Author Topic: KOF XIII 11th General Thread: China On Top (@EVO2014), Full Steam Ahead  (Read 30383 times)

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Long overdue post from me about EVO2014, but congrats to Xiaohai for taking first place, Tokido for a very close 2nd, and everyone who watched, supported, and attended this past EVO.

After 3 straight years at EVO of bringing the hype, I hope we can look forward to a 4th. Even if it doesn't get an official announcement, I think a community presence at EVO should be maintained with a side-tourney. We've built up a great community (in the U.S. and worldwide) playing a great game, with hopefully more of both to come.

To those inspired by KOF @ EVO and new to this franchise or even new to fighters in-general, welcome. Feel free to interact, ask questions, and enjoy yourselves here.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
And a quote from the last thread

There's a tournament happening in Albuquerque, NM in late September, and they're polling for the 8th, last game to be featured. KOF is in 2nd place. The poll ends around Aug. 16th. If you'd like to see it be included in the tournament, vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZLNQDZ

Details about the tournament here: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/190618/the-art-of-fighting-2014-9-26-2014-9-28-2014-albuquerque-nm
-Terry Bogard, 1995

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
Personally I would have called the topic "The Return of a God" instead of "China on Top" (not that Xiaohai actually went away anywhere)...

I may be in the minority here but I don't think KOF XIII is ready to go away just yet. They already defied the odds by returning a third year; a fourth year isn't out of the question, especially when the game is at its peak.

Full steam ahead indeed.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:43:17 AM by marchefelix »

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
I really don't want to see XIII back at Evo next year. The game is really dull. It's time for a new game.

But I really just want to see a new Garou (Or Samurai Shodown). KOF needs a break.

Coffeeling

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
And a quote from the last thread

There's a tournament happening in Albuquerque, NM in late September, and they're polling for the 8th, last game to be featured. KOF is in 2nd place. The poll ends around Aug. 16th. If you'd like to see it be included in the tournament, vote here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SZLNQDZ[/url

I voted for VSav sorry

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
I really don't want to see XIII back at Evo next year. The game is really dull. It's time for a new game.

But I really just want to see a new Garou (Or Samurai Shodown). KOF needs a break.

Seconded. As much as I like KOF, Playmore should either branch out and make some other license they currently have, or let a 3rd party company have a shot at it.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Chances are they're developing those new titles now, so hopefully what will come to replace XIII is a new SamSho or KOF.

I voted for VSav sorry

Want to say you're bad, but you picked a good game, so yeah.

Personally I would have called the topic "The Return of a God" instead of "China on Top" (not that Xiaohai actually went away anywhere)...

Wasn't ready to call Xiaohai a god yet, even with his skills.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:35:19 PM by solidshark »
-Terry Bogard, 1995

LazieFreddy

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile

You must be an atheist then.  Xiaohai is hands down the most dominant player in the kof franchise in history , even more so than "marvel god" Justin wong ever was in marvel series, or daigo ever was in sf series.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

But seriously, I don't think KOF XIII is stale at all. For me it's the most exciting current game to watch.

Now, by all means they should make a new Garou or SamSho. It's about time we got one. But I think you're hoping for the impossible if you want a new Garou or SamSho to replace KOF as the main SNK competitive game of today. I just don't see it happening. Even in the past KOF always overshadowed the other series and I don't see that changing today. If SNK wants to stay relevant in today's competitive scene, KOF is the only thing that will do. Either a new KOF or an update to the current one.

At the very least he's godlike. A veteran of the old days who's still one of the best KOF '98 players and he managed to adapt so well to XIII that he won freaking EVO. That's what I admire the most about him: that he adapted instead of complaining that it isn't like the old KOFs like so many players do (I'm not talking about just competitive players here).

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
I should've added that I was joking about not calling Xiaohai a KOF god. Watching him do an Iori combo at the arcade one-handed convinced me. But other than the one-handed combos, I hope he's not alone in being kick-ass among several KOF/SNK iterations.
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
@marchefelix - XIII just doesn't excite me anymore, it was fun during the first year up to Evo, then it just got really stale to me. Once XIII started to slowly die down, I went back to playing KOF98 again, and honestly... when it comes to KOF, that's a hard game to top.

I'd really would prefer to see a new Garou though, I think Street Fighter players would have a much easier time getting into that one and sticking with it over KOF. KOF has alot of problems that make it unwelcoming for people that come from a Street Fighter background. Especially in KOFXIII's case.

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
@marchefelix - XIII just doesn't excite me anymore, it was fun during the first year up to Evo, then it just got really stale to me. Once XIII started to slowly die down, I went back to playing KOF98 again, and honestly... when it comes to KOF, that's a hard game to top.

I agree with you man. Honestly, I love KOFXIII, but I just feel the game doesn't have the longevity potential as 98/02.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
I think I lean more towards marchefelix's opinion toward XIII. I do think it has that kind of longevity potential. A little more than '02/Unlimited Match and more than '98, I've never been more interested in looking at the whole KOF cast to play in XIII; I've actually sought out different playstyles in XIII, like non-HD challenges; part of that is what keeps XIII interesting to me after XIII years.

I'd prefer if each of the top-played KOFs (98/02/XI/XIII) got more play among today's current scene, but I might still be maining XIII or 02UM. If 98/02 get's steam release eventually or the new KOF comes in the next year or so to consoles, hopefully we'll get that diversity.

And when you guys say XIII is stale or lacks longevity, do you mean from a playing or tournament showcase pov?

-Terry Bogard, 1995

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
The player base isn't really growing that much anymore, people are trying new games that are coming out almost every few months, the online/netplay can't sustain itself as well as GGPO does with 98/02 (which has 100s of players on it daily), and it's taking a while for many places to really get into the game for example, it took Japan and Mexico a while to shake off 98/02/02UM, which they still play and like more than XIII.
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Running Wild

• Legendary Wolf
  • Osu!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Hopefully we hear something soon about 98UM+2k2UM on Steam. Those games were spotted in the database over a year ago along with KOFXIII and Metal Slug 3. Really hoping something comes out of it.

I gotta get my fill of Eiji Kisaragi in 98UM.