Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186596 times)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #420 on: October 02, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
It makes sense for the scene to shrink, sadly. TTT2 is great, and doa5 seems fun aswell. And other games that aren't as hot atleast has the online aspect going for them. I still wouldn't travel for any 2d fighter except kofxiii though.

I think snkp should proceed as they seem to have planned; New game, better netcode. Sooner or later all the bits and pieces should fall together.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #421 on: October 02, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »
KOF community is just too small and divided, that, and the only form of playable online KOF is on emulators. Doesn't help that SNK doesn't interact with fans at all either.

They need to prepare a new game definitely, and at least not fuck up the netcode this time. They already have 2 strikes against them, if you don't count their XBL titles.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: October 02, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
Part of me wonder if MAD said that partly in a joking sense, though it could be true with the timing (two new big fighters including a new Tekken, in a country sporting Tekken TV shows and a museum I think).

Also, on Eventhubs, the guy that did the translating for MAD said there was more that MAD and Lacid said that didn't get included in that stream pic:

Cafeid_Koogle said 5 hours, 19 minutes ago

Hi, I did the translation on Twitch Tv chat while Mad Kof was speaking. I was typing fast and last few sentences didn't make it onto Twitch Tv chat.

Mad Kof and Lacid said "Please support KoF13 and play the game."
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/oct/01/madkof-king-fighters-scene-getting-smaller-might-give-and-go-back-real-life/#c397665

So even if MADKoF really does leave XIII, it won't deter me, nor should that be the biggest reason to deter others from playing. With all the offline tournaments they're having in Korea for KOFXIII this month, that should be evidence enough that he's actively trying to prevent the scene from shrinking. I'm hoping he gets results out where he is.

A couple of reasons why this is happening (IMHO): Too many fighters that are easier to get into and more people playing. A lack of a local scene for a majority of people. Bad online. Creating a vicious circle.

How this can be amended:

SNKP signs off on CVS2 HD. Free publicity for them and there's not a ton of money for Digital releases (at least in comparison with modern fighters) and best of all the game does not take away competition from recent games.

Would open the door for CVS3/SVC2 and build more hype and get more exposure. Not saying another game has to happen, but if it builds interest it could then be used to hype up...

KOF13 UM/14/Garou 2 with GGPO.

Agree with your "why this is happening," but your "amending" is good more in theory than what would probably happen for real. Free publicity of SNK fighter's existence was more relevant back around CVS2's release, but more people are aware through XIII at least; and free publicity doesn't necessarily get people into playing SNK games (I remember trying by showing people KOF98 to no avail when CVS2 got a PS2 release). SNKP itself is the one that needs to act more, if it can. More releases, digital or otherwise. Since that will take time, community pushes are still valid. Keep bringing the game to offline gatherings, try creating offline gatherings, find someone online with a good connection who can be a good training partner, etc.

Also, seriously, has a current console game that had a physical disc release used GGPO yet? And since games that have been on GGPO now aren't guaranteed to have GGPO quality netcode through digital releases (3S & Jojo lately), probably better to ask specifically for rollback, or better yet solid, far-reaching netcode (don't know if there's a word for that).
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 02, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
@ RW - Plus the community won't grow if they keep fucking up the netcode. All those attending SFIV/mvc3 tourneys trained on arcades? I doubt it. People today work 10 hours/day. SO they will prefer convenience over quality any time.

Well XIII is certainly a step to the right direction. Time will show.

@SS - A company that most of its titles are FG should create their own inhouse netcode IMO. I think if SNKp is working on a new title their safest bet is to program it to work with GGPO if they dont plan to make their own netcode. They cannot just add GGPO later and expect it to work.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:53:02 AM by Eripio69 »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: October 02, 2012, 09:05:13 AM »

Also, seriously, has a current console game that had a physical disc release used GGPO yet? And since games that have been on GGPO now aren't guaranteed to have GGPO quality netcode through digital releases (3S & Jojo lately), probably better to ask specifically for rollback, or better yet solid, far-reaching netcode (don't know if there's a word for that).

Can't think of a console release but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure HD didn't use GGPO. MVC Origins did though and I've heard nothing but good shit from the diehards except the games don't have turbo mode online and training mode is lacking. They're going to be fixing 3SOE soonish.

I believe Arc's game use rollback netcode. Not specifically GGPO though. So did Strekken.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #425 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
SFxT had ass online.

I think TTT2 is the best online in a fighting game right now.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: October 02, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »
You got rid of it before the online patch, right? All I know is that the online is preferred (mostly) over SF4 and Marvel's netcode.

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: October 02, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Off Topic: Capcom USA had no idea that Capcom Japan released CvS2 for PSN hahahaha

The article says that there were some legal issues that were solved and that's why they are able to port CvS2 on pSN now
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/sep/20/svensson-responds-capcom-vs-snk-2s-release-japanese-playstation-network/

KLSADAKO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: October 02, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »

so what was going on with NYChrisG, I heard he forfeited his match with Romance in winners final, but shows up for his top 8 match against Juicebox..
He just forfeited the match, not the whole tournament. He was defeated by Juicebox in losers.
[/quote]

Doesn't seem to make much sense, what if he was to face him again or another top player he would forfeit again, wheres the logic in that, it defeats the whole point of competition..

I dun see what all the fuss is about juicebox commentary..
I think he's one of the best, becos he explains alot about frame advantage, mix-ups, what moves are invincible, etc..
yeh he goes over the top with HD combos and is a bit bias towards Socal players, but thats minor..

I think SBA is the best KOF XIII tournament I have watched after EVO.

I think its scary jusy how good the Cafe ID players are, considering their community in Korean is not nearly as big as US..

I was really surprised that BALA did not switch to Chin during any of the times he fought Lacid, becos in the 3 v 3, he showed that his Chin can cause all sorts of problems even against Madkof..

Did anyone watch the OCV Lacid did on Oscar, the first round I thought Oscar gave up as Lacid ran up and threw him 5 times in one round..

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: October 02, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
I thought Bala's trolling of Justin Wong's keepaway fireball game was one of the highlights.

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #430 on: October 02, 2012, 08:33:31 PM »
one of the games between Justin and Flocker had a hilarious Athena reflector war, def one of the highlights and on par with ChrisG and Steve Harrison's Kyo mirror fireball slug.
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

Ashspiralingblood

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Free publicity would be great if it means snkp seeing a noticeable increase in buyers buying their xbla and neogeo station game, other than that this seems like a really dumb move on their part

If i was snkp I'll would talk with capcom to get both CVS2 and SVC choas into a double pack and sell it for $20, I'm sure that there is enough people willing to pay $20 bucks for CVS2 alone, personally I'll enjoy both
Capcom get their half, snkp get their half, SONY and MS get their fee, Everyone win

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
You got rid of it before the online patch, right? All I know is that the online is preferred (mostly) over SF4 and Marvel's netcode.

Ummmmm....... no. I played it from day one and the online then was better. Now most the matches I play are unstable easy spammable piles of garbage. Just like Playmore either they moved something over to a suckier server (I know it's supposed to be Peer to Peer but this always happens where the first month plays amazing then reality sets in), or they broke something online on their end. Betting the 4 player battles are killing it in some way.

I did appreciate the taming of the spammable crap on the update but when I get full bars and the match still plays like garbage I have my doubts. For some consolable degree at least Capcom can have issues with netcode as well.

On the other front when it comes to the US. Unless it has online it would be pointless to release and the Japanese product does not. I did like that Sven from capcom is looking into how the loophole works and if it's possible to bring it to the US w/ online.

To a certain degree CVS2 would be good for KOF cause the high combo potential could translate into gamers wanting to play XIII after they like what CVS2 could do but honestly I doubt it will make that big of a splash. The bad netcode has pretty much killed XIII and until they can figure out how to make it workable with their fighting game system I doubt anything will come of it. My bet is the next SNK game will take the online into account and make the game itself work around the online rather then trying to make the online work around the game. Meaning the fighting system will be considerably slower and possibly simpler (i.e. more laxed inputs, delays on combos like SFIV). Time will tell. 
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 03, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
I thought Bala's trolling of Justin Wong's keepaway fireball game was one of the highlights.

Link please :D i miss it.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #434 on: October 03, 2012, 06:48:38 PM »
My bet is the next SNK game will take the online into account and make the game itself work around the online rather then trying to make the online work around the game. Meaning the fighting system will be considerably slower and possibly simpler (i.e. more laxed inputs, delays on combos like SFIV). Time will tell. 

I agree with this. KOF as a whole is a very reactionary and strict game either needs rollback to work well online or a change in the fighting engine system to a degree. It seems to be one of the only fighting games that I know of that has trouble getting good online play on consoles.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."