Author Topic: Dune's perspective on KOFXIII  (Read 21753 times)

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Dune's perspective on KOFXIII
« on: September 26, 2010, 10:25:35 AM »
this morning i translated a brief interview between Dune and Kofunion (the original link is http://bbs.kofunion.net/read.php?tid=163899 (all in chinese)) about KOFXIII.

At first the dudes talked about tougeki's matches, and Dune told the guy that he prefered the 2k2um ones. Then they talked about the tougeki's winners & co.

Now about KOFXIII:
as soon as the Tougeki ended KOFXIII started to die:

-lag issue. the feeling ,for lots of 13 players, was like 98um's. The lag issue is also due to the monitor on the arcade machines
-jumps/defense problems, for ex. K's D jump is not that accurate so the guard can be fucked up pretty easily. Moreover, cause of the lag the defense is not that accurate as in the previous kofs
-raiden should be tuned down a little bit, but the most awful thing is the infinites and the ex glitches
-then he argued that SNKPLAYMORE doesnt give a shit about the game anymore, thats another reason why the game is falling apart.Furthermore SNK is going back to mobilephones,psp and slotmachine games..so...
-dune's opinion about kof13 is that is going to be the last KOF... then he said that it's just his point of view but it's really difficut not to be pessimistic

At the end he said that he still likes the game but then he's just one guy, most of the players just went back to 2k2um/98um...

edit: sorry for any grammar mistakes but it's quite early and i'm really tired xD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:41:14 PM by Kane317 »

KOF XIII: billy, ralf, clark
KOF XII: ralf,kyo,ryo

FataCon

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Dune's KOFXIII
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
it's quite sad to read actually. with the showing that was KOFXII, and knowing how poorly it was accepted, you'd have thought that SNK would have fully backed KOFXIII to continue their most popular franchise. it seemed like initially the hardcore fanbase loved it (and people are still enjoying the "newness" of it). as fun as it is to watch and play, unless SNK does work on it, the balancing could really take a toll on the longevity of KOFXIII, which is rather unfortunate. here's hoping that SNK sticks to their guns and keeps KOF alive.

Gramas

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
what AI guys think about that?_?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »

My opinion is, they of course need to patch it up and fix balance issues.  Whether this will be the last KOF is too hard to tell, there are too many conflicting arguments (sold out world-wide vs bugs) to tell this early.  As far as lag, the first 2 weeks we experienced a slight loading lag when it was saying round 1, but then it disappeared for till last week I saw it again last week.  It never lagged in game where it matters the most.

Overall, I think we love XIII too much to really care what the rest of the world thinks.  Even the hardcore former 2k2'ers--Huntington Park aka Cali-Mexicans aka Team Chaos, all say they love XIII more when I ask them (it's funny coz between waiting for their turns they'll go play 2k2um, win the majority of the time, then come back and play XIII.  I'll ask them which one they like better and they all smile and say XIII).  I think that's why there's a general lack of interest in any of DG's tourneys (with all due respect) coz everyone is focused on XIII.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:40:01 PM by Kane317 »

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »

My opinion is, they of course need to patch it up and fix balance issues.  Whether this will be the last KOF is too hard to tell, there are too many conflicting arguments (sold out world-wide vs bugs) to tell this early.  As far as lag, the first 2 weeks we experienced a slight loading lag when it was saying round 1, but then it disappeared for till last week I saw it again last week.  It never lagged in game where it matters the most.

Overall, I think we love XIII too much to really care what the rest of the world thinks.  Even the hardcore former 2k2'ers--Huntington Park aka Cali-Mexicans aka Team Chaos, all say they love XIII more when I ask them (it's funny coz between waiting for their turns they'll go play 2k2um, win the majority of the time, then come back and play XIII.  I'll ask them which one they like better and they all smile and say XIII).  I think that's why there's a general lack of interest in any of DG's tourneys (with all due respect) coz everyone is focused on XIII.

thats good to hear from u guys!! at least 13 seems to get some love in the US
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:40:24 PM by Kane317 »

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 04:57:36 PM »
it would be hysterical if this were the first kof where it got more popular outside of asia than therein...
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 05:17:42 PM »
I can see where he's coming from b/c Japan seems to be all about whoring those tiers/glitches/infinites. Their match vids are abundant with these and I'm sure their arcades are even more so.

AI vids on the other hand seem to have a bigger focus on picking characters they like and rolling with them which makes the game more fun for them to play and for us to watch.

Hope the guy isn't right about the SNK abandoning the game, it will definitely have legs in the arcade worldwide if they patch it.

I wonder if someone can confirm the game being ignored at the arcades there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:29:53 PM by Diavle »

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
fuck man, snkp better fix this shit up or sell the property to arks or namco or whatever. motherfuckers, damn.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
If the scene is dying as stated, it's all the more reason for SNKP to get the game patched and ported to home console. There are lots of fans interested in the game who have not been able to play it yet. Get that shit released so that the game is given a proper chance.

Aion

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 07:45:39 PM »
*never mind me moaning, but I still stand by my point*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:08:16 PM by Aion »

Aion

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »
*delete*
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:07:28 PM by Aion »

Dandy J

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:28 PM »
so you dont trust who is basically the head of the kof community in japan because of

1. the characters he uses (that YOU see)

im sure he knows a hell of a lot more about snk than you, considering he actually yknow, IS JAPANESE AND LIVES IN JAPAN lol

you also have no idea what its like to be in a competitive environment at a level where you are forced to pick top tiers or lose. or maybe you are and just dont realize it...how high do you place in big tournaments for any game?

and the stuff about liking the characters is just lol....haha. well anyway thanks for your post it was really funny

Chlorophylle

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »
Some clarification from the Professor from MMcafé.

An interview between Dune and KOFUnion is being reposted all over the place. I kind of wonder how much of his original wordings have been lost in double translation, but just to clarify a few points,

1.It's well known, but there are lags in the current arcade setups due to the TypeX family interface and LCD latency in Viewlix cabinets. The upcoming hardware update in December is supposed to improve things, but as of up until now, it's present in all games.

It's usually not that big of an issue since the games are developed with the latency in mind. KOF98UM however, wasn't a game created for the system, so people were complaining from Day 1 that there was some lag. On the other hand, KOFXIII was developed with the latency in mind, but because of that, the game feels a bit different compared to previous KOFs. Nevertheless, the game's jump system remains the same as previous KOFs, which is where the problem arises. Many players are saying that the latency makes it hard to guard K's jumps in a nick of time, and that it also makes it hard to defend by hitting jump-ins with pokes compared to previous KOFs. (IMO, it's something that can be easily fixed.)

2. SNKP very obviously put a lot of effort into KOFXIII, but they're a small company with limited resources and limited connections. With the president switching seats, it's too early to tell what roadmap the company will be taking in the future.

3. Dune and his comrades are seasoned KOF players, so it's natural that they'd go back to play their old favorite games now that Tougeki is over. The real issue however, is that KOFXIII thus far has not achieved new young audiences. In comparison, Arksys has been working with an effective marketing strategy for the Blazblue franchise, spending money on top voice actors and running promotion campaigns through nicovideo.

fiol

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »
Some clarification from the Professor from MMcafé.

An interview between Dune and KOFUnion is being reposted all over the place. I kind of wonder how much of his original wordings have been lost in double translation, but just to clarify a few points,

1.It's well known, but there are lags in the current arcade setups due to the TypeX family interface and LCD latency in Viewlix cabinets. The upcoming hardware update in December is supposed to improve things, but as of up until now, it's present in all games.

It's usually not that big of an issue since the games are developed with the latency in mind. KOF98UM however, wasn't a game created for the system, so people were complaining from Day 1 that there was some lag. On the other hand, KOFXIII was developed with the latency in mind, but because of that, the game feels a bit different compared to previous KOFs. Nevertheless, the game's jump system remains the same as previous KOFs, which is where the problem arises. Many players are saying that the latency makes it hard to guard K's jumps in a nick of time, and that it also makes it hard to defend by hitting jump-ins with pokes compared to previous KOFs. (IMO, it's something that can be easily fixed.)

2. SNKP very obviously put a lot of effort into KOFXIII, but they're a small company with limited resources and limited connections. With the president switching seats, it's too early to tell what roadmap the company will be taking in the future.

3. Dune and his comrades are seasoned KOF players, so it's natural that they'd go back to play their old favorite games now that Tougeki is over. The real issue however, is that KOFXIII thus far has not achieved new young audiences. In comparison, Arksys has been working with an effective marketing strategy for the Blazblue franchise, spending money on top voice actors and running promotion campaigns through nicovideo.

well more or less it's what i wrote (i just sum up)

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »
They sound like nitpicky whiners if you ask me...  KoFXIII is PERFECT other than a few obvious things that will be patched.