Author Topic: Building a Team & Character Archetypes  (Read 3571 times)

GriNn

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Building a Team & Character Archetypes
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:43:29 AM »
I've been wanting to play KOF13 for awhile now, but never got around to it, so with the release of the steam edition next month I thought it would be a greater opportunity to get into the game. I've got the arcade version on my PC just so I can mess around with the characters a bit.

I've played lots of other fighting games, from Street Fighter to Marvel to Soul Calibur and more, but after researching this game, it's hard for me to tell what characters excel at what, even after watching matches and reading the wiki.

What are some characters you would suggest? I like playing footsie based characters with decent hit confirms (I played Vega in SF) but I also like a character that can rushdown, although I don't like it when that's their main function. I'm always a fan of good mixup characters too, it looks like some of the grapplers in this game fight be fun but I'm not sure which to start with.

Sorry if these threads aren't allowed or I'm posting the in wrong place, I wasn't sure.

Thanks!

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Building a Team & Character Archetypes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 04:34:35 AM »
To me, I feel that characters in KOF13 don't have strictly assigned roles for certain kinds of combat. There are characters who are probably stronger zoners and have good mobility but they also have good tools for close ranged combat and can rush down and runaway as well. To me, it's more about your personal style of gameplay and how you can fit it around a character in the game. That's why certain people may favor EX Kyo over Kyo and vice versa while they may lack in a certain tool the other may have or is strongest at.

Which characters have you played around with so far?
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

GriNn

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Building a Team & Character Archetypes
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:38:27 AM »
That's definitely a different way of looking at choosing characters.

Initially I was messing with duo Lon, kula, king, benimaru, and vice. So far kula is my favorite, I like the comboability with the poking and footsie threat. Wasn't a big fan of duo Lon, felt like he had low damage output but maybe that was me. Benimaru I like his combo's but I'm concerned about hit confirms and I don't like characters that absolutely rely on the corner game, but he still seems fun. Vice I don't even know, she felt so weird lol. Kind of one dimensional it seemed with her main game being throwing out her arm and then anti airing into the anywhere juggle. King seemes underwhelming as far as damage but I liked her.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:06:53 AM »
You're right, Dou Lon and King don't have the best damage compared to other characters but they surely can be annoying if played correctly. Their mobility and good long to mid-range offense makes them really good momentum type characters who can give the opponent headaches while they are trying to get in...then when you are at a close range with either of those two they have really good normals which can lead to annoying pressure and mix-ups (especially Dou Lon) which can be easily hit-confirmed into combos that have good damage.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
I'd suggest trying Kim, Because he has excellent footsies (but no long range game, which you may not like), good hit confirms, and can play a solid pressure game to boot. Vice is a bit weird, so I might not suggest starting with her, but she is one of my favorite characters to play. She is a bit one-dimensional until they start respecting that aspect of her game, then you can start applying more mixups using her 1 frame command grab and EX Splash.

You also might want to try one of the Iori's, I play Ex Iori, and he has a bag of trick for nearly any situation. Has rushdown, spacing, mixups... Though, both have a strong inclination to rushdown so you might not like them.

Also for Grapplers, I'd like to recommend Daimon because he has great area control normals, and good mixup with his grab. his hit-confirms are easy, but admittedly rather limited.