Author Topic: Looking for a Mentor  (Read 3935 times)

The K1 Effect

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Looking for a Mentor
« on: March 28, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »
I dont think this is the right place for this, but I figured it would be seen here (I looked at the dates in the "training thread" and most are over a year old). Im a new player to the KoF series. Ive played a few before, but just for fun. Ive played competitive SF and Marvel for near 10 years now and im looking to get into KoF. I just bought the game two days ago, so im trying to learn everything about this game, its just a lot.

If anyone could mentor / coach me, I would be super appreciative. Ive got good fundementals and good execution, I just need to learn the specifics of this game like HD combos, meter usage and management, which characters fall into which archetypes, and how to apply and keep pressure with my chosen characters.

I want to use Leona no matter what. Aside from her, I really like Kula a lot. I also like Kensou, Ash, Joe, K', Saiki and Terry.

If it helps, I like playing "balanced" characters. (Morrigan in MvC3 / VSav, Juri, Ryu, Sagat and Viper in AE, etc). I like being able to fish for a hit relatively safely, then score a knockdown and setup pressure. That being said, I also like to zone (....Morrigan in MvC3......Juri and Sagat in AE......etc.)

So....yeah. thats me I guess.

Halp please?

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Mentor
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
I'd be happy to help you train, but it won't do much good if you live on the other side of the planet. What area of the world do you reside in?

The K1 Effect

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
SoCal, Burbank specifically, but im moving back to Austin (TX) in mid May.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:16 AM »
I'm pretty much "other side of the planet," but I'm willing to help you out from afar. I try to hold Dream Dojo sessions in the DC chat on Saturdays for ranbats, practice, info, etc.

Seems like you're picking good characters for the style of play you like, so that's a good start.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Malik

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Student of this game called life....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:54:23 AM »
I dont think this is the right place for this, but I figured it would be seen here (I looked at the dates in the "training thread" and most are over a year old). Im a new player to the KoF series. Ive played a few before, but just for fun. Ive played competitive SF and Marvel for near 10 years now and im looking to get into KoF. I just bought the game two days ago, so im trying to learn everything about this game, its just a lot.

If anyone could mentor / coach me, I would be super appreciative. Ive got good fundementals and good execution, I just need to learn the specifics of this game like HD combos, meter usage and management, which characters fall into which archetypes, and how to apply and keep pressure with my chosen characters.

I want to use Leona no matter what. Aside from her, I really like Kula a lot. I also like Kensou, Ash, Joe, K', Saiki and Terry.

If it helps, I like playing "balanced" characters. (Morrigan in MvC3 / VSav, Juri, Ryu, Sagat and Viper in AE, etc). I like being able to fish for a hit relatively safely, then score a knockdown and setup pressure. That being said, I also like to zone (....Morrigan in MvC3......Juri and Sagat in AE......etc.)

So....yeah. thats me I guess.

Halp please?

Where do you live & do you know anyone in your local scene?
"I used to be a christian then I met anime.. now i practice witchcraft and dark magics."
-Anony on Sankaku

The K1 Effect

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:22 AM »
^^ Already answered. Im living in SoCal right now, but only for another month and a half. I dont know anyone who plays KoF in person, but I know they play at TRB.

Could anyone help detail what Leona / Kula / Kensou should be doing in the neutral / how they keep pressure applied / good buttons to use / anything?

Would be super helpful <3

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »

Could anyone help detail what Leona / Kula / Kensou should be doing in the neutral / how they keep pressure applied / good buttons to use / anything?

Would be super helpful <3

For your characters, you should explore and look around in the KOFXIII character discussion section here:

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

and on the dreamcancel wiki here:

http://dreamcancel.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_King_of_Fighters_XIII
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

The K1 Effect

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 03:41:16 AM »
I checked the Leona video thread already but theres only 1 video.....and its of a guard crush. The thing I think im having the hardest time with is knowing what buttons to use, when, and why. I understand this is a fast paced game and all, but it just seems foreign to me right now because it seems like a shit ton of this game is confirming your normals / keeping pressure up by doing a 2 or 3 hit guard string then hopping to keep pressure applied......I really dont understand how Im supposed to be able to do all that while maintaining a charge. It just seems strange to me. Also, other than Leonas cr.B and s.B, I dont know what I should really be using. Her overhead is -7 on block when not cancelled into so its pretty unsafe.....when cancelled into its -4 so its still punishable. I always find myself trying to frametrap with cr.B > cl.st.D, but I dont know if thats legit or not. According to the frame data her cl.st.D is only -2 which (as far as I know) is safe on block. I just dont really know what I should be doing with her I guess. I feel even more lost with Kula and Kensou lol

Also, what the hell are CD (blowback) used for ? Is it just supposed to be another move in my repertoire, or does it have different properties than most normals? or is it used for something specific? As far as I can tell, all CD's are special cancellable so thats nice. ( Elisabeth's seems really useful as a poke since I can make myself safe on block with her command dash )

Yeah...

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 04:04:45 AM »
Don't just read one thread in the Leona section, read them all. Read all the posts. Keep reading and keep looking.

Also, what the hell are CD (blowback) used for ? Is it just supposed to be another move in my repertoire, or does it have different properties than most normals? or is it used for something specific? As far as I can tell, all CD's are special cancellable so thats nice. ( Elisabeth's seems really useful as a poke since I can make myself safe on block with her command dash )

Yeah...

That is answered in the FAQ thread:

"Q:"What are the CD attacks used for? They seem so useless!!"
A: The CD attacks are blowback attacks or knockdown attacks. When hit the opponent with these, it will cause a techable knockdown, but you can not attack (juggle) the
opponent after hitting the opponent with this, unless you get a counter hit from the CD attack. This is trustworthy for spacing yourself. The characters in this game have different uses for this and they can also whiff cancel them into different special moves."

Keep in mind that the CD attacks have slow startup but long active frames with good block stun. Good for pressure staggers, and hop pressure.

http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=2825.0
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:22:29 AM »
This all is that's better asked/answsered in her Console version thread, but to answer a little on her charging vs rushing down, when I've used her in rushing down, I've ran up and started doing cr.B's to get in Moon Slasher (d~u.P). Other specials, I'd typically use in defense or if I've got someone in the corner.

Before you go deeper into your characters, I'd go over the main wiki page first, to see what most/every character(s) can do if you haven't already.

And a small word of advice while you're still out in CA. If you can get to TRB, or anyplace that's got people near you, just go. Learning from people in offline play, especially guys as good as some of the TRB people is invaluable.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

The K1 Effect

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 11:15:35 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated.

You missed another great TRB tonight (Stream: http://www.twitch.TV/leveluplive and Brackets: http://challonge.com/trb_2013_1_7_kof) .  You should come to the UCI ranbat session this Saturday.   We can guide  you easier in person.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:20:03 AM by Kane317 »