Author Topic: Review  (Read 6623 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Review
« on: September 24, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
Since I've yet to find a full or intricate review for KOFXIII online yet, was wondering if any of the AI players, or anyone for that matter could give us their full impression.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Review
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »
I think it's been said and talked about many times especially in the first weeks.

It's too long to type so I'll summarize:  Best...KOF...ever.  

I'll add that it's still gathering a crowd to watch on busy nights, Keno, one of the top SFIV players (at least in AI where SF is way more popular) was caught watching XIII.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:10:15 AM by Kane317 »

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 09:55:49 PM »
not to mention Justin Wong actually playing the game, I think it's on youtube.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »
not to mention Justin Wong actually playing the game, I think it's on youtube.

Now that's just misleading.

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 02:34:43 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he always play the series casually?  I seem to remember him saying something about playing 98 frequently at CTF.

Zabel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 05:05:22 AM »
Yeah he's always played casually.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
best kof? and i didn't even play KOF XIII yet...

winner - KOF XIII
2nd - KOF XI
3rd - 2k2UM
my personal favorite - KOF 97
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »
personally i find 98 to be the best kof, 97 is a close second imo. 95 for that old school zoning greatness and turtling. 94 and 96 where horrible. 99 was a big disapointment, 2000 was better but still meh imo. 01 had some great combos but wasnt all that either. 02 was not my cup of tea. 03 was bad, but not neowave bad. 11 was decent, but i jhated the combo breakers and it had one of the shittiest character to choose from.

12 sucked donky balls. 13 looks like the greatest kof ever. especially if they tune it right (infinites, glitches and bugs, reballancing k, lizzy, raiden and possibly kula).
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Cronopio

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:38:02 PM »
If they rebalance it right and polish the HD system a bit they could have a good KOF. Maybe in a few revisions. Right now there's just too little variety, both in characters and play styles.

fujifujifujifuji

• New Challenger
  • Kiru!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
I have to give in man...KOFXIII is good, better than good. In the simplest form of word: Awesome. But I don't think it have what it takes to be the best KOF yet (by a very small margin though), It can still be even BETTER. I'll just sit here and wait and see. Man, KOF 98 is a huge shoe to fill.

and yes, we do need a bit more variety.
Dude, Relax!

Chowdizzle

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
I have to give in man...KOFXIII is good, better than good. In the simplest form of word: Awesome. But I don't think it have what it takes to be the best KOF yet (by a very small margin though), It can still be even BETTER. I'll just sit here and wait and see. Man, KOF 98 is a huge shoe to fill.

and yes, we do need a bit more variety.

Too little variety? From watching vids and seeing all the different options I was under he impression this game had a ridiculous amount of variety.

Unless you mean in what character's are chosen then I'll agree, do you mean in combos though?

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 05:52:08 PM »
I think he meant character choice.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 09:28:23 PM »
most logical answer would be character choice. theres lots of shoto characters in it (which normally should mean that the US should love it). the game lacks characters in the amount of characters they got (for kof standards), and in the amount of play styles they got. characters like yamazaki, oswald, anhel, gai and the likes are characters you have to pretty much specialize in to play effectivelly. a lot of the other characters in 13 are like switching from ryu to ken to gouki to dan to sakura. theres a difference but you can learn them all pretty fast. especially for vets, the norma characters are really easy to get into and learn. some even pretty easy to master in a short time. thats why kof needs more characters and a more diverse cast (like 98/02). the gimmick characters are not well represented in this kof imo.

next kof could take care of that potentially, by adding character changes (which doesnt even need to be done, since most chars are pretty much complete cept for a move or 2). something like the 96 boss team would be pretty awesome. same for oswald and yamazaki. characters like anhel, gato, hayato, silber, gai and jyazu would really spice things up imo.

problem is, the huge amount of time it takes to create characters. they really should have outsourced some most of the in between sprites to cheaper countries like korea/china and such. for instance, kyo has 6 frames during his fb, make the snkp artists do the middle frame and the final frame of the attack. let the others being outsourced do the frames in between them.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Chowdizzle

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 09:48:04 PM »
I see, though 12 as we know was a failed reboot and it's obvious the reasons they don't have all the characters is the redone sprites. The game is a lot easier to pick up than previous SNK games and I feel that's what they are going for. Before they really kick in the complications they want to attract a new fanbase through simplified but still fun gameplay. I've played KoF 98' and that's not that bad but games like Garou and NGBC can be overwhelming to the new comer. So I can agree the game could use more variety but as a relatively new person to SNK fighters it's really exciting for me. Though for the veterans I can see your frustration, this game is pretty much the bare minimum for you to be into it.

I'd love to see Gato as a redone sprite and I'd love to see Terry's feints from Garou with the infinite block string back too! Not really but TBH I loved seeing that done, trying it on my own was... lol I can't do it.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 11:50:30 PM »
@MUSO: i don't really think there are any gimmick characters in xiii. sure, some of them are different than the standard, but gimmick characters are short lived in kof.

and i'm not sure outsourcing was even possible, if i'm not mistaken, they tried to find people but came up empty handed. and if they tried paying 2 rates for the same work, it would just cause a huge problem in house.
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^