Author Topic: Good Battery Characters  (Read 6970 times)

Edge_Reaper

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Good Battery Characters
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:22:56 AM »
Working on a team in KOFXIII, but I find myself overestimating some character's abilities, namely where they should fall in the order of the team. My team is currently Leona, Mature, and Shen, but I usually end up lacking meter for Mature's usage, and she just ends up being a battery as well. It does work to some degree, because she's a fairly strong character even without meter, but I know she's even more effective with it.

tl;dr What are some suggestions for good battery characters?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Good Battery Characters
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
If you want a good battery then look to characters that you can play well with without using meter, or even better, with whom you aren't fond of using meter.

At the end every character becomes better with meter so you just gotta resist the temptation to blow it when you don't need to or save it for when you do.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:01:08 PM by Diavle »

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
Out of that team Mature is your best battery option. She builds meter fast, is able to keep people at bay with her pokes and her rekkas, and overall she just has great meterless to low meter options. Honestly there is no reason to to give all of the meter options to Mature and not Shen. But a good battery character is someone who can function well with low meter resources. Ex Kyo, Kensou, Terry, Mature, Duo Lon, Billy, Andy, and Robert I feel can all excel in the battery position. Even then characters like Mr. Karate, Benimaru, Yuri, the multi purpose characters, if you will, can function in that position depending on your team.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 03:17:38 PM by Zeromurasame »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:02 AM »
Since no one's brought him up, do players still automatically consider K' a good battery, or have opinions changed?
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:14 AM »
Btw, fellas, we talked about this exact subject briefly in our latest podcast episode: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2281.msg52799#msg52799
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Zeromurasame

• New Challenger
  • Ehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Since no one's brought him up, do players still automatically consider K' a good battery, or have opinions changed?
I was under the impression that K' is one of the multipurpose characters. He seems like he can fit in any position.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 01:42:13 AM »
I was under the impression that K' is one of the multipurpose characters. He seems like he can fit in any position.

He's definitely multipurpose, but usually the first thing I hear about K' is his infamous battery position.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

LAB Falken

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 03:36:07 PM »
K' is still a fantastic battery yes. Generally by your third combo (without considering any meter usage otherwise, and not considering any meter built from taking damage or blocking) you have built enough meter for 1d1.4b and will kill the character with 400-520 from that due to the fact. Or you can hit them with 4 combos and then poke them once (his bnb off one low short does 234), kill them, then come into the next round with nearly full drive and 2 bars (again not considering meter use / blocking etc). He also builds meter passively through his zoning game, ein trigger itself does not build meter but every release does. His most simple meterless BnB builds about half a bar and 1/6th of your drive.

He's very adequate without meter for the most part as well.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:53:17 PM by LAB Falken »

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
Just going with the team you're currently using, I'd say keep Mature up front... Not only can she build a good amount of meter if you're "moving" with her properly via rushdowns, pokes, qcb+B, crossups, etc, she can do great damage with little meter. Of course every character is more effective with meter, but the beauty is she doesn't heavily rely on it like the rest of the team... Again, you have to be constantly rushing down, and doing multiple things if you want build meter rather quickly. She's very capable of building back whatever meter she spent just as fast imo...

Leona needs the most, but builds the least, and Shen is good enough to be in the middle imo, even though he can use the whole thing... I don't see many Leona players building a bunch of meter, but I'd say if you did have her at point, she'd have to do alot more than Mature would...

As far as other battery characters go, the first one that I can easily think of is Mai... The only downside to her is that she kinda has to burn some meter to do some decent damage, because most are trying to do her Neomax or some HD combo into Neomax (correct me if I'm wrong). Kula might be decent in the meter building, since she has that s.A glitch, and her "autodrive" playstyle from '99 seems to still be good in damage dealing and meter building... Yeah K' is great too...

Also, depending on how effective you are in movement, Billy can also build good meter... Meterless corner combos ending in Senpuukon and cr.C as well as using his f+A and cr.B can help build meter quickly...

Edge_Reaper

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 09:40:42 AM »
Not gonna lie, this was surprising amount of replies. Thanks everyone! Looking at it though, it might be better just to see if I could work another character in place of Leona. I was counting on having Shen on anchor because the advantage of having all that meter in which he can just run people into the ground with. Leona would have been my weakest link in any case, and she was more of a test character to see how I could get around with one of the more difficult characters in the game (in my opinion). Though it does seem K' would be a more rewarding character, and a bit more stable at that.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
Benimaru because his electricity powers will serve well when recharging a batter.

Oh wait...

Jokes aside, Benimaru wouldn't be too bad, seeing as he's considered a multi-purpose character.