 22, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
they should just replace hd mode with counter/armor mode that shit was hype. also make another tag game

I think the HD mode is great for some characters, but others have no use for it. I feel like a sort of N-Groove power up like Counter/Armor mode in addition to HD mode would benefit some characters and open up more possibilities for different types of strategies.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:26 PM »
Air blocking is something I would be open to since in my opinion in XIII as well as in pretty much every KOF the emphasis on offence is too overwhelming and does a lot that pushes you towards focusing almost exclusively on offence, with defence being a complete afterthought and air blocking would be a way to help give players more options on defence.

KOF has always been an offense-heavy game but defense is hardly an afterthought.  Most characters are equipped with defensive specials or normals that act in their place.  It can certainly feel overwhelming when being pinned down by a skilled player but the tools to defend yourself are there.  GC rolls and blowbacks, smartly timed pokes/normals, ex specials, even some DMs and Neomaxes can be used defensively.  KOF gives you both offensive and defensive options, there is no lack of one or the other.

That said air blocking wouldn't kill the game, but I personally wouldn't want to see it introduced.  I like that once you leave the ground, you commit to your choice.  If you could air block I could see fireball characters losing a lot of momentum, and poor Terry's ex power wave would in theory be useless.  I haven't played 98 though, only 2K2/2K2UM/13, so maybe the implementation of it would be better than I imagine.

When I say that defence is an afterthought isn't because I feel like you don't have any decent options on defence it's because over the years they've added things like HD and all these other offensive systems while for the most part leaving the defensive systems the same, and that leads me to believe that this isn't a focus of theirs when developing the games.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 22, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
Air blocking is something I would be open to since in my opinion in XIII as well as in pretty much every KOF the emphasis on offence is too overwhelming and does a lot that pushes you towards focusing almost exclusively on offence, with defence being a complete afterthought and air blocking would be a way to help give players more options on defence.

KOF has always been an offense-heavy game but defense is hardly an afterthought.  Most characters are equipped with defensive specials or normals that act in their place.  It can certainly feel overwhelming when being pinned down by a skilled player but the tools to defend yourself are there.  GC rolls and blowbacks, smartly timed pokes/normals, ex specials, even some DMs and Neomaxes can be used defensively.  KOF gives you both offensive and defensive options, there is no lack of one or the other.

That said air blocking wouldn't kill the game, but I personally wouldn't want to see it introduced.  I like that once you leave the ground, you commit to your choice.  If you could air block I could see fireball characters losing a lot of momentum, and poor Terry's ex power wave would in theory be useless.  I haven't played 98 though, only 2K2/2K2UM/13, so maybe the implementation of it would be better than I imagine.

When I say that defence is an afterthought isn't because I feel like you don't have any decent options on defence it's because over the years they've added things like HD and all these other offensive systems while for the most part leaving the defensive systems the same, and that leads me to believe that this isn't a focus of theirs when developing the games.
In KOF XI,you can change into another character when under attack.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:10:48 PM by a11111357 »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 23, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
All of you stfu, HD is hype, whatchall going on about???
I guess they could add another system next to it for those who don't like HD, but tbh, HD is not a TOD thing. It requires the right kind of character and IMHO, you get 2 full HD gauges in a match. As I've said before, it combines the best of both worlds, LOOOONG combos other games have introduced but in a sane, kof-like manner.

The fact that HD and Power stocks are built and used at the same time is kind of like having 2 systems at once, the waza/chikara systems of Last Blade 2 spring to mind. I never really cared what the flavour of the month system was in the last kofs, as long as the stock was there. None of the people I played with did either. Everyone was from the KoF 98 school of thought, and fancy stuff just isn't welcome. Never, for the life of me, did i understand what the point in armour mode was.

For those of us who are getting owned by HD combos: adapt your playstyle to the situation. Part of winning a match is being one step ahead of the mind games. Everyone has a favourite set-up. Do you know what moves are capable of juggling you into an HD? Do you know how to safely deny them? Is your opponent really going to use HD? Maybe he's going to save it for your next character instead of blowing his load to end your 30% life. Same for stock, etc etc etc.

@ Diavle: every HD Cancel consumes 10% of the gauge, in addition to the timer. In theory, you get max 9 cancels. In practice, I'd say 6/7.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 23, 2012, 08:37:04 AM »
And plz, no more tagging in or out. Ever.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 23, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »

Just no to tag ins and no to critical counter!

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 23, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
The problem with HD combos is that it scares the hell out of a caual newcomer so they prefer to go back to sfiv where they have the chance to land a 50% ultra and win.

Although I dont like SFIV I have to give it to Capcom for making SFIV newcomer/casual friendly but at the same time it can have advanced tournament play. Lemme break it down to make my point clear.

1. Newcomer/ Casual friendly
SFIV
With the charge that breaks your blocking and the ultra comeback, casual players dont have to learn to combo in order to enjoy the game. This is perfect for casual vs casual which is the 80% of the matches on PSN/XBL.
SFxT
Now in this game the causal friendly mechanic is the abc/ launcher. A casual can spam this all day and bring his shoto in for a shoryuken followup that does decent damage and that's the reason most of the teams online are Ryu ken

2. Tournament level play
SFIV
Now the fact that the charge move can be canceled and lead into big combos this attracts a tourny lvl player because it needs perfect excecution and timing. I seriously never seen a tourney player using a raw ultra.
SFxT
There are two typers of combos. a) abclauncher and b) SFiV style of comboing where ur punches and kicks need precise timing to connect leading to bigger and more damage combos combos.

My point is Capcom managed to satisfy both categories and that's something that I admire. Don't get me wrong though. My love has always been Snk but they can't survive on old players like us, especially these days where there are so many tourney worthy FGs.

They need to attract new blood. My solution to this? Add a second gauge similar to 96/97 where u pressed abcd and ur gauge would go max. This way casuals can learn simple combos and spam them with a dm finish when they have red health. The HD gauge which is gonna be the tourney gauge it is gonna be more rewarding.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:25 PM »
All of you stfu, HD is hype, whatchall going on about???
I guess they could add another system next to it for those who don't like HD, but tbh, HD is not a TOD thing. It requires the right kind of character and IMHO, you get 2 full HD gauges in a match. As I've said before, it combines the best of both worlds, LOOOONG combos other games have introduced but in a sane, kof-like manner.

The fact that HD and Power stocks are built and used at the same time is kind of like having 2 systems at once, the waza/chikara systems of Last Blade 2 spring to mind. I never really cared what the flavour of the month system was in the last kofs, as long as the stock was there. None of the people I played with did either. Everyone was from the KoF 98 school of thought, and fancy stuff just isn't welcome. Never, for the life of me, did i understand what the point in armour mode was.

For those of us who are getting owned by HD combos: adapt your playstyle to the situation. Part of winning a match is being one step ahead of the mind games. Everyone has a favourite set-up. Do you know what moves are capable of juggling you into an HD? Do you know how to safely deny them? Is your opponent really going to use HD? Maybe he's going to save it for your next character instead of blowing his load to end your 30% life. Same for stock, etc etc etc.

@ Diavle: every HD Cancel consumes 10% of the gauge, in addition to the timer. In theory, you get max 9 cancels. In practice, I'd say 6/7.

Dunno why you mentioned the last bit to me specifically but okay.

As to HD, countless match vids out there (and personal experiences) where one is leading by a mile and yet at the end gets tagged by one light attack (usually cr.B into s.B) and its over. Yes you can avoid special moves, jumpins etc. but how long can you avoid not getting tagged by a single light attack? How easily will you see it coming?

The stuff Poongko pulled in KOFXI, now those were comebacks. Playing a damn solid round and then getting tagged by a low attack or whatever into a death/near death combo? Not so much.

The Drive Cancel system is the balanced version of HD imo, they should have just left it at that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 02:36:40 PM by Diavle »