Author Topic: Would KoF be more popular in the states if it was a 1v1 game?  (Read 16365 times)

C 3

• Rising Dragon
  • Cat stance ftw
    • View Profile
Re: Would KoF be more popular in the states if it was a 1v1 game?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 09:13:01 PM »
I think the KOF series predominantly being a team game is one of the many things that makes it a unique and great series.  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:29:38 PM by C 3 »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 03:32:33 AM »
I think the KOF series predominantly being a team game is one of the many things that makes it a unique and great series.  

This

If KOF were a 1 vs 1 game it will not had that much appeal IMO

Still, I don't get why some SNK fans bash SF IV with being noob friendly while treating to sale KOF XIII as a game that only more hardcore players could appreciate

I mean, top players of SF IV beat the crap out on me, and noobs play like noobs, so they are not hard to beat. The same could be applied with KOF, both series are games that are not hard to pick but that if you put lot of effort in learning it you will be rewarded. That being said SF IV is more noob friendly than KOF XIII, but still, the difference is not that much like some snobs try to sell it

At least I saw both games to be very noob friendly, if we really want to talk about games that are more hard to learn we should be talking about Guilty Gear, Blazblue, or Samurai Shodown

We should stop to think and mention it every single time that we try to justify the things that are not working with SNK, we shouldn't care to see  KOF became a popular from one day to another, we should accept that at the moment we're a niche community who should be growing slowly but at least growing, and be glad that at least there still people who you could play, and hope for a better future with the promise from SNKP to be a more active player with the community

Waifu Material

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 04:54:14 AM »
Am I the only one who missed your characters jumping out from the background (to stop you from being dizzy) or at least them standing there?

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 05:28:14 AM »
Am I the only one who missed your characters jumping out from the background (to stop you from being dizzy) or at least them standing there?

Hell no. I miss that too.

Maybe in KOF XIV.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 05:56:42 AM »

Hell no. I miss that too.

Maybe in KOF XIV.

To me, it was one of those what-made-KoF-KoF kinda things.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 06:07:54 AM »
the thing with sf4 is that even a mediocre player stands a chance against somebody way better, things like a comeback ultra that you get for free, easy to use high priority turtle (some charge characters not having to go on offense and just hold db and jump some times to avoid fb's, good luck if you dont have a fb). in kof a noob will get destroyed by a better player. this also goes fors arcs fighters like ggac and bbcs. even for mvc3 which i personally couldnt stand. sf4 is way noob friendlier. im not saying its like supersmashbrothers though, you do need some skills, character advantage if possible and luck to a degree.

and while not having your characters in the bg to help when stunned is a shame. nothing really important, but i did like seeing your team mates and how they react to the fight. even the ashamed beat down members get happy when you win. im not quite sure but didnt a beat down yamazaki who's bending, lying face in the ground gives a thumbs up without looking when you win iirc. awesome.     
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 08:11:43 AM »
^ Agreed.  I think those small things (so much personality) really sealed the deal for many fans.   Remember how in the OG '98 there was a smiley face system where some character would only help some characters lol.  Lol...ok now I'm getting OT.

venusandeve

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 04:31:16 PM »
kinda ot, but it rocked XD

didn't it affect whether or not you gained one stock upon being defeated?
KoF XIII... Needs more Angel, Vanessa and Blue Mary! ^^

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »
yeah they did fix that shit in 98. in 97 normal face kept the bars, happy added 1, yamazaki & iori usually took all your bars away, or didnt give you shit after it. chang or choi did help though to keep your bars. yamazaki as battery, choi 2nd & kim as last. having yamazaki or iori usually meant no top tier characters would receive bar. and guess who my favorite mains where in 97, yamazaki & iori. though they still did destroy, i had the freedom to use all the bars i wanted if i had these 2 in my team.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

krazykone123

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »
What does this have to do with KOF XIII?

Judge Fudge

• Rising Dragon
  • Judiciously Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
im not saying its like supersmashbrothers though, you do need some skills, character advantage if possible and luck to a degree.     

As someone who plays SSB (64), you sound like a complete idiot saying Smash takes no skill.  Watch one of Isai's SSB matches and tell yourself that he doesn't have skill and that you can do just as well as he can.

Sorry to come off sounding like a dick (and for getting off topic).  I try to avoid internet arguments, but this topic is one of my pet peeves.  It takes skill to play any game well, and Smash is no exception.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 08:23:05 PM »
the thing with sf4 is that even a mediocre player stands a chance against somebody way better, things like a comeback ultra that you get for free, easy to use high priority turtle (some charge characters not having to go on offense and just hold db and jump some times to avoid fb's, good luck if you dont have a fb). in kof a noob will get destroyed by a better player. this also goes fors arcs fighters like ggac and bbcs. even for mvc3 which i personally couldnt stand. sf4 is way noob friendlier. im not saying its like supersmashbrothers though, you do need some skills, character advantage if possible and luck to a degree.

and while not having your characters in the bg to help when stunned is a shame. nothing really important, but i did like seeing your team mates and how they react to the fight. even the ashamed beat down members get happy when you win. im not quite sure but didnt a beat down yamazaki who's bending, lying face in the ground gives a thumbs up without looking when you win iirc. awesome.     

Had you played SSF IV?

I'm a noob in that game, and all the ultras in the world don't help me to beat guys who are way better than me, at high level, Ultras became very situational, you don't connect them just because you want. Even though is true that they had too much priority, but well, unlike KOF, SF always had Supers with too much priority

The thing is, if you're whooping the ass of a noob in Street Fighter IV and suddenly he beats you with an ultra is because you're a noob too

Waifu Material

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 08:26:19 AM »
if it's not 3 vs. 3 it's not kof... *well unless you wanna count strikers or 01 ratio system* besides that... leave other games out of this... people that won't play XIII, won't play it... people that do, will... is it gonna suck in the US? most likely... am i still going to get my copy day 1? definitely...
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 10:35:04 AM »

Had you played SSF IV?

I'm a noob in that game, and all the ultras in the world don't help me to beat guys who are way better than me, at high level, Ultras became very situational, you don't connect them just because you want. Even though is true that they had too much priority, but well, unlike KOF, SF always had Supers with too much priority

The thing is, if you're whooping the ass of a noob in Street Fighter IV and suddenly he beats you with an ultra is because you're a noob too

Actually I blame stupid priority, leniency on inputs, most ultras having invinciiblity frames,

and the stupid crap that is Ryu's FADC LOL METSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
or Sagat's constant use of

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:40 AM »
Funny but let's stay on topic.