Author Topic: King (Arcade Version)  (Read 33064 times)

Saitsuofleaves

• Legendary Wolf
  • Even in the Darkness, Light Shines Through
    • View Profile
Re: King
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Is it me, or does King have the easiest HD combos in the game?
On 5/26, something that defined a generation shall make its rightful return.  #Toonamisbackbitches.  Prepare yourselves.  Bang.

bigvador

• Scion of Flame
  • YOU CANT HELP ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 10:35:12 PM »
yea she really only uses 2 moves

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2011, 04:42:07 AM »
My current team is Kensou/Maxima/King. I was wondering..is King best suited for later game? (2nd or 3rd character)

Bala runs King on point and sees success so I was curious as to what the community thought.
Random: "Man, KOF XII is such an awesome game!"
Iori:

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Imo King/Kensou/Maxima suits the best to your team.

Because if king is better with meter i think the other character are even better than her with meter. Especially because meter gives solutions to your opponent against your zoning, like break rolls, ex moves or SDM.

For Kensou it's roughly the same but meter is far more powerful for him than king, it allows him to use a 1 frame throw to punish is opponent, better mixup, better zoning, far more damaging combos. Thus Kensou is really good in second position.

At least Maxima is an amazing threat with loads of meter. Using Kensou as a semi battery character will make him like a huge wall which don't allows anything to pass. Moreover because of the nature of Maxima at each guard opening you must do the more damages possible, and to have a lot of meter helps a lot to do that. Btw his ex moves are really really good to go forward or to pressure your opponent.
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm liking King on point alot! When I think of an anchor, I think of a character that can REALLY utilize all that bar and translate any hit into good damage. King's HD combos are distance specific and she has very few ways to open up opponents. For these reasons I'm probably going to play her in 1st position.

The only problem is I'm unsure of Maxima as an anchor: he's a big target and fairly slow (hard to keep up with other good anchors Shen/Iori/Kyo). I've always thought he was better in 2nd position.

New ideas:

King/Maxima/Iori or Kim
Iori:

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
Is it me, or does King have the easiest HD combos in the game?

meterless too, really good for my metagame, king is truly a solid battery character imho. lacks only of damaging combo because her trap shot scaling always toooooo much (and now, i truly understand in the change log why the benimaru collider less hit means for a combo damage output).

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
All signs point to King being best on point. That's probably where I'll be keeping her.  :)

Is anyone else having trouble hitting HCB B, st.B after her BnBs midscreen? st.C is cake, but B is pretty tough.
Iori:

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »
Is anyone else having trouble hitting HCB B, st.B after her BnBs midscreen? st.C is cake, but B is pretty tough.

Just hold forward and hit B. Presto!

Also, ever since arcade, I still stand by her not being on point. I feel like she loses a lot of options without meter and her damage output without meter is also pretty subpar. She doesn't particularly build meter well, either.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:46:15 AM by FataCon »

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2011, 10:50:36 AM »
All signs point to King being best on point. That's probably where I'll be keeping her.  :)

keep in mind is very fast and have a great range so take ur time without hurry is pretty easy

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »

Also, ever since arcade, I still stand by her not being on point. I feel like she loses a lot of options without meter and her damage output without meter is also, pretty subpar. She doesn't particularly build meter well, either.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

On my team at least (Kensou/Maxima), both my other characters are better with bar than King is. By process of elimination she is point. Besides that, she can actually hold her own there. People can't use bar to escape Venom Strike pressure, so spamming it is harder to fight against. Damage isn't really an issue if she's on point either, seeing as most good point characters have subpar damage too. Their strategy doesn't revolve around damage or meter usage. She does her job well...which is to slowly chip away at your opponents life bar, poke efficiently, control space with well-placed ground/air venom strikes, and use DRIVE meter to do combos. At most you should use one bar to combo and half a DC for punishes, maybe two if it will kill. IMO she's right at home on point.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:52:46 AM by Raynex »
Iori:

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
On my team at least (Kensou/Maxima), both my other characters are better with bar than King is. By process of elimination she is point. Besides that, she can actually hold her own there. People can't use bar to escape Venom Strike pressure, so spamming it is harder to fight against. Damage isn't really an issue if she's on point either, seeing as most good point characters have subpar damage too. Their strategy doesn't revolve around damage or meter usage. She does her job well...which is to slowly chip away at your opponents life bar, poke efficiently, control space with well-placed ground/air venom strikes, and use DRIVE meter to do combos. At most you should use one bar to combo and half a DC for punishes, maybe two if it will kill. IMO she's right at home on point.

Though they are better than King with meter, Kensou is by far a better battery character. He has a much safer zoning game. Keep in mind that projectile zoning in general isn't as strong in KOF as it is in other fighting games, thanks to overall system mechanics. Because of this, King has a hard time zoning against wary opponents and she is very vulnerable unless actively baiting particular situations in her favor. Coupled with the fact that her normals are relatively slow startup and low priority, she has a hard time mounting an offense at times without exploiting meter. Against strong, viable point characters like K' or Kyo, who have heavy rushdown games, without a proper reversal, King can get easily locked down for the duration of the match if she doesn't have meter to get out safely.

I think people are falling into this pitfall believing that teams require a battery character on point that doesn't necessarily use meter. A point character can be self-sustaining. However, if it works for you, then it works for you. Just stay mindful of the inherent risks involved with playing King with little to no meter. It's pretty scary when you're backed into a corner as King and you have no answer to pressure.

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2011, 12:51:04 PM »

Also, ever since arcade, I still stand by her not being on point. I feel like she loses a lot of options without meter and her damage output without meter is also, pretty subpar. She doesn't particularly build meter well, either.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

considering ur team i would suggest to put her on point too.and agree with most of the things u said even if some of what answer said has sense too, in this case she would fit better on point imo. she is good in spacing and pokes and she could turn into a rushdown at the end of the first match or depending on the situation and how the match goes. cons is probably u ll not have lots of meter for ur 2nd character but bala teaches : who fuckin cares she can be a beast in any position !

sociald

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2011, 12:55:42 PM »
instant errata corrige .... dunno cause i wrote answer instead of fatacon ... maybe im reading too much things at the same time !

Mazinkaiser

• Strongest Tiger
  • Debiru Mashin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
n00b alert, i'm missing what on point refer for -.-,? hint please.

Coupled with the fact that her normals are relatively slow startup and low priority, she has a hard time mounting an offense at times without exploiting meter. Against strong, viable point characters like K' or Kyo, who have heavy rushdown games, without a proper reversal, King can get easily locked down for the duration of the match if she doesn't have meter to get out safely.

totally disagree with that... ok now... almost xD i mean, i still didn't face a real good Kyo/K' player but i sense her normal really good to handle a rushdown situation, s.C is an awesome poke, beat/trade with hop and have nice hitbox and active frame, c.C work well to to catch floaty jump, if they get close the s.B is fast and hit low and can hitconfirm into slide, and if you miss too and the opponent guard you can cancel the slide for be safe... about that too the console change is gorgeous, on mid range i use the slide as a poke (hitconfirm hcb.b if catch off guard).

agree with the "hard living" zoning fireball wars, not good as athena/kensou but imho is a right deal, you can by the way manage the screen very well with all the option (and sometimes them are too much... i usually input the TK motion on hyperhopping D and pullout TK strikes for error -.-, the recoil is nice in that case). in desperation moment of course she can sacrifice one meter for trap shot ex, work well as a "reversal", isn't really fast like ryo as a example but still usable.

these with one very easy HD combo withour meter (and about that low damage of course, but is still more than half guage lol) seems to me really good to use as a battery, preserve the meter for super the middle one.

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2011, 08:19:26 PM »

Though they are better than King with meter, Kensou is by far a better battery character. He has a much safer zoning game. Keep in mind that projectile zoning in general isn't as strong in KOF as it is in other fighting games, thanks to overall system mechanics. Because of this, King has a hard time zoning against wary opponents and she is very vulnerable unless actively baiting particular situations in her favor. Coupled with the fact that her normals are relatively slow startup and low priority, she has a hard time mounting an offense at times without exploiting meter. Against strong, viable point characters like K' or Kyo, who have heavy rushdown games, without a proper reversal, King can get easily locked down for the duration of the match if she doesn't have meter to get out safely.

I think people are falling into this pitfall believing that teams require a battery character on point that doesn't necessarily use meter. A point character can be self-sustaining. However, if it works for you, then it works for you. Just stay mindful of the inherent risks involved with playing King with little to no meter. It's pretty scary when you're backed into a corner as King and you have no answer to pressure.

i agree with most of what you posted. However for my team, using Kensou as a battery serves no real purpose. Why would I try to give King meter on second, when Kensou is so much better when he has it himself? Granted, Kensou is better than King in both positions...but hear me out. King's metered combos are usually spacing specific, with corner positioning being a prerequisite for the better ones. Kensou has more ways to land a hit, and more damage per combo if he does - regardless of where he is. In fact most of his combos carry to the corner, which can lead to even more potential hits.

Her normals being "slow" on start-up is an exaggeration. st.C is pretty damn fast, and active for quite a while. Most AAs have to be pre-emptive anyways (aside from anti-hop st.As), so that's nothing new. If anything she has an easier time than most AAing with st.C / st. D/ hop j.B / hop j.CD because of her amazing ground/air fireballs. Once you condition your opponent to look for a specific fireball, you can steal bits of their life by cutting off their movement routes with your AAs. I think you're underestimating how good her neutral game is.

Mounting an offense using meter isn't what King is about. She's not equipped to bumrush in ala K' / Kyo / Kula and fish for hit confirms into big damage for little to no bar. Her offense is, by nature, not as good as most characters (with or without meter)...so imo this point is negligible.

Regarding her defense. I got nothin' LOL. I agree, she's can't do shit about people rushing her down unless she has meter.

I'm completely aware that some characters can be self-sustaining on point. But MY strategy is to save the bar for Kensou who will translate any st.BC target combo confirm into half life. But again I agree with you on this, you don't HAVE to save meter with your point character.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:21:44 PM by Raynex »
Iori: