Author Topic: King (Arcade Version)  (Read 32788 times)

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
Re: King
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 02:56:35 AM »
2 Useful King Videos provided by Madman's Cafe (via MMCstation on Youtube):

--Kombo King: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JMOw-sSzLk
--EX Venom Strike Showcase: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYNMPIyhR3A

And in the realm of what NOT to do with King:

--EpicFailz with Venom Shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c6dW2FQDz8

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
I seen lot of people losing with King in a very poor way just because they try to use zoning and they end on the corner, and KO. I think King players should start to find King's offensive key
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 08:24:30 PM by Shiranui_ninja »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »
That vid isn't an indication of anything, he plain sucks with her.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:20 PM »
Looking this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M93SCIl_wCU

(Orochinagi has been trying out the game on Paris this weekend) I think try to play King as zoning character in KOF XIII is a fatal error. Looks like zoning is not a good strategy in KOF XIII (and I'm glad for it, I hate spaming fireballs gameplays) and I seen lot of people losing with King in a very poor way just because they try to use zoning and they end on the corner, and KO. I think King players should start to find King's offensive key

the problem is, it's somewhat difficult to start pressure with king. because she doesn't have her old command throw thing (similar to robert's) or a ground overhead, her only real mixup comes from jump-ins (empty jump lows/j.D/deep j.D crossup) or tick throws. she doesn't have any untechable knockdowns besides her throw, and that still doesn't leave her in a good position. coupled with the fact that to do decent damage she needs meter and usually the corner, you'll find that most of the time you're hoping the opponent will leave themselves open so you can punish with either lights into the slide or a s.D into whatever. i do agree though that a king player should learn to be more offensively oriented since she doesn't really have good defensive options. you just have to realize that she has a hard time getting in on opponents to start offense, and even if she does, how much damage you do might be situational.

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 07:43:48 PM »
True, but I think it's a good vid to see zoning is not a good tool in KOF XIII and King needs to played in a more offensive way

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 08:13:45 PM »
I think you're missing the point of King.

Her lack of offensive options definitely hurt her, but her ability to zone is basically what she has to make up for it. If she's low on bars, or (heaven forbid) she's your first character, her best option is to try to keep the opponent away, play it safe, and hope they make some mistakes. Once she's built up some bar, King can afford to play more aggressively, since she then has Surprise Rose or EX Tornado Kick to get her out of trouble.

Yes, zoning is a challenge in KOF, and especially in XIII. But that's what King is good at. It's also what makes her fun, and unique among the XIII roster.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
If she's low on bars, or (heaven forbid) she's your first character, her best option is to try to keep the opponent away, play it safe, and hope they make some mistakes.

i agree with this. when you're spacing out the opponent, a venom strike can sometimes be a good test to see if an opponent will commit to something that's punishable (jump/roll/EX move/etc). the problem with players i've seen in videos, and even myself occasionally is reliance on it by throwing venom strikes all over the place. pretty soon it becomes apparent that you'll overestimate the recovery and get punished by a beastly HD combo. if by chance you're still alive, you're probably in the corner where king definitely doesn't want to be defensively.

zoning definitely isn't a tool you want to overuse, but like rex dart said, it's definitely a tool worth using given the right situation. in some matchups (like vs clark/goro), it can be advantageous to play in midfield and keep them out to force mistakes. it's all about finding a good balance and when to appropriately switch your tactics. then again, that can be said of all characters.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 12:18:31 AM »
I'll add to that that zoning defensively all the time makes it too predictable.  I think one can still zone their opponent and go offensively when the opportunity presents itself (See Ash, Mai, Orochi Shermie in the older ones, who I used a lot, and so forth).

All in all, that was their first day in Paris (which if I recall when I went was a 2 hour train ride from the UK), cut them some slack; we all sucked our first day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:20:16 AM by Kane317 »

TYRANNICAL

• Strongest Tiger
  • Beast of Prey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 06:55:12 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ELWLDV_1U
Better video of zoning King.  Shiranui_Ninja: Never use such a poor video as that to reach the conclusion of anything.  Horrible gameplay.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEoq9cDhKBc
Pretty nice King
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:01:15 PM by TYRANNICAL »
KOF XIII:
-K'/EX Kyo/EX Iori
-K'/Andy/Kyo
-Benimaru(Duo Lon)/Robert/Takuma(Iori)

Might controls everything.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 08:12:37 PM »
Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEoq9cDhKBc
Pretty nice King

i guess to be constructive, i'll say there were a few things i didn't like about that king.

during the round with mai, i found the midscreen HD activation fairly unnecessary. king, in general, doesn't do well dealing midscreen damage combos. if anything, she should have omitted the slide after the s.D following the HD activation and done a trapshot > tornado kick B > tornado kick D at the minimum. it's basically free damage and it gets the opponent closer to the corner. luckily, due to the duration of HD, she was able to catch mai in the corner again. however, she should have ended it with surprise rose after the tornado kick. at first, i thought it might have been a good idea to keep mai close and continue pressure, but what did king do? she jumped back and did EX venom strike =/ . gauging the flow of the match, she was never really put on the defensive in the first place. i think she would have been fine with the surprise rose corner ender. king doesn't need to zone when she's on the offensive, it's more for spacing/defense.

the round with leona i don't really have any complaints about. she pressured king decently, and i didn't see king make any standout mistakes since she didn't have meter to be spending. king just got outplayed.

in the shen round, king was sitting on so much meter and she was up by such a large life lead. i'm not quite sure if EX surprise rose would have won the match at that point but it would have helped immensely. at first i just thought it was negligence, but after watching it again, i saw a c.D which leads me to believe they just messed up the input. then, with all that meter, she could have EX trapshot/tornado kick one of those jump-ins or even guard AB/CD. instead, she ended up getting pressured and eating an HD combo to lose by timeout. when king has the meter, by all means, use it when you're on offense for that damage or save it for defense to get you out of situations king has a hard time getting out of. don't just sit on it (unless, of course, king is being a battery for you).

i'm not saying that this was a bad king player, just a decent one. my opinion is that maybe that player had recently picked her up. it's good to analyze how the little mistakes will cost you the match (more specifically in king's case this time). there's not much king footage, or even well-played king, so i always like to see what i can pickup or what mistakes to avoid when using her.

Shiranui_ninja

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
Shiranui_Ninja: Never use such a poor video as that to reach the conclusion of anything.  Horrible gameplay.

Video removed.

krazykone123

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Most of the template is up now, anyone gonna finish what they started or should I wipe the slate clean?

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
Wipe the slate clean? I don't see any reason to do that.

I mean, there's no problem with some pages being collaborative efforts, is there?

krazykone123

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 08:02:47 PM »
I mean, there's no problem with some pages being collaborative efforts, is there?

None at all, I just didn't want to step on any toes so I asked the dude who started if he wanted to finish.

Xenosagafan87

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 10:44:45 PM »
King has boobs that jiggle? o_0

anyway dissapointed that their is no Illusion dance. oh well still going to use her