Author Topic: Question about button configuration in tourneys  (Read 2026 times)

obiiwan

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Question about button configuration in tourneys
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
I've been thinking about this lately, since I switched from joypad to a fightstick.
I know there was an era when binds were not allowed on tournaments in some countries, not even on joypads.
Comentators during EVO 2014 KOFXIII were mentioning that many KOFXIII players complained about how easy it is to miss an EX input. Yet, I see most people only use the default four buttons, not assigning binds despite having the risk to miss EX commands.
So, my question is, is assigning binds like LP+HP and LK+HK considered playing the easy way and is it even allowed on tourneys? Do people really think about that as playing the easy way?

Coffeeling

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Question about button configuration in tourneys
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »
It's allowed and yes, people do it. They're slowly wising up to 13's strict EX input demands and want to be sure they get out the move they wanted.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
Re: Question about button configuration in tourneys
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:25:58 PM »
Giby made a training mode video (that I can't find at the moment) showing how KOFXIII misses dual inputs from time to time. He also told me that Reynald uses button binding for EX moves...I'll need to ask him to confirm that but if you watch any tournament match videos when players are doing button checks, pay attention to what they are configuring.

For myself, my combo execution shot up by around 30% adding EX buttons to my arcade stick. Before I would randomly miss an EX move where once in a while and I thought maybe it was my stick or my fingers.

So, go ahead and button bind all you want. :)
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."