Author Topic: Sprite Ripping  (Read 3553 times)

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
Sprite Ripping
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:09:06 PM »
Since I had lots of free time, I started playing Real Bout 2 again. After figuring which dipswitch to open so I could play Alfred and playing him a few times, I figured maybe I could give a shot on making some animated gifs of him. I've seen only a handful of pictures of him after all.

Here are the ones I made so far:

For some reason, they look smooth on my Firefox but not on Chrome or Internet Explorer. I wonder why.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:59:32 PM by Aenthin »

krazykone123

Re: Sprite Ripping
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:49:23 PM »
Cool, how long did it take you to make them?

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
I was making them at around 1 PM and finished around 6 or 7 in the evening. 'course, I had some breaks in between.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »
Awesome work. I like seeing em choppy since that way I can look at individual frames better hehe.

How exactly do you make them? Didn't know it took this long to rip sprites.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »
Actually, I just remembered the time when I started and ended, but not how much time I worked for each sprite. I had lots of free time in between as I was juggling between this, surfing, and cooking dinner. xD

As for how I did it, well I used WinKawaks and the emulator already has a built in program of sorts called Shot Factory. Basically, it allows you to take pictures of the game frame by frame. You can also remove unnecessary sprite layers with it such as the background. I set my background to pink so it would be easier to remove the color.

After taking pictures of all the frames (which the hardest part btw, since I sometimes have to replay the animation...thank goodness there's a replay button), I edit it with GIMP, removing all unneccessary sprites, renaming the layers (which also determines the frame speed if you specify it), and resizing the canvas, then finally saving it as an animated gif. All in all, it's an easy process if a bit tedious.

---

Apart from making Alfred sprites, my goal is to actually rip the sprites off K''s Chain Driver SDM. That's gonna take me a really long while. xD
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 07:02:51 PM by Aenthin »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, always wanted to know how it was done. Thought it was more automated than that but seems you gotta get down and dirty with it.

Really appreciate the effort.

Aenthin

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah! Ash Crimson
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
New one:

It feels rather choppy to me. x: