Author Topic: KOF Community Growth and Outreach  (Read 39574 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF Community Growth and Outreach
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2012, 08:13:54 AM »
Why King of Fighters XIII? #FGC

I like guys like this being outspoken on XIII and why he chose it over everything else as a main game.

"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:37 PM »
I know it sounds strange but to me the community is a double edged sword. You feel obligated to play as many people as possible as long as the game is even halfway playable, but when it comes down to it most fighters (especially THIS game) promote bad habits when you play them with a lot of lag. Since the patch I feel stagnant on the progression of my skills cause of playing with lag caused me to be discombulated with what I want to do to improve.

It sucks when I play such skilled players from this community and have to quit after one match, but I realized if I ever want to improve here being picky on who I play (4 bars or arcade mode) is going to be the only way I feel I will improve.

I feel the community could improve immensely with a better netcode, but IMHO the tools to improve your game online are there. The problem is when you play fighters like Capcom titles patience for waiting for matches is too hard for new players to do when you play other games that have matches 24/7.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
Why King of Fighters XIII? #FGC

I like guys like this being outspoken on XIII and why he chose it over everything else as a main game.

We need more videos like this from the community & especially from Majors, Summer Jam could be a great start, I'll post on the thread for it on here & on SRK to see if anyone is up to the task. I'd try to do it myself but I can't make it due to funds so hopefully someone will be willing to make a stand on it. In regards to netplay, there's no point in beating a dead horse, we all know that the community would get #'s & support beyond our imagination, but let's just work with getting together with people who live in reasonable distances & sometimes reach out to those who are really far as well. I'm sure everyone's tried to get people or friends that play UMvC3/SSFIVAE2012/etc. fighting game to try it & while at first it seems like a good idea, at this point, if they aren't interested in playing through watching others, then they more than likely won't. That's not to say that they may NOT ever be interested BUT putting in people's faces who don't want to play by self-interest is just wasting time.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2012, 05:55:02 PM »
In regards to netplay, there's no point in beating a dead horse, we all know that the community would get #'s & support beyond our imagination, but let's just work with getting together with people who live in reasonable distances & sometimes reach out to those who are really far as well.

Good netplay gives games better longevity than ones that don't.

People will be playing KOF on GGPO until the wheels fall off.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
In regards to netplay, there's no point in beating a dead horse, we all know that the community would get #'s & support beyond our imagination, but let's just work with getting together with people who live in reasonable distances & sometimes reach out to those who are really far as well.

Good netplay gives games better longevity than ones that don't.

People will be playing KOF on GGPO until the wheels fall off.

Yeah & everyone who's reading this knows that but why keep stressing an something that's probably too much $, take a VERY LONG TIME, and keep putting it in the company's face for an issue they have little to no concern about, since the word for this game is that the netplay held back it's maximum potential, I'm more than confident that SNKP & if Atlus publishes the next game (be it the next KOF, Garou, etc.) they'll pay special detail to the netcode & an actual good developer for it.
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

pandamanana

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »

Thanks for linking my video. Although I'm geographically impaired, I'm doing my best to introduce friends and any of my Youtube viewers to King of Fighters. If you guys have any suggestions for ways I can help the KoF community grow, I'd be glad to listen.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, pandamanana.

You mentioned that you're in Southern Massachusetts. Do you ever travel to Boston to check out the scene there? Plus how big is the fighting game scene in your current area? Have you ever thought about traveling to NYC for the things they are doing there?

choysauce

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
i guess we gotta start a campaign to hound snkp for better netcode.

how would we go about this, and how far would we be willing to give if snkp needed some sort of support to follow through?

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »
I don't know. Altus tried their best when we let them know about it

pandamanana

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2012, 09:08:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum, pandamanana.

You mentioned that you're in Southern Massachusetts. Do you ever travel to Boston to check out the scene there? Plus how big is the fighting game scene in your current area? Have you ever thought about traveling to NYC for the things they are doing there?

I don't travel to Boston, but it'd be pretty easy for me to. As for my area, it's mostly Street Fighter or MK9 players, although I've been trying to get people into KoF. A few training sessions here and there.
I'd be really interested to go down to NYC and LI to play, especially at something like the Kumate. Might plan a trip next time I have some time off.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
I don't know. Altus tried their best when we let them know about it

Yeah, I think we are stuck with what we currently have...Plus, I bet Atlus right now is very busy with promoting other games that are currently out (like P4A) than to bother SNKP with another netcode patch. Publishing patches aren't free from what I have heard.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 12:40:05 AM »
i heard it costs 20 grand to put a patch out on XBLA (got that on the skullgirls forum).
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

Nagato1992

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:57 AM »
-Hold weekly practice/teaching/casuals for KOF XIII. This is where you need to know the game more than anyone else. Bring your system, show off some good replays to them, and one thing that worked for me is uploading some tutorial vids I found online, like Dandy J's and showing those there. And show them the active difference between how you can play restrictively like SF, or how to take advantage of more of the systems.

-If there's a big tournament close to you that has KOF XIII, but you're short on funds, see if you can get a carpool going with a few guys. Pitch in, and as they're going for AE, MVC, etc., you go for KOF.

-Like choysauce mentioned, start up and keep a social network group going for KOF locals, facebook, twitter, something. Or keep up KOF content in the facebook group your local scene already has (Max playing KOF XIII, tournament from _________, etc.

And a question for you guys, is this a good enough place to talk about actual attempts at scenes and where they stand, or just ideas?

Right now, the only practice I get is online with some upstate people.  One in North Carolina and the other is in New York iirc.  3 and 4 bar connections and they are pretty good. 

As for carpooling, I just did that not too long ago for KoF.  Both of my friends went for Marvel/VF primarily, and I went for KoF.

I have tried my best to help people/friends out here in AL, some just live too far out and we dont have good net down here so we're always lvl 2 connections(the bad 2 bars, some 2 bars are acceptable) so we never can play.  I thought about driving out to them to play, but IRL expenses really cut in to the gas money for said 45 min-hour and a half drives so I can never play with them.  Some people quit because I beat them with their own team in previous tournaments IN A WAY TO SHOW THEM WHAT THEIR CHARACTER CAN DO.  Instead of saying good stuff, one actually said "I can't keep up with you, I might as well give up."  I was like really?  Getting good is not a 1 week thing.  I grinded for weeks to get where I am and still do.  I have put in  OVER 300 hours on my console alone(one I do not bring to casuals) so that tells you how much I play KoF.  While playing these guys, they KNOW I am considered one of the better players in the Southeastern region and they dont really ask me for advice and always think I'm trolling them.  The other good guys in KoF in my state moved on to VF and Marvel because we basically scared off most people from KoF.  Now I have to expect out of state people to show up at tourneys to play anyone around here now, especially with Persona in the picture.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »
Yeah, if you don't have a big local scene you're kinda' SOL and have to rely on online and practice mode.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

pandamanana

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2012, 03:01:33 AM »
Yeah, if you don't have a big local scene you're kinda' SOL and have to rely on online and practice mode.

That's not all bad though. I've been training mode-ing it up for months now and I love the game.