Poll

If there's a KOF XIII side tournament at EVO 2011, would you?

Be there four sure!!!!
I would try to make an effort to attend.
If I'm there, I'll join.
I don't give a rats ass about a side tournament

Author Topic: KOF XIII at EVO 2011 Side tournament NEW POLL!  (Read 45688 times)

metaphysics

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIII at EVO 2011
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2010, 06:02:45 AM »
We're a small community, so we need to get used to the idea of traveling in order to find competition. Traveling for two hours just to get your ass kicked repeatedly in XIII should sound like an AWESOME IDEA to you!

Oh my god yes!!! That's what I do!! Not like 2 hrs more like one
" you fight well in the old style"

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2010, 06:46:58 AM »
Well it's one thing where you have to wait (and I think we've covered that a lot over here at AI.  30+min drives, first 7-10 weeks were an average of 6+ player wait, did I mention 30+min drives WITHOUT traffic?  If try to go when there's nobody, that's an hour an 10 min drive.  So you won't have much sympathy coz I KNOW you don't travel that far...hehe do you? =) ), but it's another thing where ppl are too lazy to learn something new.
Actually, my place is also quite far, about an hour or more with traffic, and I'll be lucky if I can get by without traffic. If I could though, I can get to the arcade no problem, but that's because it's much nearer my school than at home.

I know you meant something else but the way you wrote it, it really wasn't that good.

I stand corrected. :)

All things aside and back to the topic, sitting in the comfort if your home isn't going to grow the scene, harsh note or not :) If you were just a casual gamer then maybe, I'm inferring that if you're in this thread then you probably at least want to get competitive and remember....the truth only hurts for so long =).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:30:19 AM by Kane317 »

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2010, 04:31:05 PM »
We're a small community, so we need to get used to the idea of traveling in order to find competition. Traveling for two hours just to get your ass kicked repeatedly in XIII should sound like an AWESOME IDEA to you!

Oh my god yes!!! That's what I do!! Not like 2 hrs more like one

The closest machine to me is only 40 minutes away, but the competition is lacking. Or maybe I just consistently miss the good players. Last week, I saw someone had just started up a game and was selecting their characters. They had selected K' just as I pressed start and began selecting my characters. Almost immediately, the cursor stopped moving. His remaining characters and order were both decided automatically via time over. The round began, and K' was just standing there. I looked around the other side, and the person had apparently left. I really had no idea what to make of the event. Maybe some emergency came up just as he started the game, and it was just a coincidence that I joined the game just as he left. But I've NEVER heard of someone literally giving up before a match even begins. Seriously. That's just too weird.

Anyway, the best arcades are in Tokyo, which is two hours away. So that's where I like to go to get my ass kicked. :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:04:50 PM by Rex Dart »

Kusanagi-Style

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2010, 01:44:57 PM »
Well when I was in Japan I found that Hey! and seven islands arcade had really good comp for KOF, but I would get my ass handed to me at seven islands arcade by some of the top players and Japan taught me not to underestimate female players cause I got raped a few times by some female players. I was also staying in Konandai so I was like 10 minutes away from seven islands arcade and leveled up fast in KOF, but the awesome thing about Hey! was next door was Matsuya's and I would eat there like 3 times a day, their Gyudon is hella bomb!!  
KOF XIII: Iori/King/Yuri

Rakukojin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2010, 02:35:03 PM »
The great thing about Hey is that they have 4 machines set up for KOF XIII :D

sibarraz

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2010, 04:23:41 PM »
I don't know, the article in SNK - Capcom make lots of good points, I know that I can put everybody in the same bag, but like there said, people expect that lots of things happen magically without making any effort, and overall lots of fans seems very bitter to me, disrespecting other fighting games and communities, thinking that everybody in the world is against them and SNK, when the fact is, that I awalys believed that lots of people outside the community wants to see SNK sucess, I think that lots of them grow up loving at least one SNK games, all the haters are litlle child or stupid fanboys, so one should never look at them as the general consensus

I think that the SNK should be a little more open with the rest of the commnunity, look at their own errors, and willingly work with all those organization that are at charge of the tournaments, at least with the so cal regionals it seems that it was a very good start for XIII there in the states, if the game is released soon and the community moves up, I think that we could saw it on EVO

At least, the other 3 games that should be played probably are games which were released in the states and get some kind of exposure, with some luck I think that those 3 games could be BB, XIII and MK9

Waifu Material

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
So many hissy fits, damn.

One of the main, if not the main, culprits in this situation is SNK themselves. Years upon years of rehashing and whoring IPs over and over, what can you expect people to think of your games? Fans will take it up the ass for years but the rest won't.

You promise the people a rebirth but kick them in the balls instead with an unfinished product with shit online and at a full price, what can you expect to happen?

XIII is a solid game, fucking solid, but its a solid game that came after years of cutting corners. People won't just jump back on your ship, it will take time.

Throwing tantrums and pointing fingers won't do shit.

XIII means so much to SNK? I'll be the judge of that when the console port comes, you know, the only way the vast majority of us will get to play this game. SF4 and Blazblue took off because of playable online first and foremost imo. These games are a success because they succeeded overall, not just because they succeeded in being featured in tournaments. If SNK will not address this properly in XIII then they are just sending the game out to die, with no one but themselves to blame.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:10:39 PM by Diavle »

krazykone123

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:19 PM »
SNKP, so incompetent.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »
SNKP, so incompetent.

As far as the future, hope not.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Rukawa

• Rising Dragon
  • Kaede
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2010, 07:23:48 PM »
the big problem right now most people don't have access to the game, those who have a 2 hour drive to play shouldn't be complaining about this.

if we had the game right now it could be a huge draw, leveling up, preparing for evo, for the big event that would be an inspiration

I myself wouldn't want to go to vegas to compete in a game i have little to no experience playing it

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2010, 02:34:42 AM »
the big problem right now most people don't have access to the game, those who have a 2 hour drive to play shouldn't be complaining about this.

if we had the game right now it could be a huge draw, leveling up, preparing for evo, for the big event that would be an inspiration

I myself wouldn't want to go to vegas to compete in a game i have little to no experience playing it

Like I said earlier, if the game is coming out on console in Q1 2011, there should be serveral months before EVO.

Beelzemon

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2010, 03:56:46 AM »
Main event or not as long as it's somewhere in evo I'd definitely try my hardest to make it.

In regards to insulting other communities, that's just stupid and childish.  Games like Melty Blood may have gotten their start from hardcore MB players but it's the players from other games that help get these new games some attention.  You don't get people from other fighting games to join you by insulting their game of choice.

krazykone123

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2010, 05:43:01 AM »
SNKP, so incompetent.

As far as the future, hope not.

True that, but you got to admit you can't say their (SNKP) overall lack of effort these past years hasn't taken a toll on their fans, it's really hard to recruit people to play a game no one else genuinely plays (competitively) except for a chosen few, their bonafide scarcity of gumption is what's holding me, you, and everyone else back

SNKP really needs to step it up, I like the fact that they are slowly becoming more aware of their fanbase in America (SoCal Regionals and the AI crew can attest to that) but they still have a long long way to go, they need to fix the netcode for all of their xbla games (namely everything that's not NGBC), they need to open a forum on their website or at establish some good connections in the U.S. and actually listen to what we say, etc

krazykone123

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2010, 05:52:16 AM »
they need to take a more proactive approach to fixing and patching their games too, they shouldn't just throw out a 43KB patch then say "The game is fixed" with a shit eating grin, they need to act like their product is worth something, god forbid they blow all their money on XIII and it ends up with a lukewarm piss netcode, I'd probably skip the console release entirely if that happens, real talk.

Dark Geese

« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »
My honest opinion is that a lot of ppl like KOF XIII, but they don't take it seriously enough to honestly try to learn it.  Either that, or they spend too much time dabbing in other fighting games to get good at one (if you chase two chickens you'l end up with none).  Now I understand people have lives, and things get in the way, I'm not talking about those people.  I'm talking about people that spend more than half the time playing other Fighting Games yet expect to be good at KOF XIII, it's just not going to happen.  If wanted to get good at SSIV, I'll probably have to drop XIII for awhile at least, play SSIV exclusively, join tournaments etc before I get good (Mr KOF seems to be an exception lol).

It really saddens me when I see a lot of talented players playing other games, and I KNOW they'd be so good at XIII if they had just stuck to XIII ( I won't name names ).

I'll extend this a little further, IF you have access to XIII, and you're playing the older KOFs instead.  Shame on you.  Knowing what XIII means to SNKP in terms of the future of the company--you're essentially slowly killing the company.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't play 2K2UM when you get home, or the odd time here and there, I'm talking about the people that basically PREFER 2k2UM over XIII, it's not helping at all.

/rant off

Okay guys back from Mexico and thought I'd pop in here and give my two cents on the issue. I agree with what Kane317 says here 500%. The problem I have seen in my 5 years of holding tournaments in the USA is the same stuff over and over,  Dabblers.

How many times in the past have I said this is the main problem I see? Also yes I know, they fatten the money pot, but not by much if you only have like a 8 man tournament right? If that is the case what is the difference? Why even bother? At Absolute Battle hell the level of play in 2002 UM was so low to me I decided I'd rather sit out and let MightyMar play (plus I was softbanned lol but whatever if I REALLY wanted to enter don't you think I could've entered MY OWN TOURNAMENT I RAN??), so I agree you put 13 in EVO as a big/side game everyone is gonna watch from other countries and simply be disgusted by the level of play overall.

But..with that being said I will mention now that under the works period just to show other people how skilled Mexico can be, I am planning on taking a Mexican National Team of sorts to EVO to take all names at EVO everyone, be it Japanese or whatever take names and ask questions later be it if 13 is there OR NOT, but for sure if 13 is there I want the Mexican National Team to show how strong they are.

So then with this Mexican National Team +myself playing KOF, the AI players playing, and whatever Japanese players/other foreigners are playing, where does that leave the majority of US players?

In the cold, the results will come down to just that- Mexico vs. AI vs. other foreigners, why is this? Dabbling and super low level of play being a major part of it.

Now to address what Giby said about me not feeling it is worth my time, I stand by that, make it worth my time to go, I have done this for 5 years in the past and now don't feel it is necessary to do all this flying to places in the US for a 5 man tournament that is going to have 50x lower level of play than the locals in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Does that make ANY sense whatsoever?  My time is much better spent in Juarez, Mexico or other places playing competent opponents that are going to make me stronger, force me to have to give it all I got, not for me to travel to places and continue to not only be supremely dissappointed each time due to the skill level of play , but not even make my plane ticket back because of entry, and feel like I am just wasting my time because it's me + a bunch of dabblers in the game. I have much better options in other words!!!

At least in Juarez not only am I going to be making my money back, but I am playing very strong worthy opponents, that's my big thing...

Rant over,

-DG
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:31:06 AM by Dark Geese »