Author Topic: I need help with a practice regimen  (Read 5617 times)

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
I need help with a practice regimen
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
I want to start hitting the dojo to help me with my fundamentals. I'm thinking about King on point, Mr. Karate as the battery with Claw Irori as anchor.

What is a good practice routine? Every time I use practice mode I feel like I'm not practicing the right things. I feel like I can do some basic cancels like slide kick into trap shot (only to have venom strike come out instead). What should my daily fundamental routine be?

I'm thinking about starting with ten of each kind of jump without missing (10 hops, hyper hops, jumps and hyper jumps). And not moving on to other things until I can get 10 of each in a row without a single missed input. What should I do after hop practice? Should I focus on BnB's? Or should I try 10 of each special move without a missed input. Intellectually I know the inputs for Kings specials but I find myself missing Venom Strike and doing Trap Shot (and vice-versa) instead a lot of the time. I can also never seem to time Tornado Kick when I want it to come out. So I get punished when I try to use it as an anti-air. How do I practice guard cancel blowback?

Any advice on this? What are some of your daily practice routines?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:32:54 PM by SuperVehicle001 »
PSN: MetalSlugIV

"The future is not determined by the throw of the dice; it is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
-Phong

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: I need help with a practice regimen
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »
IMO, King's df+D slide into Venom Strike or Tornado Kick is more easier and helpful than trap shot. Try that.

In training mode I like to set the training dummy to Crouch position and Random Guard to help with hit confirms. It's good for low confirms and mid confirms too. I also like to have the AI run around for I can practice against a moving target and practice my punishes when they do dumb things (like always).

If you want to practice hops, play against King in practice mode, and she will spam Venom Strikes over and over. Use them as hurdles and see how many you can hop over.

I would practice Guard Cancel Roll, using Blowback is good sometimes but it isn't really safe and can be safe-jumped and baited. Just let the AI try to attack you, block, then perform it. Now regarding which moves are best for Blowback and are best for Guard Cancel Roll is a different story. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 07:20:26 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:58:43 AM »
Just a few things to add to your training regimen, occasionally, between hops and bnb practice, throw in some time where you are practicing normals, especially for zoning. A few King players I've talked to in the past forgot that far st.D can be a great counter to jump/hop attacks, cause they were extremely combo-focused.

One type of training I like to try out sometimes is avoiding attacks for 60 to 90 sec, or if I record my opponent throwing out attacks that are hard to avoid. It helps me forget a lot of movements in the game that can save me in matches, like back-dashing, running forward to avoid most forward super jumps, or even GCAB/CD.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:24 PM »
I've been taking these tips to heart

http://shoryuken.com/2011/11/29/six-psychological-tips-to-help-you-level-up-your-game-faster-part-1/

Hops are coming a bit easier every day I practice. My daily warm up is 10 of each special in a row without a missed input. If I miss an input even if it's the 9th venom strike, I start over again.

I took the advice here on DC and used King as a dummy and set her to CPU. It can sure be challenging to read what kind of venom strike she is about to use! Is there some kind of telegraph to tip me off when she might use the slow  ;b version or the fast  ;d version?

I also used the record function for the first time a couple nights ago! This tool is amazing! I don't think any other fighting game has this! I recorded King sending out  ;d venom strike then ;b venom strike dash into j.CD. It was tough for me to counter lol. I will be using this tool a lot!

As for spacing and keep away I found CPU Benimaru a good training dummy. Lots of hop-in attacks and he tries to get you into the corner. Great way to practice anti air. I make it into my own mini game of how many times I can counter hit or evade without getting hit by his combos.

"The future is not determined by the throw of the dice; it is determined by the conscious decisions of you and me."
-Phong

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
Hey man, if you wanna practice Guard Cancel Rolls/Evade, set Billy as the CPU with with infinite super meters. He will spam his EX hcf+P which locks you in guard for a while.

Also I made a few videos on ways to use record mode in different ways:

KOFXIII Record mode tutorial<-ways to punish moves

KOFXIII Record Mode Tutorial part 2<- ways to evade certain moves

I hope its useful for you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:55:20 PM by Desmond Delaghetto »

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »
Well I attended my first local "casual" in KC. As I thought, I got blown up. I don't mind losing. I know I am going to lose a lot. I expect it. I was also against really good players. It is really nerve wracking asking to have next when KC's best KOF players are playing. The only way to get better is by playing better players! That is my motto!

Every loss is an opportunity to learn... but I really don't know what to practice now that I am home. I got a couple words of advice and not an in depth explanation. "You should guard cancel roll" or "try CD" after getting OCD'ed each match doesn't help me mentally match my actions at a particular point to the advice given after the two games have ended... No disrespect to the guys in the group though. They are not there to hold my hand.

I feel like all the time I spent in the lab left me like a jittery college that crammed before a final exam and choked then flunked. I spent a lot of time in practice mode. I don't know how many times I nailed cr.B, c.B, df.D, hcb.B, st.C but as soon as I was on deck to play, I couldn't land a single hit confirm.

I focused completely on King to shore up my fundamentals but I looked like I never played a fighting game in my life!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:53:01 AM by SuperVehicle001 »

-Phong

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 05:30:32 PM »
^ Well man, what do you expect out of your very first casual? To land all of the combos you've been practicing? To be even with the guys in the matches you are playing? Of course you are gonna get bopped hard. If the guys aren't giving you in-depth explanations on your playing, they don't really have to. Sometimes the best advice is the simplest.

Also, I read in your battle journal how you feel that the losses didn't teach you anything. Loses aren't supposed to teach you anything. What happens IN the battle itself teaches you everything. A loss is just the end result and outcome. If you really want to be successful, you gotta take from what happened in the experience.

I would suggest to keep playing, watch more match videos, practice more, and play with those guys often. You'll be getting better before you know it. :)

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I need help with a practice regimen
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:21 PM »
Thanks for the the encouragement. I just need to get over this initial slump and keep with it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

-Phong

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 08:03:33 PM »
Thing with playing actual people is different. When your opponent is a moving target, you're not always going to get the combo you want. When you have someone right next to you, you're nervous. It's normal to play worse when you play other people because you're out of your comfort zone.

You have to be comfortable like you are in training mode to land the combos. Only way to solve that is to keep playing more people. Get comfortable playing against people for real. That feeling will go away. The things that they're telling you sounds like you're being pressured a lot and you keep eating mixups (When you have meter). Try to think of what characters you fought and what did they do (What attack string) did they do specifically that you ate. Run that string through training mode and see if you can figure a way out.

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: I need help with a practice regimen
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »
^ Well man, what do you expect out of your very first casual? To land all of the combos you've been practicing? To be even with the guys in the matches you are playing? Of course you are gonna get bopped hard. If the guys aren't giving you in-depth explanations on your playing, they don't really have to. Sometimes the best advice is the simplest.

Also, I read in your battle journal how you feel that the losses didn't teach you anything. Loses aren't supposed to teach you anything. What happens IN the battle itself teaches you everything. A loss is just the end result and outcome. If you really want to be successful, you gotta take from what happened in the experience.

I would suggest to keep playing, watch more match videos, practice more, and play with those guys often. You'll be getting better before you know it. :)
I didn't expect to land all the combos or even win a round. I wanted to show up and show them that I did my best to put in the lab time.

My biggest disappointment was looking like I wasn't practicing. I also acknowledged in my other post the fact they are not there to hold my hand.

I was just hoping to make a better impression. I really respect these guys and I want to have fun and become part of the awesome FGC.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:08:54 PM by SuperVehicle001 »

-Phong

selfReg

• Scion of Flame
  • Plateau of Invincibility
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel UK
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 01:07:04 AM »
you should tell them about DC. Sounds like you have a decently sized crew.
KOFXIII: N-Robert, Ryo, R2 Takuma

SuperVehicle001

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: I need help with a practice regimen
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 01:31:32 AM »
They already know about it. They post here occasionally I think.

-Phong

chessmaster

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 02:20:01 AM »
So how long in general do you have to practice combos and such in this game? I know kof is more execution heavy than mk9 and injustice(my other fighters of choice) so I expect to obviously have to put more practice time into kof.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:37:03 AM »
So how long in general do you have to practice combos and such in this game? I know kof is more execution heavy than mk9 and injustice(my other fighters of choice) so I expect to obviously have to put more practice time into kof.

That really depends. If you have a local scene and you play with players who are better than yourself, you might have to practice harder and longer along with playing them in person. You can practice and land combos all day in training mode but you gotta try them out in real matches.

It really depends on how good you want to get and what you want to do.