Author Topic: The Dream Cancel Wiki and YOU! - Dream Team steady mobbin'  (Read 80904 times)

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Cancel Wiki and YOU! - Can't stop the hustle
« Reply #300 on: August 20, 2011, 03:58:51 AM »
Ok ten more weeks to the console release guys--we have tons of work to do.  In the next few days I'm going to finish up the elive English translations of the technical reference that I started with Gunsmith then I'll dive back into the wiki stuff.

Should we add the tentative Evo console build changes to each character respectively? 

We need as much help as possible.

The game is different enough that we'll need to do a new wiki altogether. I'll work on a basic template this weekend and we can figure it out from there.

Do you really think that's necessary? The XI wiki approach of just including a "console changes" section seems like it would suffice. How much interest will there be in the arcade version post-console?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 20, 2011, 05:22:07 AM »
The console changes are quote significant and I feel the current wiki is too top-heavy. Since I'm going to rearrange the pages, I figured we may as well create a new one.

krazykone123

« Reply #302 on: August 20, 2011, 05:24:34 AM »
Can't we just update the current wiki? Actually is the current wiki even full? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a new one at all but I don't see the point in making one unless we're promised (minimal) 15+ contributors (competitive players suggested, Nor/SoCal players etc) this time around to make it more of a community joint project rather than just a couple dudes who play the game for kicks. I don't want to see people hype up an idea and not back it up this time.

IMO I highly recommend we stick to revising the current wiki pages, finalize them, then add and note console version information (buffs & nerfs). Frame Data and match-up information could also come next afterwards.

Toss this idea around for a bit fellas.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
Keep old wiki. Update old wiki. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
The console changes are quote significant and I feel the current wiki is too top-heavy. Since I'm going to rearrange the pages, I figured we may as well create a new one.

I agree that the changes are significant, but that's partly why I don't think we'd need two XIII wikis. Even on Dream Cancel, which has a lot of active arcade players, I think nearly everyone is planning to switch to the console version. Hardly any new players will be interested in the arcade version. At least, that's the hope, isn't it? That the console version becomes the definitive version?

Could you explain what you mean about the current wiki being too top-heavy?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2011, 02:47:50 PM »
Okay, I'm sold on the idea.

By top heavy, I mean that a reader has to scroll down 5 screens before reaching the moveset. One of the really good things about the SRK guide is that it starts out general and then moves to specifics.

krazykone123

« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
One of the really good things about the SRK guide is that it starts out general and then moves to specifics.

This isn't SRK but I digress, just put a command list near the top of every character page (a la mizuumi's AH3 wiki) to make it more accessible.

You guys got anymore suggestions?

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 03, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »
Ok we're finally done working on the "translations" of the technical reference and I created a new thread here about it.

That was a lot of work but we'll start on improving our wikis as well.  Lots of work ahead of us, only 8 weeks left.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 23, 2011, 09:09:49 PM »
From here on, let's not post any combos unless you can confirm them. The biggest problem with our wiki is combo accuracy.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #309 on: September 23, 2011, 09:47:36 PM »
From here on, let's not post any combos unless you can confirm them. The biggest problem with our wiki is combo accuracy.

Speaking of which, how consistent are we on annotations??? I mean for instance, for moves that have other options (i.e. - LB2 chain combos, Shermie's throws, etc), are we listing them using the same annotations?

Also, for hard vs soft knockdowns, how are we going about naming those??? I don't wanna confuse anybody with what I type just because one game has one way of saying things and another game mentions something else... I just wanna clear up as much as possible, so even while others are working on the major things that need work, the minor things or the more finer points can be tended to as well...

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 23, 2011, 10:46:28 PM »
It's true, we need to standardize our jargon/notation and of course use the correct terminology for the respective game.  We could say, "in the KOF world for the last 15+ years it has always been referred to 'straight (victory) or straighting' when you use one player to defeat all three of your opponents, but some people call it OCV in other fighting games" and just use "straighting" from then on. 

Ultimately, we could have a link on each wiki to convert all the qcf's to 236s etc. which although is time consuming, are probably the two most common way of writing movelists in the kof world etc.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Kyo Kusanagi
« Reply #311 on: September 23, 2011, 11:04:59 PM »
We need a lot of help in testing out all the combos on our entire wiki, if you could volunteer some ppl to help check for us Reiki from STA that'll be awesome.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 23, 2011, 11:27:42 PM »
I've started to go through the move lists in KOFXIII. I'm removing the parenthesis around motions and adding a shortened move list to the top of the entry. At some point, I need to resize the images.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Kyo Kusanagi
« Reply #313 on: September 24, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
Can try and ask a few people. I don't really play Kyo, but I do play K', Maxima, and Terry so I'll work on those.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 24, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
Can try and ask a few people. I don't really play Kyo, but I do play K', Maxima, and Terry so I'll work on those.

As you check and test characters, write which ones you're working on so people can check other characters, that'll way we'll cruise through the 31 characters quickly.