Author Topic: Ryo Sakazaki (Arcade Version)  (Read 46413 times)

Violent Ryo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Ryo Sakazaki
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
Kane:  Thanks for clarifying.

Diavle:  good observations on Ryo but the thing is thats exactly how he has been playing since 96, with the parry game being added in KOF 99 and being refined every year, but so far I think KOF XI parry has been best so far, see here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x23izcCCiaY

The Kou'ken can be used as anti air and shield and has nice priority.  From what I have seen his light version fireball is garbage compared to hard version in XIII.

His parry was always good at interrupting and punishing based on predicting, but I didn't know Rock had a parry in Garou so thanks for that.  Is it a real parry or is it a counter move with auto counter hit, like Takuma in 98?  Characters with more recognizable and predictable pokes and block strings and footsies are easier to parry.

I think the tradition of Ryo having the best dragon punch should have been maintained in this game, but it does seem pretty good just not invincible like in 98, 2002, CvS2, and SvC.

Anyway, I'd also like to see more advanced stuff from Ryo.  At least people are using his parry, but i'd like to see more advanced counters after successful parries like EX Zanretsuken and canceling the ending or EX Kou'ken into Super, or EX heinshippukyaku juggles or just simply canceling into Super or NM after parry.

But i'd like to see EX heinshippukyaku tried after a Counter hit Hard Punch+Kick in air.  And more corner juggles.

Also, Ryo players need to remember you can most likely do double dragon punches like KOF XII and SFIV.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2010, 10:46:35 PM »
Sorry, Rock's is more of a counter move with an auto-attack after. Their startup up time seems very similar though so thus the comparison.

Nice vid but can't really see that kinda stuff happening in a real match often.

More stuff will probably pop of for him and I agree that he has sort of played like this for years but there's no denying how lacking in  refinement he is compared to Takuma, Robert and Yuri.

No he cannot, they left that for Robert only (questionable if you ask me, they should have gave it to Ryo since Robert already has so many toys to play with)

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, they should have at least let him combo the dp into a fireball dm (or can he? haven't seen it). As for corner combos, I was referring to non-DC ones, ala KO12. The biggest thing I've seen him do in the corner without meter in XIII is jump in> sC> QCF+P> sD.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:39 PM »
Sorry, Rock's is more of a counter move with an auto-attack after. Their startup up time seems very similar though so thus the comparison.

More stuff will probably pop of for him and I agree that he has sort of played like this for years but there's no denying how lacking in  refinement he is compared to Takuma, Robert and Yuri.

No he cannot, they left that for Robert only (questionable if you ask me, they should have gave it to Ryo since Robert already has so many toys to play with)

Thanks for the info.

Yeah, they should have at least let him combo the dp into a fireball dm (or can he? haven't seen it). As for corner combos, I was referring to non-DC ones, ala KO12. The biggest thing I've seen him do in the corner without meter in XIII is jump in> sC> QCF+P> sD.

I think metaphysics and I were testing it out, I'm quite sure you could dp+A after the qcf+P (can't remember clearly, but I'm 80% sure we tested it) but maybe he can verify.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2010, 06:43:16 AM »
Yup both A and C work
" you fight well in the old style"

Violent Ryo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »

More stuff will probably pop of for him and I agree that he has sort of played like this for years but there's no denying how lacking in  refinement he is compared to Takuma, Robert and Yuri.

About Rock's counter okay seems Ryo is still the only character with parry heh..

About the vid, of course players aren't going to be doing open supers like that in game, but the video shows potential of his parrys because they can eat absolutely any move, even unblockables like Whip's HSDM in 2002 (not counting grabs/cmd grabs).  Seasoned players predict many moves by opponents in fighting games, so with Ryo you can take that to another level.  

So if instead of a light heinshippukyaku that the Ryos we've been seeing in the KCE vids do after parry, they did advanced combos as seen in the parry video in my last post, Ryo would easily dominate.  

Also seen in KOF XIII here at the 08:30 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDfbWosv1o&feature=player_embedded (and apparently in that combo, Ryo also supercancels a DP into EX DM on an airborne Maxima..?)

And I'll definitely attest to the refinement issue compared to the rest of the AOF cast.  Its a very hard thing to get used to and just accept being a Ryo player but at least KOF XI he got 2(!) new moves, a bad ass Hoah shikou'ken which you could use to punish incoming characters after DOWN!ing a character, and the bottle neck cut move which they didn't quite get it right or epic enough.

Thankfully in KOF XIII he has more links/combos than previous years, so am excited about the new stuff to learn and try.  EX Zanretsuken and EX Heinshippukyaku should be very fun and open to advanced combos.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 09:37:27 AM by Violent Ryo »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2010, 10:57:46 AM »
Also seen in KOF XIII here at the 08:30 mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDfbWosv1o&feature=player_embedded (and apparently in that combo, Ryo also supercancels a DP into EX DM on an airborne Maxima..?)

I guess it's Ex DM only.  I know for sure the level one DM does not work like Robert's does (anti-air DP, SC into DM).  Which in my opinion should be the same for Robert's too but whatevers...Takuma's more of exception since he doesn't have an anti-air.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2010, 03:57:59 PM »
About the vid, of course players aren't going to be doing open supers like that in game, but the video shows potential of his parrys because they can eat absolutely any move, even unblockables like Whip's HSDM in 2002 (not counting grabs/cmd grabs).  Seasoned players predict many moves by opponents in fighting games, so with Ryo you can take that to another level.

Well yes and no since, according to meta in this thread, he can no longer parry multiple hits.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »
ex dm is way faster, so when that move comes out your opponents is still very low. maybe if you dp your opponent almost touching the ground (last sec dp), you might be able to dm your opponents. dont count on it though, it might work might not.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »
Landing the regular dm after a juggle is relative to where you are. You absolutely need the corner to land it, as for the ex dm you can land anywhere because its so fast,  so you can probably anti air dp cancel into ex ranbu dm only in the corner I'll confirm this today

Edit

Anti air dp cancel works anywhere regular and ex
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 12:03:34 AM by metaphysics »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 01:37:12 AM »
Landing the regular dm after a juggle is relative to where you are. You absolutely need the corner to land it, as for the ex dm you can land anywhere because its so fast,  so you can probably anti air dp cancel into ex ranbu dm only in the corner I'll confirm this today

Edit

Anti air dp cancel works anywhere regular and ex

WHAT?!?  You sure, wow I'm happy to be wrong since he needed that tool.  I might just pick him up now :)

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:24 AM »
First I tried it in training and set the com to jump towards me and I was able to do it anywhere, with either one, then I played arcade and did it once there

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 02:27:35 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the testing and confirmation.

Guess the guy in the JP vid mistimed it.

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:11 AM »
What vid was that by the way I wanna see it

EDIT

Never mind just saw it and I'm bamboozled lol, bc it worked every time I tried it the only thing i could think of that I didn't test was the version I only tried C version, so I think they tried to cancel of of A version and it missed, sorry I forgot to consider that, I'll get to the bottom of this lol
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:03:15 AM by metaphysics »

Violent Ryo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2010, 06:18:45 AM »
good news, wonder if dp s.cancel into haoh ken super works

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2010, 10:49:45 PM »
What vid was that by the way I wanna see it

EDIT

Never mind just saw it and I'm bamboozled lol, bc it worked every time I tried it the only thing i could think of that I didn't test was the version I only tried C version, so I think they tried to cancel of of A version and it missed, sorry I forgot to consider that, I'll get to the bottom of this lol

while your getting at the bottom of that shit, try some of the juggles with ryo i mentioned in the post above. most of these juggle starters should leave your opoonent high enough to juggle with either 2 HCB+D's then juggle on with dp (and onwards if you got dc or more ex bars). or at least 1 HCB+D and a zanretsuken (which, again can be combos on if you got more EX's).

also, you can cancel a normal move into the ex version of it, so just theoritically:

jump D, s.C, dp (dc), HCB+D, f-b-f+P, ex f-b-f+AC (if possible), HCB+D, and juggle on with maybe even another hcb or dp or super or even a zanretsuken.

man people need to do some ryo training, his juggle posibilieties are probably the most overlooked of pretty much all the characters. sure, hes no tak, but could be one of the closest to him in terms of juggling (with dc and ex obviously).
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!