Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186593 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #270 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:12 AM »

Alright guys I am starting a new discussion here so please I want to hear your thoughts.

How do you pick your characters in the game? what are your standards? Did you pick a character which you like but he/she doesn't suit you (it happened to me and I HATE IT!).

For picking main characters, I usually go by appearance, whos not so often picked (mid/lower tier), and movesets. This has served me well for nearly any fighter. If I've picked a fighter that did not suit me at some point, I just adapt myself until he or she does; makes me learn new things.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 13, 2012, 03:45:45 AM »
How do you pick your characters in the game? what are your standards? Did you pick a character which you like but he/she doesn't suit you (it happened to me and I HATE IT!).

I choose based on a combination of playstyle and character design. As the first thing I look at is how the character plays for things like moveset, mobility as I tend to play more speedy characters, sometimes the annoying zoning types or the quick mixup/rushdown characters (I never play grapplers also). As well even though it may be a bit limiting I hate playing characters that have an overly "cutesy" or "childish" look (especially in anime fighters) and I tend to look at who I think looks "cool" or unique in some way. Additionally I don't really take tiers into consideration when choosing characters (not to say they don't matter) I just have more fun playing a character regardless of my odds of winning or the matchup etc.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 13, 2012, 04:39:20 AM »
Typically I like really fast aggressive characters. Preferably with some sort of command grab, but failing that they must have some sort of move -even if it's technically bad- some kind of special move or Super or whatever that goes through projectile zoning. I tend to avoid Rekka characters because my thumbs hurt like crazy after training with them, even if I'm not mashing. Shoto's I find to be extremely boring and over used characters.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

nightmoves

• Strongest Tiger
  • STAND UP!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »
That's a good question. To be honest I never really gave too much thought into the types of characters I like to play, as I try not to limit myself to one playstyle or character set.

I play rushdowns, zoners, ones with good ranges, grapplers, rekka/chainers, whomever I feel suits my needs(and of course, regardless of tiers)

For example, in KoF 98, I ended up playing a team of Terry, Benimaru, and Iori. Since these characters are in all the KoF's, I end up playing them in every other KoF I play, including XIII.

Then there's characters I almost never touch in any KoF, like Chin, Clark, Leona, Kasumi, just to name a few.

I guess if I had to pinpoint the exact types of characters I enjoy playing the most(using the aforementioned three in mind), I like character with good rushdowns, speed, disorienting normals, and good command normals.

yamazaky96

• Strongest Tiger
  • Drunken fist
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi team Page
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
I like fast and aggressive characters
thats why most of my characters are females  ;)
a character who have command grabs and Counters suits me so well
but of course If I loved a character no matter how good its I will master it and do my best using it
i play Hinaku, Bao and Xiangfei in KOF02um and I believe its the strongest team ever
speaking of the characters I love
KOF XIII dont have any of my favorites and I find the cast boring and simple with less moves and more invincibility 

UAE's KOF casuals and tournaments
www.youtube.com/user/yamazaky96

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2012, 09:15:24 AM »

Thanks for the contribution guys. As for me I tend to play rushdown characters mostly. I pick my characters based on their personality and looks mostly but if I liked a characters gameplay even though I didnt like his personality and looks I tend to pick him/her. The character that I liked and he didnt feel suitable to me was Iori both of his variations; I have no Idea why to tell you the truth. He just didnt feel natural to me. Some characters when I pick them they just click with me, unfortunately Iori isn't one of them.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 13, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
Since my last question got no answers in this thread, now I want to ask: do you guys follow KOF XIII streams and players often, and if so, which streams/players and have you learned anything significant from them?
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 13, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

I dont really follow any streams mainly because of the time difference. Lately I've been busy with my KoF group, trying to find ways to level up our gameplay and I am busy with life also. I would really like to watch Reynald's streams as he is my favorite player (him and Mr.KoF; I relate to reynald gameplay-wise) but as I said the time difference is huge.

Great_Dark_Hero

• Scion of Flame
  • Lame puns are long gone
    • View Profile
    • Techno Panic Fighting Game Project
« Reply #278 on: September 13, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
This is one of the games where I can simply play the characters that I like, while carefully accessing what tools they have available for them. For play style (offline), I resort to passive aggressive play.
If any of you were to see me offline or with a (coincidentally good connection) I will basically play like a Mortal Kombat II CPU but without the blatant disobedience or disregard of the game system mechanic set ups.
So I will most play characters that with a fast walk speed for ground control, pretty much accessing all of the characters strengths as much as possible, as well baiting, reactionary movement, and punish combos).

I play EX Kyo for the sake of familiarization because I play him a lot on CVS, CVS2, KOF98, KOF03, KOF02UM, and KOFXI. I also enjoy his overall character and he makes for a very unique and not so standard protagonist. He reflects my traits on fundamental aspects of KOF fighting games.

For Mai Shiranui... I did play her a lot in 98 (EX Mai specifically) and she had also been a main character for me on CVS2 (with Rock Howard being my priority, as well as playing a quarter of the cast for fundamental and counter-picking measures). Mai is and always will be eye candy for me as I find her pretty funny and hot as hell. My original intent for KOFXIII was to troll people with her. I didn't really think she would be as good as I thought in KOFXIII... until I went to an event in World Game Cup (Cannes, France) encountered another Mai player who nearly OCV'd me. Ever sense then, I got motivated to play Mai in this game too. She pretty much represents my liking of particular strong female characters (and in general). Also she literally does have the tools I need for my play style. An air throw, good keep away, some high priority normals, quick movements, intense corner juggles, an easy 809 damage HD combo for two stock, and a good Neo Max.

Basically, should the game be manageable in the balance department, I will play characters that I like, but I will also access what kind of tools they have so that I won't lose so easily, especially if a tournament is involved. The other characters I am guaranteed to play are Beni, Terry, Joe, Ash, Ryo, Claw Iori, EX Iori, Mature, Vice, Betty, Duo Lon, King, Yuri, K', Kula, Athena, and Leona for the same reasons mentioned above on game play aspects.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:17:49 AM by Great_Dark_Hero »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 13, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
One other thing. I tend to play evil/bad guy characters. I think it stems from me growing up on Horror films and I always picked Claw in SF2 because he kinda' looked like Jason and plus he had a claw. I lean towards evil or at least morally ambiguous characters, and that's partially why I have Billy and Hwa on my team.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:11:45 PM by LouisCipher »
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

baccano1932

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:26 AM »
Since my last question got no answers in this thread, now I want to ask: do you guys follow KOF XIII streams and players often, and if so, which streams/players and have you learned anything significant from them?

I don't really have the time to watch that many streams, when I do it's usually only the bigger tournaments and sometimes replays on Youtube. In terms of specific players I don't watch for anyone specific when it comes to XIII, although in some other games I try to look for some specific people.
"simply learning does not make one learned there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding".

Proto Cloud

• Legendary Wolf
  • PRAISE THE SUN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 14, 2012, 07:18:31 AM »
Fuck SNK. KOF IS NEVER COMING BACK.

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2012, 07:19:19 AM »
shitstorm in 3...2...1

Tyrant292

• Scion of Flame
  • I have no regrets
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »

and why is that?

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2012, 10:55:40 AM »

Of course we all hope you're prediction is wrong, but do you have proof of this from somewhere, or are you just being dramatic?
-Terry Bogard, 1995