Author Topic: Ralf Jones (Arcade Version)  (Read 56075 times)

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
Re: Ralf Jones
« Reply #120 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:35 PM »
Avoid double posting please, just edit your posts -Kane317

:( Bah, you just lack imagination, lol. -ahem-

Rather glad SNKP gives comparable moves different properties. One of the things I like most about how they make characters.

Any Anywhere Juggle Chargeable DM that does 500 damage at Max Charge, and has invulnerability? That'd be even worse than Elisabeth! ;) At least Ralf has 2 lvl 1 DMs. Now, if we were talkin' about Clark...
no one is going to get hit by a charged Galactica Phantom... and i wasn't talking about the regular version... only EX Galactica Phantom...

anyway, one upside to having an auto-guard move is that it beats invincible moves... so in the instance where Ralf does EX Galactica Phantom vs. Shen does EX Shen Woo Punch... Ralf would just auto-guard Shen and punch him in the FACE!!! lol...

thats a real big risk but anyways im not to sure about that auto guard only cause they can block it i mean they could have at least let the GP break there guard but i can only really see it as i anti air at least thats my 2 cents

---

has anybody seen any videos of ralf using tricks after qcb C cause i was able to catch people off guard after that because he can move while the smoke is still there

---
coming from the clark thread

SAB-CA Ralf is a pure puncher in this game. He punches explosions out the ground, he punches people on the ground while mounting them, he has the most powerful punch in existance as a DM, he has a punch autoguard counter, and he can link his Punch special moves together in a way unlike anyone else... a SAB would totally go aganist everything else he has. The only thing that was unique about Ralf's SAB before (the fact it had autoguard) has now been given to Clark too!

If they were to give Ralf a command throw / command unblockable like Robert's in the future, I'd either like to see it be more punching (Like Kevin Ryan's gutpunch grapple), or a return of his old Northern Lights throw.

i didnt know he had auto guard with his SAB in the otha KOFs. if thats the case then i would love to see his northern lights come back to this day that has the smoothest animation i have ever seen in my life hands down.

I get what your sayin about him being a pure puncher and since that really is the case then i think his uppercut should come back. now im fine with the way he is now (even though i havnt heard anything about his console change) and i wouldnt really change anything on him at all....... maybe lol but seeing how he is a punching machine i would rather them give him his uppercut then his SAB. I have more fun comboing his uppercut and doing a follow up with Blitzkrieg Punch.

just as a side note i still find the both ralf kicks usable and yet i never seen that many people use it
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:06:10 PM by bigvador »

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2011, 04:58:44 AM »
Just a note: In this vid, in the match starting at 4:32, Ralf pulls out a nice HD combo:

のほほんと野試合 KOF XIII編 No.09-③

Amazing to think that, with Ralf having such a nice ability to link a normal after a special, that I've never seen anyone do it until now. LOTS of explosions. Fun to watch, I'd say.

Quote from: bigvador
i didnt know he had auto guard with his SAB in the otha KOFs. if thats the case then i would love to see his northern lights come back to this day that has the smoothest animation i have ever seen in my life hands down.

I get what your sayin about him being a pure puncher and since that really is the case then i think his uppercut should come back. now im fine with the way he is now (even though i havnt heard anything about his console change) and i wouldnt really change anything on him at all....... maybe lol but seeing how he is a punching machine i would rather them give him his uppercut then his SAB. I have more fun comboing his uppercut and doing a follow up with Blitzkrieg Punch.

just as a side note i still find the both ralf kicks usable and yet i never seen that many people use it

I miss his old callout to "Northern Lights-U-Za" or however he pronounced it, lol. KoF has such cool "normal throws", lol.

Actually, I'd love to see his Uppercut come back too. My little brother abused it to no end in XI (Such a STRONG move to combo into from lights, and the whole "SUPER PUNCH OF DOOM!" feel really fit what new Ralf has become).

His air CD is basically a wimpy Ralf Kick, haha. I liked the XI version, where the move could actually hit LOW or high too, which was very weird. But I found it a very unique change.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:06:04 AM by SAB-CA »

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2011, 06:37:31 AM »

Amazing to think that, with Ralf having such a nice ability to link a normal after a special, that I've never seen anyone do it until now. LOTS of explosions. Fun to watch, I'd say.

Quote from: bigvador

I miss his old callout to "Northern Lights-U-Za" or however he pronounced it, lol. KoF has such cool "normal throws", lol.

Actually, I'd love to see his Uppercut come back too. My little brother abused it to no end in XI (Such a STRONG move to combo into from lights, and the whole "SUPER PUNCH OF DOOM!" feel really fit what new Ralf has become).

His air CD is basically a wimpy Ralf Kick, haha. I liked the XI version, where the move could actually hit LOW or high too, which was very weird. But I found it a very unique change.

WOW i never thought of his air CD as his Ralf Kick i cant believe i never noticed that LOL

I can see why his uppercut isnt in the game I mean the way I see it he would have to much juggle potential no matter how they nerfed that move by itself with XIII being a heavy combo game I mean look at goros console buffs (HES A MONSTER).

As much as i want to watch Ralf in HD i cant do it im still testing what he can do in HD but I am very happy to see someone using different characters that ralf and clark was real good

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2011, 05:17:54 AM »
ya as much as i love that uppercut in XI, i don't wanna see it in XIII... his combos now look more than good enough... the only things that would make him cooler are...

- if his bombs made you fly straight up (mid-screen bomb juggles) instead blowing you away...
- if his Neomax start-up was him doing XI uppercut ...THEN as you were falling he charged up and hit you with the punches... :D

OH... cross your fingers to hope for s.C+D getting upper body invincibility in console version... Hwa got lower body, so why not Ralf!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:33:52 AM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2011, 08:22:20 AM »
ya as much as i love that uppercut in XI, i don't wanna see it in XIII... his combos now look more than good enough... the only things that would make him cooler are...

- if his bombs made you fly straight up (mid-screen bomb juggles) instead blowing you away...
- if his Neomax start-up was him doing XI uppercut ...THEN as you were falling he charged up and hit you with the punches... :D

OH... cross your fingers to hope for s.C+D getting upper body invincibility in console version... Hwa got lower body, so why not Ralf!!!

dont really see y he would need it i mean the distance on his CD is really long due to the fact that he takes a full step (and turn) plus i think it can b used as a anti air.

any reason y he would need it??

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »

dont really see y he would need it i mean the distance on his CD is really long due to the fact that he takes a full step (and turn) plus i think it can b used as a anti air.

any reason y he would need it??

I'm also fine without Ralf getting invincibility to make the move an anti-air. Think it makes Ralf more interesting to play as you have to come up with strategy to cover for it.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing the NM animation changed when he finishes a character with it. Similar to Andy/Mai's NMs (where this looks good), he's frozen in his 'cool-down' pose, but it looks pretty gimpy in his case as if time has stopped. It'd be more impressive if they kept him in that pose, but animate it so that he's breathing heavily when finishing the round with that move.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:46:31 AM by BioBooster »

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
@bigdavor: because he had invincibility frames his on s.C+D before...

@biobooster: that is such a cool idea... that would look awesome...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2011, 12:00:42 AM »
But he already has a Guardpoint move that noone uses all that much. Plus Galactica Phantom EX was shown to have it at some point. Hwa needed something to make his different from Joe's, but I think Ralf's is already quite different from Clark's! ;)

And I agree that most of the Neomax Victory poses need some animation. Shen's and Andy's also both look like they're frozen in a moment of time. I wouldn't even need for Ralf's to have him breath (though I'd prefer it!), I wish they'd just make him slowly fade back to normal coloring, as the steam leaves his body; rather than it all happening in an instant at the end.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:09:17 AM by SAB-CA »

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2011, 01:09:01 AM »
I'm extremely happy w Ralf in this game. It's great that he got his mount-vulcan back and they take it a step further by making his galactica similar to what it was in the past. With the solid list of specials that he has he's quite fortunate compared to a certain teammate and as SAB mentions, very different from him which is excellent.

I wish that all characters in the game had 2+ supers as a rule.
Although SAB will say it's completely fine (we're just talking pie in the sky anyway), it would be great if Kyo, Mai, Goro, Athena, Maxima, Clark and all the rest could have one other just to make it feel like all the other KOFs. I know that most folks with just one have a lot of utility stuck on their supers such as being able to release in the air, good invincibility, etc. etc. but that was another nail in the coffin for Goro popularity making him somewhat one-dimensional (good thing they cover with the console buffs). Claw Iori would benefit A LOT if he had one more with good utility. Dunno, I've been playing KOF since 94, so through the evolution of it all, these things are hard to let go of!

Now, what do you guys think about Ralf having  ;df ;a ?
He's the guy who classically has not had a cmd normal - allergic? or happy about it?

@t3h mAsTarOth...! sure you have an opinion on this  :)

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2011, 02:12:48 AM »
Yeah, I normally like the 1 DM per character, ONLY if they have some kind of EX move that "might as well be a DM anyway" (Like Chin's Counter, or Maxima's EX Vapor Cannon). Normally, everyone has a move that's almost that powerful (and leave an opponent open for combos), but you don't always SEE these things (Who ever see the EX move for Ralf that ends with a pop-up uppercut into the air? Think it's EX Gattling? Though I'd have to use it when I play him, lol.) I'm suprised Athena didn't get the Phoenix Arrow DM as well, but it's probably because it'd be redundant with have an EX version of the normal move anywho...

I guess that's the biggest problem with some characters. Alot of 2nd DMs were just "ex" normal moves in the past!

On Ralf's Jet Upper... I really don't know why he has it, haha. Coming from XII, though, I wanted Ralf to keep it (it's cool, nice AA sometimes, good confirm...), but I wanted clark to get a longer-range kicking command normal, that would let him combo into throws easier. I really like how this Ralf can use special moves in combos, to act like "explosive command normals" now, haha. Similiar to how Kensou's Rekka's might as well be chainable command normals, in a way.

I'd prefer it, now, if Ralf kept the upper, and Clark recieved a new one. I think it's pretty cool that Ralf recieved one, after all these years. He really is almost like a new character...

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2011, 03:10:45 AM »
Yeah, I normally like the 1 DM per character, ONLY if they have some kind of EX move that "might as well be a DM anyway" (Like Chin's Counter, or Maxima's EX Vapor Cannon). Normally, everyone has a move that's almost that powerful (and leave an opponent open for combos), but you don't always SEE these things (Who ever see the EX move for Ralf that ends with a pop-up uppercut into the air? Think it's EX Gattling? Though I'd have to use it when I play him, lol.) I'm suprised Athena didn't get the Phoenix Arrow DM as well, but it's probably because it'd be redundant with have an EX version of the normal move anywho...

I guess that's the biggest problem with some characters. Alot of 2nd DMs were just "ex" normal moves in the past!

On Ralf's Jet Upper... I really don't know why he has it, haha. Coming from XII, though, I wanted Ralf to keep it (it's cool, nice AA sometimes, good confirm...), but I wanted clark to get a longer-range kicking command normal, that would let him combo into throws easier. I really like how this Ralf can use special moves in combos, to act like "explosive command normals" now, haha. Similiar to how Kensou's Rekka's might as well be chainable command normals, in a way.

I'd prefer it, now, if Ralf kept the upper, and Clark recieved a new one. I think it's pretty cool that Ralf recieved one, after all these years. He really is almost like a new character...

Re: Clark, I'm not sure if he requires a long range attack that's a kick, unless they bring back his  ;fd ;b which was a good asset IMO. Although not directly related, I like the fact that his hop can be cancelled from normals to keep things tricky.

What Clark really seems to lack is other throws. Rather than bring back his frankensteiner and running throw, I wouldn't mind some fresh looking throws that could perform similar functions while befitting the style of Clark. So, Goro/Vice have a nice range of throws for different situations just like Shermie/Orochi Yashiro/... will stop here bc I'll end up naming every grappler up till XI. What's great about SNK is despite having such a huge cast of grapplers you never get the 'bleh just another shoto' syndrome as with the SFs.

So, unlike his brother in arms, it feels as if Clark got the short end of the development resources stick. It would've been nice to see him in XIII with running 3 or shining wizard. Or if it didn't look terribly painful, I wouldn't have minded them doing a head-swap on Ralf's mount vulcan and used it with other animations in the Clark sprite set to cobble something together so that he could have at least another throw. Anyways, here is where I stop as this is becoming a Clark post :P

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2011, 03:20:33 AM »
Im with you guys on that 1 i like having 1 DM but i would like ralf to have the galacita phantom i dont like his mounting DM that much i dont know why i would prefer the other one (i guess i rather launch someone in the air then hit them on the ground :)

i think the jet upper is kinda useless now but i dont mind that he haves it in XII u needed 2 combo into  ;dn ;df ;fd ;a (which was sad) now its just a anti air and a extra hit in a combo which is coo but thats just mo work.

some times i wish ralf had stayed the same as much as i like the ralf now i still wouldnt mind if he stayed the same. his old move could have done big damage.

mAsTarOth i think if he had upper body invisibility then it would make to easy for him when people would try to jump in on him

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2011, 03:34:15 AM »
Yeah, being forced to choose I would go for the galactica as well bc it's more of a signature move than the ground pound. I'm actually ok if Ralf loses his jet upper so as not to clash with Clark. It's not much of an anti-air and B>D has more range and works just fine as a confirm. I can also appreciate the 1 DM model to an extent.

Maybe we are in a decent spot with this in the series. It gives the current game room to grow. Occaisionally I felt things were getting out of hand with the need to add new moves on every iteration. Ralf's unblock was sort of in this category. And RYO - the bottle cut, etc. he had in XI ?? XII-XIII was a great opportunity to see to it that a character's moves don't overlap in functionality and adds balance as well as gameplay merit. Also IMO the NMs are the ideal refinement of the HSDMs in 2002 UM (I recently watched a vid of them all and frankly you cannot go back to those in so many ways after being blown away by NMs).

That said, is anyone here going to vote for taking out any DMs when they are already in the game ??? ;)

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2011, 03:54:21 AM »
Naw i dont think i would vote on the DMs i would just leave it how it is cause i know i will only use 1 DM anyway same goes for ralfs jet uppa its nice to have but i wont use it.

WAIT now that i think about it where the hell is Ralfs  ;dn ;up charge move thats a good anti air for him right there. If they did add that then would they let us use it like the way it was use in XI (combos of course)

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2011, 04:16:34 AM »
Naw i dont think i would vote on the DMs i would just leave it how it is cause i know i will only use 1 DM anyway same goes for ralfs jet uppa its nice to have but i wont use it.

WAIT now that i think about it where the hell is Ralfs  ;dn ;up charge move thats a good anti air for him right there. If they did add that then would they let us use it like the way it was use in XI (combos of course)

Heh heh, yeah think everyone's in the same boat - just wanted to throw that out there. You'll have to twist my arm pretty hard to get me to remove specials or greater.

Had the same thought a while back, was missing it myself. Would not have been too many extra frames of animation to add the rising bit to create the charge version. Wonder if they wanted to make him anti-air impoverished for gameplay reasons.

For KOF XIV I want Ralf's crazed whiskey-yalt victory pose back! Made him all crazed and wild d(^_^)b