Author Topic: SF4 & The FGC - The Effect and Onwards  (Read 20156 times)

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
Re: SF4 & The FGC - The Effect and Onwards
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
Here's a simple test....who among us here call SFIV their first fighting game? Hopefully there are some, so we can ask them instead about how much SFIV contributed to the reviving of FGC.

If there is none.....well....
Dude, Relax!

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 01:37:48 AM »
Here's a simple test....who among us here call SFIV their first fighting game? Hopefully there are some, so we can ask them instead about how much SFIV contributed to the reviving of FGC.

I really doubt you'll find anyone here, it would be a miracle really hahaha. :P

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 02:03:11 AM »

I really doubt you'll find anyone here, it would be a miracle really hahaha. :P

^I think he's right. One or two exceptions possibly, but most people here playing anything KOF, 90% have played something well before XIII (CvS1&2 not included).
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 02:58:26 AM »
well street fighter 4 wasn't my first fighting game but it was the fighting game that got me to take them a little bit more seriously, before then i didn't really play fighting games all that much. that count?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:09:34 AM by Xxenace »

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 03:29:10 AM »

Nobody is arguing the FGC would be the same w/ or w/o SFIV. SFIV made it's impact and many games started looking at it as the template to make the most money. Dumbing down fighting games to get the new blood in made more sense to the companies then making games for the hardcore crowd.

What is being argued is the FGC would be alive, and doing quite well without SFIV. Now do I think the FGC would be as mainstream as it is? No, however this is a double edge sword. Personally I think we are now on the down slope of this push in the FGC.
They were arguing this in the other thread. Some people thought there would be some alternate timeline where "skill" fighting games would take over the world, which is a laughable idea.

We are already seeing too many games being released too close to one another, causing very good games to be pushed to the way side to play more popular titles. Games like KOF XIII and Soulcalibur V are losing their online communities in a matter of a couple of months. Both titles are highly acclaimed, yet cannot sustain their communities. Even Street Fighter x Tekken is not as popular as Super Street Fighter IV was 1 year after release, and we are talking about a game that just got released. On Arcade mode with request match open I can go a match or 2 without anybody coming in during the afternoon. I find it next to impossible to go half a match with the same parameters in SSFIV at 5 in the morning.
KOFXIII is losing its online community because of a bad netcode, SCV has many reasons for having this, whether it be the lack of SP content, the fact that people now notice the game isn't that good, lack of iconic characters, etc., etc.

SFxT losing steam is very obvious. It's NOT A GOOD GAME. The only reason it's got competition is because it's on Evo and people underestimate how much disdain people have for Capcom as of late. The fact that this game has plenty of glitches, extensive on-disc DLC, Fat Megaman, an inferior Xbox version and rushed out the gate doesn't help matters at all.

You could make an argument that it was like when Capcom used to make fighters within a months of each other.

The community is starting to get tired of dropping $50 - $60 for a game then x amount more on DLC every few months a new game drops. More then likely the community will only get worse as this continues. Remember Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is coming soon and it is a tag game with 1/2 of their cast the same cast that's in SF x TK. Do you think that will go over well with a community that is already tired of spending so much money? Not to mention Tekken x Street Fighter coming sooner or later. If SFIV came out I don't think the DLC would be as ridiculous as it has become and we would still be on the upswing since we would have never have had that giant spike of interest in the FGC. The newer games would be more spaced out and the older titles, which would be the majority of the games being released rather then the $60 games with DLC that go $15 to $20 more at least, would only top out at $15 where most would be around $10. Very affordable for people wanting multiple titles while still giving you enough money to save up for the big release once or twice a year.
I don't agree with this at all. I think TTT2 will do very well, because (NEWSFLASH!) not everyone plays every fighting game. The people that play Tekken are very far from those that play Capcom games. Most people play Tekken HATE SFxT and don't care for SF in general. Not to mention it's coming way into the end of the year. I can't say much for TxSF because we have no real clue when it's coming out. The ones that might have an issue are VFFS and Skullgirls because they both have an uncertain audience.

As for SFIV and the DLC problems? No. For starters, DLC isn't a bad thing at all. I wouldn't mind being able to have basically a new game for cheaper unlike the "good 'ol days" where you paid full price every time. SFIV was pretty much good out the gate. Sure there was the costumes and they were WAY overpriced, but they're not integral to the game at all. They even had a 40 buck Super version and then 15 dollar DLC Arcade Edition. You can't really compare that to having 12 fucking characters locked. That's almost the equivalent of a new game.

I'm not scared at all, because I have faith that SFxT will blow up in Capcom's face and the other companies will take notice.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:52:24 AM by Proto Cloud »

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

As for SFIV and the DLC problems? No. For starters, DLC isn't a bad thing at all. I wouldn't mind being able to have basically a new game for cheaper unlike the "good 'ol days" where you paid full price every time. SFIV was pretty much good out the gate. Sure there was the costumes and they were WAY overpriced, but they're not integral to the game at all. They even had a 40 buck Super version and then 15 dollar DLC Arcade Edition. You can't really compare that to having 12 fucking characters locked. That's almost the equivalent of a new game.

I'm not scared at all, because I have faith that SFxT will blow up in Capcom's face and the other companies will take notice.

I dont mind DLC's as long as they are will priced and good. As for SFxT blowing up, hope that happens and I hope they will learn from their mistakes.

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 08:58:44 PM »
See I don't mind DLC either, but there has to be a damn good reason behind it. KOFXIII, I can forgive it because it's priced at $50, MK9 had an unfinished character and the rest were completely new. Those are good ways to use DLC. Locking stuff on a disc in a game that doesn't have much value to begin with, isn't a good look in any way. I just don't see how Capcom can't see that by having more content from the get-go they can sell more copies. Instead of bleeding what fans they still have dry.

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
well street fighter 4 wasn't my first fighting game but it was the fighting game that got me to take them a little bit more seriously, before then i didn't really play fighting games all that much. that count?
Well, close enough...

So! how do you feel about the FGC currently? is it big and exciting? does it offer new things to look forward to? or does it felt like a small scale hobbyist convention that is going nowhere?
Dude, Relax!

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Well, close enough...

So! how do you feel about the FGC currently? is it big and exciting? does it offer new things to look forward to? or does it felt like a small scale hobbyist convention that is going nowhere?
well it can be exciting and it does offer me somethings to look into but there are a bunch of things that everyone should work on mostly the arguing sometimes i feel like im at a star wars convention with two fat nerds with one trying to tell the other why the republic is better than the empire and vice versa. though the sense of comradery is nice honestly when i joined i didn't think i would meet a lot of people here as most fighting game forums i browsed around everyone seemed so boring and im glad thats not the case here for the most part

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
Well, close enough...

well it can be exciting and it does offer me somethings to look into but there are a bunch of things that everyone should work on mostly the arguing sometimes i feel like im at a star wars convention with two fat nerds with one trying to tell the other why the republic is better than the empire and vice versa. though the sense of comradery is nice honestly when i joined i didn't think i would meet a lot of people here as most fighting game forums i browsed around everyone seemed so boring and im glad thats not the case here for the most part

You should join Capcom unity if you didnt do that already. You'll have more fun :P. (no disrespect meant by this)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:06:16 PM by Tyrant292 »

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 02:28:28 AM »
Well, close enough...

You should join Capcom unity if you didnt do that already. You'll have more fun :P. (no disrespect meant by this)
nah too big makes it near impossible to actually get to know anybody

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 05:32:08 AM »
To be honest the forums in CU are pretty bad. Most of the time people complain about EVERYTHING! Some of it is worthwhile but most of the time there's a ton of weirdo conspiracy theorists, people that have no clue what they're talking about and junk. (My favorite are the Megafans) Plus, most of them are very young of age or just plain dumb.

But I feel ya, I like this forum because it's not too big, but not too small. Feels intimate. (No homo) That's the reason I don't feel welcome in the Mayonaka Midnight forums.

Anyways, back on track. Actually, I'm just like Xxenace. I didn't get serious about fighters 'til SFIV came around. I've played a lot of fighters before that, but I think it was more due to the advent of youtube than anything. Because after that I took BB very seriously, dropped SFIV and was able to play games like GGAC and KOFXI with a new understanding.

Basically, before SFIV, I just had no clue what I was doing for the most part and had no idea how to break down a fighting game to its individual components. This is due to the fact that many games lacked a good tutorial that told how to play the game to its fullest potential. It was so bad that some games even had no command lists or just partial ones. If you didn't have the right mindset, you will never be able to crack open a game like that.

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »
mostly the arguing
Argument is a sign that we take things seriously, well at least we cared enough to argue about whatever it is hahaha. So people are arguing eh?....well that's a good sign, it means that the community is not apathetic to its subject matter.

So some people WERE influenced by SFIV, to the point where they started considering fighting game seriously. So SFIV do contributes greatly to the FGC....but I think every fighting games at one point did this. I mean, if there's no SS2, I probably will not be here. If there's no KOF XIII, no Dreamcancel. Point is, that I believed EVERY fighting games that ever existed at one point, helped the growth of FGC. It just happened to be SFIV for Proto and Xxenace.

So here's my conclusion....the size and influence of FGC depends on the influence of the titles that is currently out there (so far the lasy few years we only got less than 10)...imagine if this is the 90's and we already got internet and youtube and stuff....plus all those hundreds of fighting games, WOW for one thing there'll be ALOT more people playing Karnov's Revenge hahaha. (Still, I can't get over the fact that people need tutorials for bnbs in 2012...that's just sad...but I guess that's the way to go)
Dude, Relax!

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
Yeah, but Xxenace and I are but a small fraction of the entire SFIV movement. Most, if not all the FGC at this point either were back because of SFIV, started with SFIV or got in because of GGPO. People who are fighting game oldschoolers aren't as big as people think it is. Numbers for tournaments exploded after SFIV.

I can't really follow your posts because your writing is confusing, but you're making it seem like SFIV isn't a big deal when it really was. Sure every new fighter brings new blood, but what my point is, is that SFIV was QUINTISSENTIAL for ushering in a new of the FGC. Something that Tekken, GGPO, DOA or Soulcalibur couldn't manage. Sure we could've gotten to this point eventually, but how long would it have taken if they didn't make another SF? That's like saying that DaVinci/Einstein/Socrates/Méliés ain't shit because eventually there would be artists/engineers/philosophers that would've come up with the same ideas anyway. Yet we don't. That's because they were ahead of their time and pushed us forward into the future.

And I don't appreciate you making a mockery of people that need tutorials. Everyone has to start from the bottom. I don't suppose you remember your humble beginnings? Are you scared that people that are taught in-game could manage to exceed your own skill? Think about what you're saying, because you're coming off as arrogant and elitist.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
mostly the arguing
Argument is a sign that we take things seriously, well at least we cared enough to argue about whatever it is hahaha. So people are arguing eh?....well that's a good sign, it means that the community is not apathetic to its subject matter.

So some people WERE influenced by SFIV, to the point where they started considering fighting game seriously. So SFIV do contributes greatly to the FGC....but I think every fighting games at one point did this. I mean, if there's no SS2, I probably will not be here. If there's no KOF XIII, no Dreamcancel. Point is, that I believed EVERY fighting games that ever existed at one point, helped the growth of FGC. It just happened to be SFIV for Proto and Xxenace.

So here's my conclusion....the size and influence of FGC depends on the influence of the titles that is currently out there (so far the lasy few years we only got less than 10)...imagine if this is the 90's and we already got internet and youtube and stuff....plus all those hundreds of fighting games, WOW for one thing there'll be ALOT more people playing Karnov's Revenge hahaha. (Still, I can't get over the fact that people need tutorials for bnbs in 2012...that's just sad...but I guess that's the way to go)
let me just add in that ever since i bought sf4 i didn't exactly care for the game i loved it because it gave me the option to play with many different people long before it was just me and my younger brother and maybe a friend here and there and sf4 is also one of the two games that got me the most friends on xbox live that being said it's also why i rely so much on netcode being good for fighting games cause as with any game  if the netcode comes out a bit shoddy then the game kind of goes on life support which kinda irritates me