Author Topic: Iori Yagami (Claws) (Arcade Version)  (Read 29804 times)

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
Re: Iori Yagami (Claws)
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2011, 03:01:34 PM »
Corner, 1 Drive Bar

2B 2A 6A xx 623C 214A 623A xx 214D 214A 623A

crLK crLP fLP xx dp+HP qcb+LP dp+LP xx qcb+HK qcb+LP dp+LP

Replace last dp+LP/623A with a DM

Only problem with this combo is that it doesn't hit crouching opponents.

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45:02 PM »

I don't think anyone actually has frame data and, judging from the fact that EX Iori, who isn't even released yet, has more pages in his thread than this guy, not very many people play him. So it's hard to get info that detailed unless we decided to go labbing (and I just might tomorrow).

I can say for certain that the D version is slower and can't be comboed into normally. I've only seen it comboed into when drive cancelled off a DP.

The whole "can't be punished by normals" thing seems kind of irrelevant since you can't combo into it and neither version, in my experience, is a good way to approach the opponent.

I have to admit that I haven't tried using the D version very much, but I'll have to do some experimenting with it.  Are you sure that you can't combo into it off of like cl.C, f+A,A, or even just cl.C, f+A?  I guess that doesn't really matter much, since that isn't a particularly good blockstring anyway, and that's what I was thinking about using it for.  I haven't really noticed that qcb+B is unsafe on block, but then I haven't used it against anybody who might actually punish it anyway (since the AI is too dumb, and its pretty hard to punish stuff online).
One thing I'm almost sure of is that the two versions don't do different chip damage (since they do the same damage on hit), and I also think they do the same amount of guard meter when they're blocked.  So unless qcb+D is somehow way safer on block, even if you can combo into it somehow, I don't really see the point in using one over the other.
Even if they are minus frames on hit (which I'm sure they are), it isn't very many, unlike dp+A/C up close.
Former Semi-Serious MK9 player, Mediocre T6 player, maybe one day I'll be a Mediocre KOF XIII player, too

MAASKYO

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2011, 06:17:25 PM »
 Clow iori i call him ' Mr. Hit Confirm'  ;D

Mr. X

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2011, 09:31:40 PM »
Corner, 1 Drive Bar

2B 2A 6A xx 623C 214A 623A xx 214D 214A 623A

crLK crLP fLP xx dp+HP qcb+LP dp+LP xx qcb+HK qcb+LP dp+LP

Replace last dp+LP/623A with a DM

Only problem with this combo is that it doesn't hit crouching opponents.
That's a big problem :[

alternative: 2B 2A 6A xx 214C 623Axx 214D 214A 623A

306, 1 drive bar, omit last DP for DM
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:50:10 PM by Mr. X »

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »

I feel like in most circumstances, you can actually hit the second 6A before 214C, unless you're hitting them with the 2B from really far away.  I don't know how much it actually boosts the damage though...probably only by 10 or 20.
Former Semi-Serious MK9 player, Mediocre T6 player, maybe one day I'll be a Mediocre KOF XIII player, too

Gimnbo

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
Makes it a hell of a lot easier to hit confirm though.

hiltzy85

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »
is there any sort of consensus as to what the best blockstring for Iori to use is (without spending meter)?  I tend to use cl.C, f+A,A, qcb+C because it seems to push them to the corner pretty well, and qcb+C seems to be reasonably safe due to it pushing Iori away a bit when it's blocked. 
cl.C, d/f+C, qcb+B would probably be decent as well, but I can't remember if qcb+B actually links from cl.C, d/f+C (and I don't really know how safe it is on block, either)...

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »

I feel like in most circumstances, you can actually hit the second 6A before 214C, unless you're hitting them with the 2B from really far away.  I don't know how much it actually boosts the damage though...probably only by 10 or 20.

Yes the 2nd f+A will net you a little more damage. The reason you would only do 1 forward+A is that if you do 2 midscreen then qcb+C, a level 1 super will miss. EX super will hit after 1 or 2 forward+A's.

is there any sort of consensus as to what the best blockstring for Iori to use is (without spending meter)?  I tend to use cl.C, f+A,A, qcb+C because it seems to push them to the corner pretty well, and qcb+C seems to be reasonably safe due to it pushing Iori away a bit when it's blocked. 
cl.C, d/f+C, qcb+B would probably be decent as well, but I can't remember if qcb+B actually links from cl.C, d/f+C (and I don't really know how safe it is on block, either)...

Both block strings are safe except to command throws and both combo. Using df+C gives more pushback than 1 f+A so after block you normals will be far normals. Either way most of the time you shouldn't be using special attacks on block strings much unless the block damage will kill or nearly kill them. It's best just to end at d.B,d.A or j.attack, s.C . This gives the opponent less time to react to what you're going to do next. This is the general rule of fast rushdown characters.

MUSOLINI

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN id: Musolini187 Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
indeed, unless said rushdown character has a safe move thats even or plus on block where he can keep on rushing and remains close after the block. so iori basically cant do it.
In the end, there can only be XIII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0XsEizwHA

Still mo sweet Chariots, keep on swingin'!

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »
Both block strings are safe except to command throws and both combo. Using df+C gives more pushback than 1 f+A so after block you normals will be far normals. Either way most of the time you shouldn't be using special attacks on block strings much unless the block damage will kill or nearly kill them. It's best just to end at d.B,d.A or j.attack, s.C . This gives the opponent less time to react to what you're going to do next. This is the general rule of fast rushdown characters.

Isaiah and I both agree you are one of the best Iori players and have great setups and amazing reactions. Having said that, I have a general question about your neutral game and confirms.

I noticed you most pressure with 2A, 2B and close C. How do you confirm and know when it will hit? Do you just have godlike reaction time or have a general feel for when the opponent will get hit. For example close C, f+A (x2) xx 214C. The special followup is unsafe, so when do you know to cancel into it? Do you just buffer 214.. then press C when you see the hit?

Also, your hop ins. How do you decide whether to hop in with A,B,C or D? Like do you think about the spacing, how much blockstun you want to impose or how good the opponent's anti-airs are?

If the opponent is good at defense, it seems you need to rely on either grab or crossup setups. Do you have specific setups you find most effective? For example I've seen you like to do hop A as a tick then go right into crossup b+B.

Finally, what are the most important combos/hit confirms an Iori player should know? Your go-to HD combo, what do you generally do when hit with a d+B/close C, etc.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'll appreciate any response.  :)
twitter @tasty_lumpia

Dark Chaotix

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Devil Of Dream Cancel
    • View Profile
    • Orochinagi
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 10:46:19 AM »
King of Fighters XIII - Trial Mode : Iori Yagami

For anyone that needs help with it.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2011, 04:41:58 AM »

Isaiah and I both agree you are one of the best Iori players and have great setups and amazing reactions. Having said that, I have a general question about your neutral game and confirms.

Hahah thanks!

I noticed you most pressure with 2A, 2B and close C. How do you confirm and know when it will hit? Do you just have godlike reaction time or have a general feel for when the opponent will get hit. For example close C, f+A (x2) xx 214C. The special followup is unsafe, so when do you know to cancel into it? Do you just buffer 214.. then press C when you see the hit?

I just run in with d.B, d.A, and press forward getting ready for forward+A. If the d.B hits, then I press A and continue. For dash s.C, I just run in and see if the opponent is doing something and may get hit then I'll do forward A if I feel it's gonna hit.

Also, your hop ins. How do you decide whether to hop in with A,B,C or D? Like do you think about the spacing, how much blockstun you want to impose or how good the opponent's anti-airs are?

j.A - Up close fast air attack (air to air or ground)

j.B - far distance air to air, use like a poke

j.C - Up close slow but low hitting air attack - good against people who like to d.A anti air

j.D - far distance / air to air

j.CD - against people who use d.C and for super long block stun

If the opponent is good at defense, it seems you need to rely on either grab or crossup setups. Do you have specific setups you find most effective? For example I've seen you like to do hop A as a tick then go right into crossup b+B.

Yeah if they're able to block most of the things I do I'll go for grab/crossup/frame trap.

The best setup is using close stand B first then either
   - stand C link
   - stand C frame trap (slightly late s.C)
   - command throw / regular throw
   - another jump attack or cross up
   - s.A, s.B then far s.D for poking

Cross ups are harder in console in that you can't hop over a standing opponent in console. So I use it a lot less now.

Finally, what are the most important combos/hit confirms an Iori player should know? Your go-to HD combo, what do you generally do when hit with a d+B/close C, etc.

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'll appreciate any response.  :)

Most important thing is to poke with s.B and s.D and j.B or D at it's max range to harass if you have trouble getting in. You have to really know his normals well. When you can get in, j.Cs and d.B, d.A pressure until you can hit confirm. Also manage your meter wisely meaning go for only combos using just super meter or just HD. Use both if it's for the kill. I tend to use only standard combos or HD combos. Standard combo would be s.C, f+A, qcb+C, super (or d.B, d.A as starter).

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
stuff

orz orz orz

TY, very helpful.

BTW we also agreed you're one of the best Ash/K' players, so I guess that makes you just really good at KOF?
twitter @tasty_lumpia

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »
stuff

orz orz orz

TY, very helpful.

BTW we also agreed you're one of the best Ash/K' players, so I guess that makes you just really good at KOF?

You just haven't seen socal players yet. I'm just above average here hahah

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 06:50:24 AM »
I actually checked out a lot of the archives of AI footage. Most of NorCal is new to KOF so we take SoCal players as a model for high level play.

I wanted a strong team for console and Claw Iori is looking very strong, his mixup and damage output is pretty scary. Just need to get those hit confirms down.
twitter @tasty_lumpia