Author Topic: still not understanding the block string game....  (Read 4685 times)

B1gblack

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
still not understanding the block string game....
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »
ok the most difficult thing about KoF for me now is the black strings. i really cant(for the life of me) keep a solid one going and it cost me game after game after game, its like no matter what i do i cant bring out a solid block string to keep my opponent from doing anything and i cant fake them out neither they see everything coming...this i need hlep with please...anyone thank you if you reply

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: still not understanding the block string game....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
This'll sound like a scrub-answer, but bear with me. I'd ask who do you use first or your usual strategies, but as a general suggestion, I'd say keep using the weak attacks consistently, like standing or crouching A/B, and if you know certain combos with characters (example - Terry's cr.A, cr.A, cr.C, qcb.A), complete only what's needed to keep the pressure in that combo (cr.A, cr.A, cr.C) several times if possible.

If you are using the same tactics a lot, it will get predicable, especially for human opponents. Change it up and use like a vertical short hop (tapping up lightly for a low jump) with a heavy P or K.

If you're up against grapplers, be aware that sometimes that's playing right into their hands. I've eaten many Clark grabs by trying to lock him down in a corner, stupidly forgetting the armor.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

necronomiCRON

• Rising Dragon
  • SNKtheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Dude, you can't just use block strings and expect them to work. You have to know how to use them properly. Are they even safe block strings? If they give off no advantage then you're fucked unless you cancel into a special that leaves you at a safe distance.

If the opponent can attack you after your move is finished then you're not applying more pressure fast enough or the shit just isn't safe.

Just Don't look in the trunk...

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:17:54 PM »
What characters are you using when attempting a block string???

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 03:27:43 AM »
You just need to throw the move you think they least expect. They'll always have options out of it, else this wouldn't be a very fair game, eh? A healthy mix of overheads, lows, grabs, and guard baiting should get you places. Course, I'm still getting my scrubbish strings interrupted by low kicks, but eh, I'll get there.

B1gblack

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »
@solid shark that sounds like it should be able to work if i can figure out whats safe and whats not safe in this game....for one year i been playing and i still dont know whats safe lol.

@jinxhand my characters i use are andy,terry,king,athena(my new main),shen,kula, and working with flame iori and ex kyo

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 07:26:54 PM »
Do you ever use the 1-gaurd jump or record mode with All guard functions in training mode at all? Using those can give you a good sense of moves are safe or unsafe on block, or even if whiffed...
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

B1gblack

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »
@desmond can you please describe to me about the all guard and record mode and how that will help me....i have used the 1-hit guard jump a few times but shyed away from it a whole lot

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
Just watch this:

Plus with all guard you can see how far moves push you back on block if they are safe or not by time they recover.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."