Pao Pao Cafe > Social Club

What makes a particular fighting game a great game?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Proto Cloud:
In my opinion it's community, of course personal opinion is king, but I've always noticed that the quality of the community is more often than not proportional to how good the game is. Of course, you gotta put in various variables into the equation, but it's never proven me wrong. The community is a window into what kind of game you're expecting to get. The most obvious examples are DOA and SC. They perfectly portray what kind of person would like such drivel.

As for personal criteria, it's control, fun factor, strategic elements, characters and visual design.

solidshark:

--- Quote from: Saitsuofleaves on May 09, 2012, 06:03:07 PM ---Two words.

Personal opinion.  That's what makes something great or not.  It's all up to you.

--- End quote ---

Mostly this, put a few additional things I can't think of at the moment.

Stone Drum:
Of course what makes a game great is personal opinion.  That is implied in the topic.  What the OP is asking is what things do you look for in a fighter, or another way of looking at it is for what reasons do you love x game and dislike y game. 

BioBooster:
One thing I like in fgs is unique properties to chrs which adds more depth to play.

Arcsys who have done mainly non-team fighters do a great job with this in adding unique systems to chrs providing a lot to master. Almost everything they have done fits the bill - GG,BB,HNK,P4U.

MOTW was quite good in a different sense where you had chrs with dash vs hop, dong hwan w super jump, some chrs had extra SDMs etc. which made everyone unique.

It's good to see chrs with variability in gameplay outside of specials properties. That said, everything is quite standard in terms of systems for XIII, but they have done very well in providing variation there (wouldn't mind seeing a bit more though). That said, I'm happy they went standard health and variable guard meter with this game.

Maker:
I have to say this because its something i didn't expect to happen.

I have always been a SNK fan but a casual guy in that regard. I picked up KoF XIII on a whim and played it for a week or so and just got burnt out... input hell etc:.

So here i am now close to July 4th holidays taking the time to post on Dream Cancel a site i didn't know about till a few days ago. And already have found helpful posters, organized forums and amazing links and help that i didn't know existed. Why?

I realized im not challenged in my life anymore. Gaming was always my ball breaker, i like the games to be difficult, it brings satisfaction to everyone that enjoys a hard fight when you win or loose and can say you enjoyed it because of how hard it was to get there.

KoF XIII and to a lesser extent Gears of War 3 have been the only games to FORCE me to change what i do, how i think and how dedicated i am in a very long time. I never expected to latch on to this game because of the input timing and barrier as i am only passable at Blazblue. But coming back and finding that Duo Lon is very much a favorite followed pretty close by Terry and now King of all characters. I've got a nice feel for hte game and it has again FORCED me to be hard on myself again. I needed that hard kick in the groin to get motivated to do something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version