Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII Home Port Wishlist  (Read 87195 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: The King of Fighters XIII Home Port Wishlist
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »
English Voice Dubs are unnecessary.  They wouldn't be HORRIBLE to have or anything, but that time could be spent doing other things.  English Dubs won't make learning moves or playing the game any easier.  They can do it later when they have time to spare.  As of now, focus on other parts of localization.

Like that all important netcode.  Like I've been saying, this is KOF's big chance to get back in the good graces of the FG scene, and actually make more fans than they have in the past.  People are turning on Capcom, Blazblue is niche, MK is starting to die down, and Tekken will be largely meh here until TTT2 gets localized as well.  But to GET that love back, they need to have good netcode, KOF doesn't have enough legs to get there in its absence.  KOF is lukewarm over here reception wise, or at least it was until KOFXII.  It needs that boost.

On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 23, 2011, 04:18:46 AM »
Wow... I didn't think that dubs would be that big of a deal. Personally, English dubs isn't something that this game needs. Especially if they're gonna be as bad as the ones from KOF XII. Those were really awful.

Here is my stance on dubs:

Half of the time, the original Japanese voices suck. (Look at Yuri for example, her Japanese voice in the KOF series is annoying).

Ok now which is your problem with yuri, she never did anything to you.

To be honest, Japanese voices are awesome, there seem to had more variety than english, and IMO the only fighting game with good english dub is SF IV, and still produces some butt hurt in comparision to the japanese voices

That being said, even though is not necesary, let's not act like if they included the option, they will waste time to focus on other points, the only negative is that it will spend more money, and will not bring any users to the game so will be a waste

Waifu Material

Mikel

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 25, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »
Wow... I didn't think that dubs would be that big of a deal. Personally, English dubs isn't something that this game needs. Especially if they're gonna be as bad as the ones from KOF XII. Those were really awful.

Half of the time, the original Japanese voices suck. (Look at Yuri for example, her Japanese voice in the KOF series is annoying).

Its mainly her Japanese voice, its too high pitched and annoying.

Anyway, since KOF XIII has been delayed. Will they add an English Dub? and/or add Spectator Mode? I listed English Dub because it is probable that the game is delayed because Sony most likely denied the game for a disc release the first time.

So, I guess the Announcer/Raiden's voice doesn't apply with the policy, could adding English voices for all characters solve that problem? Who knows...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:46:33 PM by Mikel »

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »

Anyway, since KOF XIII has been delayed. Will they add an English Dub? and/or add Spectator Mode? I listed English Dub because it is probable that the game is delayed because Sony most likely denied the game for a disc release the first time.

So, I guess the Announcer/Raiden's voice doesn't apply with the policy, could adding English voices for all characters solve that problem? Who knows...

I was actually surprised that the XII English voices were pretty decent - I always prefer original voices hands down no matter what the language is though. @marchefelix , trust me think it could've been much worse. I would have LMAO if they got all the English done Geese style by the Japanese actors.
The great thing I'm looking forward to is all of the additional voice acting in XIII console. Just watching some of the Atlus vids on YT, you'll notice chrs saying different things when they are knocked down which are not in arcade.

Spectator mode would be great with the amount of interest people have in it, but not at the cost of lag which I saw on NeoGaf that sites that as the reason for not having... but we shall see.

Heh, I think Yuri is meant to sound crazed like that - tis part of her charm I suppose. Something that did grate on me back in the day with older KOFs was
PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!!

I think I have just grown use to it though - definitely gives you incentive to blast down the spammer.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2011, 07:47:17 PM »

I was actually surprised that the XII English voices were pretty decent - I always prefer original voices hands down no matter what the language is though. @marchefelix , trust me think it could've been much worse. I would have LMAO if they got all the English done Geese style by the Japanese actors.
The great thing I'm looking forward to is all of the additional voice acting in XIII console. Just watching some of the Atlus vids on YT, you'll notice chrs saying different things when they are knocked down which are not in arcade.

Spectator mode would be great with the amount of interest people have in it, but not at the cost of lag which I saw on NeoGaf that sites that as the reason for not having... but we shall see.

Heh, I think Yuri is meant to sound crazed like that - tis part of her charm I suppose. Something that did grate on me back in the day with older KOFs was
PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO SWORD!! PSYCHO BALL!! PSYCHO BALL!!

I think I have just grown use to it though - definitely gives you incentive to blast down the spammer.

So true; her voice was very annoying back then, but not as annoying as my dumb brothers insisting that Yashiro's  ;dn ;db ;bk;k is more annoying than that. They also say that K''s  ;dn ;db ;bk;k is more annoying too (that I might believe).

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:45 PM »

What's poor Kaori Horie ever done to deserve that, eh? ;) I've actually enjoyed her voice since the beginning. Reminds me of Nicole's voice from Guardian heroes, too (which is impossible, since Kaori does little else but KoF, and Nicole's voice ended up being Pikachu from Pokemon, lol), and I think they both very well fit that "cute Japanese girl" character type.

I really enjoyed the early days of being introduced to all the japanese talk in video games. Still do now, really. It's awkward at first, but it ends up having the same charm as listening to exaggerated move declarations and yells in martial arts movies. It adds something to fighting games, that localized VA actually detracts from.

I kinda think it's good for gamers to get used to another culture's vocal taste and ways. And KoF is as "Japanese" as they come. I think learning EXACTLY what it is, is one of the best parts of playing it, really. These voices ARE the characters. These actors have been doing skits at presentations, and vocal drama CDs and songs as these characters since the mid 90s! I've heard these guys so long, it's almost like I've had actual conversations with them, lol. I barely even think "I wish the person would stop shooting Psycho Balls!", it's more like "Man, Athena's being annoying! Time to shut her up!" ;)

I guess it's partially different, because SF started off with very plain vocal synth voicework. So I have little problem hearing them as others (and it's cool hearing Ryu as Kyle Herbert, English Gohan!). But whenever I hear KoF characters dubbed in english, it's a constant "who'se that guy pretending to be Kyo?!?!" type deal, haha.

We'll always have the Maximum Impact series to satisfy our curiosity as to what English KoF would sound like, even if none of the 2D games ever get localized VA. I'd actually encourage people to help learn about the Japanese Seiyuus, look up translation FAQs by the late K Megura, and start recognizing a bit of japanese by ear! Unique "lost in translation" quirks, like how Yuri ends her sentences with "-chi!", Or Robert and Kensou's unique Kansai dialect use, are nice to appreciate, once you know what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 10:08:17 PM by SAB-CA »

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:29 PM »
Athena Seiyuu is really beautiful btw

Waifu Material

Xxenace

• Legendary Wolf
  • they call me jigga the ultimate ni...yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2011, 10:51:32 PM »

To be honest, Japanese voices are awesome, there seem to had more variety than english, and IMO the only fighting game with good english dub is SF IV, and still produces some butt hurt in comparision to the japanese voices

That being said, even though is not necesary, let's not act like if they included the option, they will waste time to focus on other points, the only negative is that it will spend more money, and will not bring any users to the game so will be a waste
i dunno if i really agree with you on saying that japanese VA's have more variety the english ones i watch a lot of anime so if heard pretty much any voice archetype somebody can do

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2011, 11:30:57 PM »
Athena Seiyuu is really beautiful btw

Pics or I don't believe you! :)

Ok, that's better.

i dunno if i really agree with you on saying that japanese VA's have more variety the english ones i watch a lot of anime so if heard pretty much any voice archetype somebody can do

Good thing about many KoF JP VA's is that you don't hear them many places. The archetype, sure, but the actor, not so much. Whomever would have been used by Atlus probably would have been VERY familiar (same cast of SFIV and BB, for instance). I did KINDA like that about MI; they were mostly unknowns! But that can be a blessing and curse, for obvious reasons...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 11:34:07 PM by SAB-CA »

BioBooster

• Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: BioBoosterUnit
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
So true; her voice was very annoying back then, but not as annoying as my dumb brothers insisting that Yashiro's  ;dn ;db ;bk;k is more annoying than that. They also say that K''s  ;dn ;db ;bk;k is more annoying too (that I might believe).

"SHADAAAAH!! SHADAAAH!!", gotta agree that that's sort of up there.

Like SAB mentions, the voice characterizations in all of the hit SNK titles are hell good I must say. Just about everyone stinks of personality unlike a good number of other fighters I can think of. What's nice about Japan is the sheer number of game/anime VAs that are available. SNK though seems to pay particular attention to the voices which seems obvious considering the very minimal amounts of VA overlap across the typically large cast of KOF characters.

As far as KOF goes, Iori I think is by far one of the best. Love the evil laugh Flame Iroi has for his NM.

One archetype that doesn't please me so much is the 'high-pitched madman' type voice. This would be Hwa in KOF, Freeman in GMOTW, and Mukuro in LB2. That sort of voice tends to work better with smaller scrappier characters like with Choi where I think it fits.

GuamoKun

• Rising Dragon
  • I MISSES YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:15 PM »
...It would be nice if Athena had her own level like in the console version of XI...complete with her own song is she's being used in a team.

Alucard DX

• Rising Dragon
  • Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2011, 12:57:15 AM »
I want EX Ralf 2002 UM version and EX Ryo KOF 98 UM version.