Author Topic: Should I spend time and money on KOF XIII?  (Read 3988 times)

QCBKoala

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Should I spend time and money on KOF XIII?
« on: July 16, 2013, 04:02:11 AM »
Hello, new to the site here.

I've never been a very good fighting game player. But I saw some Evo videos of this game this weekend and it really sparked my interest. I want to get into fighting games more now.
But I found out that this game is 2 years old, and there isn't any official news of a new release soon (other than the suppose-to-happen 3D version).
Not to mention that PS4 is just around the corner... (I have a PS3)

So I'm wondering if it is worth my time and money to invest in this game?

Some more questions...
Is this game about to be outdated?
Do I need to spend a lot of time learning how to play well?
I used to play fighting games on game pads but have tried arcade sticks before. I really prefer using a stick, but what's a good stick for this game on the PS3?

Or should I just wait for the next game? Whenever that is...

Thanks!

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Should I spend time and money on KOF XIII?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 05:09:56 AM »
It's just a video game. It's $15 to $30 bucks (plus extra bucks for DLC characters) depending on where you get it from.

Fighting games IMO don't get outdated like sports games. There are people that still play original SF2 or Super Turbo but the player bases just get smaller with the times.

I suggest you buy it and try it for yourself. Don't wait on the new game, play what is available now.

Like learning any new skill, it takes time and experience for you to be well at it. Learning instrument, how to play a sport, etc. it will take time and experience. Plus, you have loads of resources around you to help you (this site, youtube, other sites that have good KOF information).

Any arcade stick for PS3 is good, (I use the SF4 TE fight stick), it all depends on how comfortable you feel.

Get it.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

QCBKoala

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:03:30 PM »
Well I did get this game. Yayyyy~

But I don't know how much time I should spend on it.
Work is busy enough as it is.
And my friends don't play fighting games, so I would have to play this outside of my normal socializing hours.
I've asked friends' friends too, but it seems like KOF isn't very popular around here.
Also, arcade sticks are costly...
That's why I was wondering if I should jump on the wagon later, when PS4 and/or the next KOF is released.
I would really like to get better, but also do it efficiently (in terms of time and money) since I'm not as free as I used to be, and I'm also trying to save some $.

Thanks!

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:57 PM »
Where do you live? You should try to ask around regional match-making boards on this forum or others like shoryuken.com if there are players in your area. Also, there are some KOF and Fighting Game dedicated facebook groups. Try and find one for your region. Mind you, you'd have to be willing to travel around in order to get games in. I myself generally commute anywhere from an hour or two to get to sessions, to 2-4 hours for tournaments.

QCBKoala

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:46:02 AM »
I'm in Seattle/Tacoma. Yea I've found a FB group so I'll see if I can join their events more often. True thing about traveling though! Good thing I'm not too far from the city. I do want to find something more local but I haven't been able to yet.

AirLancer

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:39:55 AM »
Seattle? You're pretty fortunate then. From the Seattle players I met at Evo, I hear the Seattle KOF scene is actually pretty healthy.

Coliflowerz

• Strongest Tiger
  • #topshelfesteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 06:31:07 AM »
Don't worry about a stick, there's no distinct advantages between a pad and stick. It all depends on the user's comfort with the controller.

Stuff you learn in playing KOFXIII and fighting games in general apply in so many places. I understand it's hard to find a scene... but look hard, and if you can't find one, try starting one.
I do nothing but post KOFXIV tech so gimme a follow if you like that
https://twitter.com/coliflowerz
https://www.youtube.com/user/Coliflowerz

the7k

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
I would personally say there is a distinct advantage to being able to keep a finger on each action button at all times, which you can do on arcade stick but I can't figure out a comfortable way to do with a pad.

Then again, I find that pad is better for movement (as long as the d-pad itself is good, which I don't see much of these days).

Personally I only use pad for Marvel (which I don't even play anymore), everything else I use stick with. That said, I know many great players who use pad and still place very high in majors even in KOF, so don't let it hold you back. Just... experiment if you can.

QCBKoala

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
Well I got this game and after playing it for a month+, I'm loving it :)

Doing horrible, but loving it. The music, art, characters are quite appealing to me.
I got a PS2 stick + adapter for PS3, and it's working out fairly well so far.

Sometimes I'm a bit lost and frustrated (especially at the trials)...
Gotta keep practicing, I guess!