Author Topic: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012  (Read 186624 times)

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII 8th General Thread: KOF EVOlving 2012
« Reply #450 on: October 05, 2012, 02:52:33 AM »
If you're playing online with someone in the same state chances are it's going to be playable. Otherwise it has the appearance of being playable but you quickly realize you can't punish unsafe shit or block correctly.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

PureYeti

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 05, 2012, 06:01:15 AM »
You didn't notice the end where he could've killed Wong by finishing the Rekka, backed off, and did fierce SRK to AA?

I saw it but ehhh not close enough for trolling  ;) Very funny though
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:03:56 AM by PureYeti »

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 05, 2012, 06:57:41 AM »
We just have to face facts. We can't generally encourage people to play online. It's not a viable thing for cross-country play. Across the state is not so bad though. I honestly feel like I have good work going on against people in my city (Though many of them choose not to).

I think it does frustrate some people. I was playing Laban and he doesn't seem incredibly thrilled to play again, even though we have a 4 bar connection. In any case, it needs to go back to the old school grassroots community building.

Specifically in my region. We only play in tournaments.

Kind of surprising to hear that, especially I figured where was a potentially decent-size scene out there (Cali?). I thought Laban wasn't that into XIII anyway, the way he talked about it on SRK compared to the older games. But for the grassroots community building, have you got any suggestions? Lately the best example I keep seeing is the CafeID/SoCal (BALA, Romance, Reynald, Mr. KOF, etc.) way which is a group of guys leveling up from each other, and pushing more tournament efforts themsevels (CafeID). Has worked well for the guys out in Chicago, and other places.

Speaking of CafeID and SoCal, after watching the SB 2012 videos, it's sort of looking like SoCal players are mostly looking for that one great combo opportunity, and Lacid and MAD were assertively picking their moments, like they were playing closer to 98. Anyone else seeing that, or am I reading it differently than most?

"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »
If you're playing online with someone in the same state chances are it's going to be playable. Otherwise it has the appearance of being playable but you quickly realize you can't punish unsafe shit or block correctly.

Question, is the great connections in state that you had on the same network line or is it farther apart? I haven't had much luck unless we are on the same network provider. I was wondering if anyone had better luck.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 05, 2012, 08:23:57 AM »

Kind of surprising to hear that, especially I figured where was a potentially decent-size scene out there (Cali?). I thought Laban wasn't that into XIII anyway, the way he talked about it on SRK compared to the older games. But for the grassroots community building, have you got any suggestions? Lately the best example I keep seeing is the CafeID/SoCal (BALA, Romance, Reynald, Mr. KOF, etc.) way which is a group of guys leveling up from each other, and pushing more tournament efforts themsevels (CafeID). Has worked well for the guys out in Chicago, and other places.

Speaking of CafeID and SoCal, after watching the SB 2012 videos, it's sort of looking like SoCal players are mostly looking for that one great combo opportunity, and Lacid and MAD were assertively picking their moments, like they were playing closer to 98. Anyone else seeing that, or am I reading it differently than most?

Laban hates 13 because it's not 98 dude. He just hates it and makes excuses. Kinda' like guys who will still play 02 and ignore 02UM.

On your 2nd point I was thinking the same thing. Seems like if you try to be risky you just pay for it in way worse ways than in the older KOF's. Seems like unless they have no HD or using a character without fancy tricks (like Takuma or Vice) with meter it's better to play footsies and try to bait and punish.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:26:44 AM by LouisCipher »

DJMirror949

• Strongest Tiger
  • Just move along, nothing to read here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 08, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
Honestly, I'll say this: Laban always say like stupid crap about KOF13 that is not like 98/02 etc. and I know someone (He's a big name player and I'll keep it quiet) has also said that KOF 13 is not a true KOF game but he still plays because it's fun and the game is still growing which it's why he's still playing. Honestly imo (Don't get me wrong or anything I don't hate Laban, I'm down to play 98/02 with him if I get the chance) He should just stop whiny about it which could be a turn off to other people who might wanna play the game especially in his area where there's a few people playing.

But on another note, he has done great tutorial videos about KOF 13 by going more in depth with the basic/alt guarding/rules of 2 & 3 etc which its really helpful alot for a low level player like myself

About America's style vs Cafeid's style, I believe the meta game is changing where HD combo is slowly become a less powerful option at a certain level of play. For example Shen, if he's loaded with full hd and 2 meters or whatever, as long that you're defending Down Bs and jump in attacks really well, there's not much shen can do since he's not hitting you for an hd and had to go for a overhead -> Drive Cancel -> whatever -> EX Super. Plus there's the part about baiting/spacing etc comes into play. I think a few examples to watch is Post EVO Reynald vs Luis Cha at the recent Super Arcade Tournament, Kaoru vs Mr KOF at EVO 2012 Day 0, Bala/Romance/Reynald vs Mad KOF or Bala vs Lacid at Season Beating.

other than that I'm done with my /rant! Sorry!

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
^ If the main rant is KOF XIII doesn't play remotely like a KOF game I can understand where they're coming from. To me it's like Street Fighter V suddenly playing like Marvel. The HD mode really turned the style of playing KOF upside down and older players  had to adapt or get schooled on this one. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but I might agree that it's different like RB2 is to Garou.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #457 on: October 08, 2012, 03:16:33 PM »
Hey fellas, everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions but lets keep complaints about other players to a minimum in this thread, please.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 08, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »
^ If the main rant is KOF XIII doesn't play remotely like a KOF game I can understand where they're coming from. To me it's like Street Fighter V suddenly playing like Marvel. The HD mode really turned the style of playing KOF upside down and older players  had to adapt or get schooled on this one. It doesn't mean it's a bad game, but I might agree that it's different like RB2 is to Garou.

I don't understand the hate on the HD mode since ppl at evo proved that you can still play old style and win. You wanna save your meter for a big HD combo with a chance to drop it or you wanna do simple bnbs ending to an EX or a Dm move? HD did not turn the gameplay upside down. It just gave more options and more playstyles. KOF has always been about evolving. They tried strikers, tag team, different type of gauges. Would you prefer XIII to be 98 UM all over again with different graphics and reduced roster?

EDIT:

XIII becomes free for PS3 plus members!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/08/playstation-plus-update-king-of-fighters-xiii-free-for-members/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 09:11:33 PM by Eripio69 »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 08, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
One would hope that 13 being free for PSPlus is a sign of things to come on PSN...

CoughNGBCHDUMgameswithfixednetcodecough.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »
With free KOF 13 maybe we'll get more close players to play with.  That'll be nice.

Eripio69

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 08, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »
With free KOF 13 maybe we'll get more close players to play with.  That'll be nice.

That was my exact thought.. Can't wait. Btw how does this thing work? Does Sony pay companies to get games free for psn plus users?

EDIT: On second thought the ppl getting the game now will be ultra casuals. I bet every FGfan has KOF XIII in his collection already.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:57:56 PM by Eripio69 »

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »

That was my exact thought.. Can't wait. Btw how does this thing work? Does Sony pay companies to get games free for psn plus users?

EDIT: On second thought the ppl getting the game now will be ultra casuals. I bet every FGfan has KOF XIII in his collection already.
either way it's a good move to get more people interested in the game now i just wanna see how many of the freebies actually stick with it

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 09, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »

From what I was told, Sony pays them say 50-100 grand up front for the game being on sale.  It gives SNK money, and exposure.  Will SNK make more money if they sold the game?  Possibly, but this is guaranteed money from doing this.  Not as much if they sold those copies themselves, but any cash influction is good if it doesn't even require work.

Also it helped Gearbox immensely.  They gave away Borderlands earlier and they made even more money off of it.  Not just from the bulk sales, but from getting people who never saw borderlands get it for free and then make them want Borderlands 2.  It was a great promotion and probably helped Gearbox get an extra stack of sales for Borderlands 2.

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 09, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »

I don't understand the hate on the HD mode since ppl at evo proved that you can still play old style and win. You wanna save your meter for a big HD combo with a chance to drop it or you wanna do simple bnbs ending to an EX or a Dm move? HD did not turn the gameplay upside down. It just gave more options and more playstyles. KOF has always been about evolving. They tried strikers, tag team, different type of gauges. Would you prefer XIII to be 98 UM all over again with different graphics and reduced roster?

EDIT:

XIII becomes free for PS3 plus members!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/08/playstation-plus-update-king-of-fighters-xiii-free-for-members/

I'm kinda on the same boat as you. From what I see the hate might be cause the online limitations makes HD mode the preferred chioce to get easy wins. However offline is a lot different once it more about reacting to your opponent and not just trying to attack first to get the advantage. I just wish I could play more offline to confirm what I think.