Author Topic: The Dream Cancel Wiki and YOU! - Dream Team steady mobbin'  (Read 80841 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: The Dream Cancel Wiki and YOU! - Can't stop the hustle
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2010, 05:35:15 AM »
King (XIII) character page updated. added more notes to special move section and revamped the combo section. will add HD combos soon. give criticisms as necessary, otherwise this is the format i'm going to run with in the future for updating other character pages.

Added a bit to the df.D slide description.  As for the combo section, I'll probably go and change all the 2C and 3Ds to d.C and df.D respectively for you later.  The number notation works well if you have a number pad in front of you and slightly more universal if you can't read English but I hate having to look at a number pad and it's also character side dependent (1p bias).

thanks kane, i'll keep it in mind for future updates. i didn't even think of the player side bias lol also, i'm thinking of adding a subsection to the Combo area with "Combo Starters" to kinda show the variation available when initiating combos. for example, i hate how the combos i listed generally start with (2C, 3D) since i usually use (d.B, d.A, df.D) or (s.D, df.D), but that's how the JP wiki lists them sooo... yeah. also, i didn't ask, but are commas ( , ) or greater than symbols ( > ) easier to look at? personally it doesn't matter to me.

I use commas coz it's easier to do on my phone lol.  Generally both are accepted.   Taking a step further we could use commas to differentiate links (,) vs cancels (>) and so forth. 

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2010, 08:08:15 AM »
King (XIII) character page updated. added more notes to special move section and revamped the combo section. will add HD combos soon. give criticisms as necessary, otherwise this is the format i'm going to run with in the future for updating other character pages.

Added a bit to the df.D slide description.  As for the combo section, I'll probably go and change all the 2C and 3Ds to d.C and df.D respectively for you later.  The number notation works well if you have a number pad in front of you and slightly more universal if you can't read English but I hate having to look at a number pad and it's also character side dependent (1p bias).

thanks kane, i'll keep it in mind for future updates. i didn't even think of the player side bias lol also, i'm thinking of adding a subsection to the Combo area with "Combo Starters" to kinda show the variation available when initiating combos. for example, i hate how the combos i listed generally start with (2C, 3D) since i usually use (d.B, d.A, df.D) or (s.D, df.D), but that's how the JP wiki lists them sooo... yeah. also, i didn't ask, but are commas ( , ) or greater than symbols ( > ) easier to look at? personally it doesn't matter to me.

I use commas coz it's easier to do on my phone lol.  Generally both are accepted.   Taking a step further we could use commas to differentiate links (,) vs cancels (>) and so forth. 

getting too complicated for me there, kane. i mean, if someone wants to take a stab at it, feel free lol. working on HD combos now. page update again tomorrow.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2010, 09:34:01 AM »

I think I started using that notation, because for some characters there are stuff that are cancelled and some parts that aren't. Once a combo starts getting really long, it's gonna be super hard to differentiate what parts are cancelled and which aren't if it's not specified

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2010, 11:46:02 AM »

I think I started using that notation, because for some characters there are stuff that are cancelled and some parts that aren't. Once a combo starts getting really long, it's gonna be super hard to differentiate what parts are cancelled and which aren't if it's not specified

i noted cancels by using (DC), (HDC), or (SC). it's easier to see, IMO, at least for me anyway.

krazykone123

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2010, 06:54:54 PM »
 (DC), (HDC), and (SC) are a lot more convinient, anyway here's the update for this week

KOF XIII wiki(s) that need attention
- Joe
- Kim
- Hwa Jai
- Robert
- Kensou

KOF XIII wiki(s) that need work
- Duo Lon
- Benimaru
- Maxima
- Yuri
- Benimaru
- Ralf
- Mai
- Leona
- Andy
- Daimon
- Kula

KOF XIII wiki(s) that are almost complete
- Ash
- King
- Ryo
- Clark
- Mature
- Shen
- Takuma
- Iori
- Vice
- Athena
- Terry

KOF XIII wiki(s) that are complete
- K'
- Kyo
- Elisabeth
- Raiden
- Chin

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2010, 12:01:34 PM »
Joe, Kim and Kensou have had their moves' cancel and damage info added.

At some point, you may want to switch from "Characters that need attention / work" to a percentage complete system.

i.e. Hwa Jai: 5%, Raiden: 100%

Shinra Shiranui

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
I started updating Mai's 2k2um section and i need a jpg for it.

Im about halfway done with it and as soon as im finished i'll get started on another non-exsistent page.
KOF XIII: EX Kyo,Mai,Saiki

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »
Would it be a good idea to include more video links to the wiki's? Like:

1.) character specific tutorials

2.) character specific combo videos

3.) match videos (featuring a top player using a certain character)

4.) examples of game mechanics (like the video linked explaining the jump system for the KOF2002UM wiki)?

Also, this can be used to link to a direct time in video: http://youtubetime.com/

Any thoughts??

"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
Those sound like great ideas to me. We should list them at the bottom of the wiki pages in the Notes section.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2010, 01:41:05 AM »
The 2K2UM wiki is shaping up nicely. As of now, the Billy Kane page is the gold star standard. It's pretty damned amazing. Very good work!

A few things to note regarding formatting and abbreviations in the 2K2UM section:
  • Instead of P and K we use A/C and B/D, respectively.
  • We don't use numeric notation.
  • The headings for all of the sections should be denoted ==Heading== so that they appear in the table of contents.
  • When setting up headings, please refer to the Billy Kane (2K2UM) page.

Also, please remember to click on the protect tab at the top of the page and set permissions to Administrators only in order to protect all of this work we've put in.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 01:44:14 AM by nilcam »

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2010, 07:56:52 AM »
Any guidelines like that for the XIII wiki?

I've used the P and K notation a couple times.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2010, 09:24:02 AM »
NBC Wiki for Ryo is done... I'm going to try to keep the format for those as close to each other as possible, so more than likely I'll do some more work tomorrow... Edited Geese's page a bit as well... Gotta get in touch with Dark Geese, as he has some info I'd like to put in the wiki with his permission though...

As far as the video links go, is there any way to have an actual video database, or is that gonna be hefty for the server???

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2010, 09:42:57 AM »

4.) examples of game mechanics (like the video linked explaining the jump system for the KOF2002UM wiki)?

Also, this can be used to link to a direct time in video: http://youtubetime.com/

Any thoughts??

I'm definitely down for this, seeing as some characters do better than others when fighting particular characters because of certain strats... Plus certain "anomalies" occur when certain characters fight also... I don't know of any character-specific combos though...

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2010, 10:24:32 AM »

Any thoughts??

I'm definitely down for this, seeing as some characters do better than others when fighting particular characters because of certain strats... Plus certain "anomalies" occur when certain characters fight also... I don't know of any character-specific combos though...

I'm all for any amount of visual aid to help people learn the characters.  It's really crazy how far we've come in the information age and there's no reason we shouldn't take advantage of it.  People should be learning 3x or 4x faster than we did back in the days when e-mail was consider super privileged high-tech.

• Instead of P and K we use A/C and B/D, respectively.

This is the only one I kinda disagree on, I think the easiest notation to read while being equally concise should be utilized.  I think P/K/A/B/C/D all have their places.  Let's say a combo needs a specific strength like Liz's dp+C into dp+A, we should obviously indicate which one.  However, if we're talking about Ex moves (perhaps this pertains more so to XIII) it gets real cluttered listing it as Ex qcb+AC (vs Ex qcb+P) especially when you're listing longer combos.  Furthermore, sometimes you want to indicate that a combo can use either button A or C so leaving it as P makes more sense instead of writing out A or C every time.  Lastly, I like to also list "DM" and "Ex" because I found when I'm glancing at longer combos, I want to know how many stocks this combo uses so scan for the "DM"s and "Ex"s but that's me, it might be overkill. 

In short, it doesn't really matter when you're listing out their movesets with A/C instead of P, but when you're listing long HD combos you want to be a concise as possible without omitting pertinent information.

What do you guys feel about this?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:54:57 AM by Kane317 »

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2010, 05:27:59 PM »
Oops! I omitted "in movelists" to that statement.

What I meant was
Instead of P and K we use A/C and B/D, respectively, in movelists.

In combo listings, I think keeping it as clean as possible is very important, especially on those long-ass HD combos in XIII.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:29:39 PM by nilcam »