Author Topic: Mai Shiranui (Arcade Version)  (Read 60396 times)

Para Para Pony

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Mai Shiranui
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:27 AM »
Typically, in previous Mai incarnations, her musasabi no mai (air) was pretty safe if you aimed at the lowest point on the feets (jab version was safest), is that the case still or not really anymore... I'm SOOO DYING to play! >.<

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »
My Mai notes for console release:

Ok, after continual abuse of her new target combo ( ;b , ;d ), I think it's safe to say it's not cancelable. It can be preformed at any distance, even without hitting, however, which is kinda interesting, it's a nice double-poke at times.

So it's also easy to make a combo out of [crouch ;b, crouch ;a, stand ;b, stand ;d]. Talk about a nice, lengthy hit confirm for an HD combo!

As mentioned, the command normal drop seems to come out and recover quicker.

Musasabi no Mai also seemed pretty safe to me, on block. Throws would probably still get her, but I tried pretty hard to punish her afterwards, and she was generally able to block before I could. I liked landing normal Musasabi into EX; very nice air afterwards, though I rarely took advantage of it :(

For me, her jumping ;d felt REALLY good; Hwa's jumping ;d felt like I had to do it really late, in order to land the hit after a hop, or after a full jump; Mai's felt like I could do it at varied times, and her jump arc + hit box would MAKE it hit, no matter my timing. Also, I think her Jump ;b is one of the most solid weak attack cross-ups I used; It seemed just as good as Elisabeth's, and that seems to be saying something, with the new hitbox/crossup modifications.

Oddly enough, Mai was one of the character I had an easy time pounding people with, even with minimal practice. I didn't play her a huge amount of the time (That fell to Maxima, Robert, Takuma, Leona, Vice, and HWA), but I enjoyed playing her when I did. I sucked at comboing with her (I didn't play her enough to get comfortable with her newer combos and such), but she just seemed really solid in a fundamental way.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Musasabi no Mai also seemed pretty safe to me, on block.
It can be help you someday, in training mode pick the same character for both training bot and player. Set the bot on guard "1 guard jump", do your move then hold jump, both character will jump, the higher the differences between the time of the two jumps the higher the difference in frame advantage.

Sorry if i'm not clear, english isn't my main language :/
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

PurpGuy

• Rising Dragon
  • XBox Live: PurpGuy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2011, 05:36:31 PM »
It took me a second to figure it but you were pretty clear.  That's a great trick!  I never would have thought of it.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
Sorry if i'm not clear, english isn't my main language :/

I really wish I still access to the game now, I'd test it out! :( That is a good way to test, however! Thanks for putting it out there!

Now to wait months before actually getting to try these things out again... :(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:44:35 PM by SAB-CA »

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »
It took me a second to figure it but you were pretty clear.  That's a great trick!  I never would have thought of it.
I should share it earlier :/
To let you test as much as you want.
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »

Ok, after continual abuse of her new target combo ( ;b , ;d ), I think it's safe to say it's not cancelable. It can be preformed at any distance, even without hitting, however, which is kinda interesting, it's a nice double-poke at times.
What do you mean is not cancelable? Can you combo after this new target combo, like Andy does, for example?

command normal drop? you mean her knee dive? (ukihane)

Musasabi no Mai also seemed pretty safe to me, on block. Throws would probably still get her, but I tried pretty hard to punish her afterwards, and she was generally able to block before I could. I liked landing normal Musasabi into EX; very nice air afterwards, though I rarely took advantage of it :(
Yes, this is something I saw on vids, her Musasabi looks pretty safe. Cool. Normally an EX Musasabi can be followed by something if you are fast enough, normal Musasabi can't, so yeah, you can take some advantge if you hit with EX Musasabi :)

Thank you SAB.CA! :)
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:15 AM »

So it's also easy to make a combo out of [crouch ;b, crouch ;a, stand ;b, stand ;d]. Talk about a nice, lengthy hit confirm for an HD combo!

Glad they made this. Mai is one of the hardest characters in the arcade version to enter into HD mode safely, having no hit-confirm and all.

command normal drop? you mean her knee dive? (ukihane)

Yeah probably.

Oddly enough, Mai was one of the character I had an easy time pounding people with, even with minimal practice. I didn't play her a huge amount of the time (That fell to Maxima, Robert, Takuma, Leona, Vice, and HWA), but I enjoyed playing her when I did. I sucked at comboing with her (I didn't play her enough to get comfortable with her newer combos and such), but she just seemed really solid in a fundamental way.

I think SNKP finally nailed what they were supposed to do with Mai, yeah? She was supposedly similar to her Fatal Fury version but when I tried to use her in the arcade, she felt a bit like her KoF version more with a more limited moveset (though still fun to play with).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 11:06:07 AM by Aenthin »

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
I hope they fixed a bit ryuenbu corner juggles properties and timing, because some corner combos were too hard to connect (like EXryuenbu>ryuenbu>hisatsu), and being Mai a low damage character, I don't see the need of this tight timing, and I think just a faster start up for hisatsu, or less recovery lag for ryuenbu could be the solution. And I had the impression hisatsu is faster now watching atlus moveset videos, but I can not assure it just with that vid.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
Glad to have helped :) A Safer Musasabi should really bring a lot to her game; if you miss, no big deal now, aganist many of the cast. If you hit, though, it's easy to go for the EX to gain additional float, and set up those combos!

Speaking of those combos, really wished I tried for more Ryuenbu combos. I don't even think I USED the EX version once, and that's a shame, as good as it seems to work.

Her Air throw also seemed suprisingly great. It was stuffing so much, even anti-air attempts at the right angle. I wonder if that means it had a range buff or something?

And yeah, by "Command normal drop", I mean Ukihane, aye.

And yup, by not cancelable, I mean that she can't combo anything after the Target Combo. After seeing that Hwa has 2 now, though, I wonder if she does as well? A cancelable stand ;a , ;dn ;c would be fantastic, for example.

I'll really enjoy making a proper, Leona-colored Mai in the console release, haha. (The one I had in NGBC was a bit off, due to palette restrictions...) They'll each cover some features I wish the other had, complimenting each other well, for my purposes...

X_Factor

• New Challenger
  • Psyche your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
Her Air throw also seemed suprisingly great. It was stuffing so much, even anti-air attempts at the right angle. I wonder if that means it had a range buff or something?

Just curious, was it stuffing a lot of moves doing the throw early or later after they were almost at the ground?  And did it feel like a decent air to air option to you as well?

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2011, 03:54:28 PM »
Just curious, was it stuffing a lot of moves doing the throw early or later after they were almost at the ground?  And did it feel like a decent air to air option to you as well?

I think it was one of the Gamespot vids where I saw it eat the early rising frames of Joe's tiger kick. For me, it shut down a lot of my Hwa Jai air/anti air game, grabbing VS attack frames that you'd THINK she'd be dead-to-rights aganist. It might have required an early/simultaneous jump from her in some situations, but she was one of the few to really limit my "get the hell outta this corner!" options rather well.

Her jump ;c for general purpose / air throw option select w/throw was very solid, to me. Jump/Hop ;d for jump in's felt much heavier than people like Hwa's or Terry's, closer to something like Maxima's. The hitbox persisted much better, so I wasn't getting missed hops and full-screen jumps with her nearly as much as I was with Hwa and Terry. Crossups have been tightened a bit VS the arcade version they say; Hwa's jump ;b looked similiar to Mai's, but his back leg seems to have no real hitbox, and if it DID hit on crossup, it worked more often off full jumps than hops. Mai's, however, seemed as abuseable as K' or Betty's were in the arcade version, when used as from a Hop, or full jump. It was nearly 100% reliable during hops, which made the other characters I played feel pretty poor, in comparision.

X_Factor

• New Challenger
  • Psyche your mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2011, 04:26:52 PM »
Crossups have been tightened a bit VS the arcade version they say; Hwa's jump ;b looked similiar to Mai's, but his back leg seems to have no real hitbox, and if it DID hit on crossup, it worked more often off full jumps than hops. Mai's, however, seemed as abuseable as K' or Betty's were in the arcade version, when used as from a Hop, or full jump. It was nearly 100% reliable during hops, which made the other characters I played feel pretty poor, in comparision.

Interesting.  So you feel the hop ;b is more abuse-able and a bigger, heftier hit box than it was in the arcade version?  Sorry to keep prying for information, but I didn't get to play the game more than a handful of times and want to learn more since I might get to play it again this weekend.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2011, 05:34:03 PM »
And yup, by not cancelable, I mean that she can't combo anything after the Target Combo.
Oh man, then that really sucks.. I thought the good news were that now she has a hit confirm for combos... Don't see the use of this new target combo :/

I'll really enjoy making a proper, Leona-colored Mai in the console release, haha. (The one I had in NGBC was a bit off, due to palette restrictions...) They'll each cover some features I wish the other had, complimenting each other well, for my purposes...
I envy you! I love color edit :D

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2011, 05:59:38 PM »
Interesting.  So you feel the hop ;b is more abuse-able and a bigger, heftier hit box than it was in the arcade version?  Sorry to keep prying for information, but I didn't get to play the game more than a handful of times and want to learn more since I might get to play it again this weekend.

Well, I mean it like this: The crossups properties have changed a bit since arcade (so says those who played it; I never had a chance to legitimately play it :( ), and we've heard that some don't work as well as they used to. I'm not sure how Mai console compareds to Mai Arcade in this specific reguard, but just judging it VS the other character I played, she seemed amongst the best with Hop/Jump B crossups.

No probs about the info-pry, I'm happy if I can help! Where might you play it again this weekend? I'd love to be able to play again before October, lol.

Oh man, then that really sucks.. I thought the good news were that now she has a hit confirm for combos... Don't see the use of this new target combo :/

Great for HD confirms, general safer blockstring off light attacks, good at pressuring for guard break, and gives a long string of attacks at which you could magically drop the input of 1 or 2 of them, and go for a mixup. And there might be some special situation I didn't test (such as jump cancelling, or super cancelling), so don't get too worried yet! Even as it is now, I find it a nice tool to her arsenal, that pulled me towards playing Mai on occassion.

I envy you! I love color edit :D

I look forward to seeing everyones Edits once console gets released! The amount of character refrences, team colors, and unique clothing pieces that we should be able to make, should be quite interesting. And if SNKP really runs with it, who knows what kind of customizations we could be making by, say, this time next year! It'd be great to see console tourneys with personalized characters.