Author Topic: Maxima (Arcade Version)  (Read 39258 times)

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: Maxima
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2011, 03:06:41 AM »
I always suspected Maxima could link his EX Maxima Press out of a distanced strong attack... glad to see I was right!

That Youtube channel also has some pretty sweet combos for a wide variety of characters.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2011, 04:06:55 AM »
I always suspected Maxima could link his EX Maxima Press out of a distanced strong attack... glad to see I was right!

That Youtube channel also has some pretty sweet combos for a wide variety of characters.

It is a cool combo but it's 5 stocks though.  Props for style points.  EDIT: CMD.Duc also mentions it here.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:08:28 AM by Kane317 »

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2011, 11:09:01 AM »
Been a while since I've been back here and I've been practicing a bit on Maxima, but there's still something I don't understand. If anyone can clarify for me, that'd be great.

For Maxima Press, what is the visual que for canceling it into the qcb+P follow up? I can do it from midscreen after a decent amount of practice, but for some stages, I can't tell when I hit the wall. It's important, atleast for me, to do it early so I can quickly do qcf+p x2 to do the Double Vapor Cannon DM super cancel.

Also, I'm having trouble picking times when to grab. I try to command grab people after specials I know are not safe, but I'd like to use it a bit more offensively or in more situations. However, I'm not very experienced grappler so I'm not accustomed to situations where I should grab. What I've been practicing is rolling forward and doing a command grab after I come out of a roll. I'm trying to get the timing for an empty hop grab as well, but sometimes I jump in too short and whiff the grab. Spacing's a big problem. I know I can chain it into close st.D, close st.C, c.C, df+C, and close st.C (one hit) -> df+C, but I wondered if there's something I'm missing.

Also, I can super cancel off of EX vapor cannon and C vapor cannon, but is it not worth it to super cancel off of A vapor cannon?

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2011, 12:11:49 PM »
1 good way to grab: During the auto-run frames of a dash. (I'm not great at this myself, so bare with me, lol.) After tapping  ;fd ;fd , input the command for your grapple. This will make you do the minimal distance for a dash, and then instantly go into your command grab. This is best employed after blockstrings / expected frame traps, and when they expect a hop, or crouching normal from you.

Rolling into grab is very unsafe, generally. Since you can be thrown out your roll! It's best to only do this after Guard Cancel evasion of laggy moves, or after using plain roll to roll back in a corner VS a laggy move.

For me, I also liked throwing in the Strong Version of the grab, to punish whiffed DP's and poorly spaced pokes. Also, if you scare a person into trying to roll out of your on-wakeup strats (like people who don't have DPs, or know they wanna avoid your Guardpoints), chasing them with the strong Maxima Press is a great idea. (very old-school Clark-like, as well.)

I don't know of any reason why it'd be of no use to SC off A Vapor Cannon. You shouldn't have to super cancel off EX vapor anyway, just run in, and meet the wall-bounced opponent with the regular (or EX) DM. So far, I'd rather save 1 DM of meter for Weak Confirm -> EX Vapor -> Dash up ->  ;df;c into  ;c Vapor / A.Air Throw.

And generally speaking, any close weak attack will NORMALLY "combo" into an instant command throw in KoF. Sometimes, it's not a "real" combo, as it's apparently just grabbing them RIGHT after the hitstun of the light wears off. But yet, some will even combo from far weak attacks (Like Shermie's first hit of st.  ;b into hcf+ ;a throw, from full  ;b kick distance!). I haven't had enough time with XIII Maxima to test what he can do with this knowledge, but I'd guess he can land Maxima press off a close  ;a, and possibly the EX Press off a far  ;a....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:14:19 PM by SAB-CA »

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
As far as I know, Maxima's Standing B can't combo into anything. I've tried a lot the other day. I do have something I don't think was mentioned about Maxima in HD mode that I've been playing around with.

Artillery Maxima: Long Range HD

So, after toying with it for a bit in training mode, I've found that you can not only activate off of his far D and far C, both of which have guardpoint, but while in HD mode, you can special cancel ALL of his far D moves on hit or on block. So the usually uncancel-able far D can be cancelled into A vapor cannon. So a couple of things you could do while in HD mode with maxima are.

Far D, [HD activate], st.C (2hits) => df+C => [HDC] qcfx2 P or AC (For 5 meter) => hcbx2 AC

Or Far D or C => qcb + A / hcb+AC (Follow-up qcb + P) => [HDC] qcfx2 P or AC (For 5 meter) => hcbx2 AC

There's plenty you can do with Maxima from outside of people's range in HD mode.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 09:37:21 PM by Reiki.Kito »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2011, 07:02:09 AM »
First page updated with console changes.

---

-df.C has better recovery
*No recoil after air vapor canon
*Guard points on normal are now cancellable by specials
*Hit box on the follow up to EX Maxima Press improved. Can now hit from counter CD.
-No bounce back when EX Maxima Press is guarded. He’s now more vulnerable to punishes.

Yamamoto:
df.C can be used effectively as an early (okiwaza) anti-air as the recovery has improved. Also counter df.C and counter j.CD can be followed by EX Maxima Press for extra damage, possible to counter-confirm. Pressuring the opponent by earning precise follow-up damage is the ideal way to play Maxima.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »
So, Msxima's new cancellability from GP should make it so that he basically has an even better version of Raiden's "Ready... GO!" style cancelling, where he can instantly absorb blows, and then start the damage cycle again.

Absorbing mid and high attacks up close, and then instantly landing 1f Maxima Press, should be very fun.

Far D into EX Maxima press will probaly also be viable. It's one thing to have to worry about an HD combo off of (as Reiki described above), but it's a whole 'nother thing to worry about a stockable EX punish as well. EX Vapor cannon would also probably work, as shown in SNKP Changelog vid.

This should do a very solid job of opening up his gameplay. Guardpoints have always been a high risk/reward ability, and now the stakes have soared even higher. Ante Up!

xZEPPELIx

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
I wonder if Guard Point > D Maxima Press would be good way to deal with fireballs...
formerly known as TornAparT.  SoCal KoF group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/244569065571400

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »
I wonder if Guard Point > D Maxima Press would be good way to deal with fireballs...

I gotta try that sometime. That's a good idea.

BioBooster

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »
I really like the options you guys are talking about.

I would def like to
GP cxl > EX Press > Press follow > DC EX Vapor > more vapor etc.
or with less meter
GP cxl > EX Vapor > more vapor etc.
or with no meter
GP cxl > Press > Press follow

Gonna be so much fun

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »
I'm finding its tough to avoid strong offense with Maxima. He gets bulldogged way too easily. Can I st.A for AA aside from hops? M9 Missile is kind of slow and has to be done preemptively, so I'm at a loss when my opponent is point blank rushing me down.

As for this whole setup off of B/D Press w/o follow-up. Omitting the press plus allows for a cross-up splash?
Random: "Man, KOF XII is such an awesome game!"
Iori:

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »
I play very defensively with Maxima on 1st, he has good AA options like Downforward A and his air grab. If they're on top of you and got you in the corner you could do EX Air Grab for big damage.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2011, 08:57:10 AM »
You should use df+C to anti-air when you can. If you feel like they're hopping over you with a super jump, hit them with an M19 Blitz Cannon (DP+K) and grab'em. They have to do crap a lot more meaty to combo or they won't so you should definitely do that.

Also, remember ladies and gentlemen, you can guardpoint. St.C is your best friend and st.D is that chill buddy you like to hang out with on numerous occasions. Unless they're gonna cross you up, you can hit them with guardpoint and cancel with something else.

The Ed

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2011, 03:55:44 AM »
Am I insane or did his CD attack lose all guard point properties in console?  

Its not in any of the changelogs but as I've been working in the lab I seem to be able to get hit out of his CD at any frame.  Did I imagine his st.CD having GP in arcade, or did they just really narrow down the GP frames?

EDIT:  Ok, It def still has GP but it seems like its been nerfed a bit.  I could have sworn in arcade it would GP during active frames, now it seems like the GP is strictly during startup.  Again, sanity check, am I having 2K2 flashbacks here or what cause it definitely seems like the GP on his CD has been nerfed a smidge.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 04:04:26 AM by The Ed »

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2011, 04:21:44 AM »
No, his CD still has amazing guard points. I've done it successfully quite a few times.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.