Author Topic: Kim Kaphwan (Arcade Version)  (Read 34311 times)

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Kim Kaphwan
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2011, 05:57:08 PM »
Really like how unique Kim's combos feel now, unlike those lame rekkas of years before.

The timing on following up after his ff+A is quite a bit faster than I thought, gotta practice. Do you have to follow it up the moment it hits or can you input stuff after Kim hits and is jumping back?

His specials allow for good hitconfirms into DC and supers. Like his DP+HK gives you 3 hits to cancel on, his HCB+HK also gives you a while to cancel. Basicially most of his moves are multi-hit so confirming into specials and dc cancels feels easy. The fact that you are cancelling one multi hit move into another helps things further.

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2011, 07:07:39 PM »
The buffer allows you to buff the move right after the A input at close range. For long range combo you must delay it a bit.

DP ? HCB ? Kim doesn't have moves like that, do you mean qcb. and d~u. moves ?
Follow me on Twitter for a lot of stuff on KoF XIII :
https://twitter.com/SharntGroMuzo

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:58 PM »
The buffer allows you to buff the move right after the A input at close range. For long range combo you must delay it a bit.

DP ? HCB ? Kim doesn't have moves like that, do you mean qcb. and d~u. moves ?

Ah, thanks.

Yeah, thats what I meant.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
Is Kim good as a 1st character or does he absolutely need meter to stand a chance?
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
He doesn't absolutely need it to stand a chance but he is much more dangerous with it.

I usually have him on 1st or 2nd position.

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2011, 09:18:10 PM »
What's the consensus on Kim as an anchor? Is that his absolute best position?
Random: "Man, KOF XII is such an awesome game!"
Iori:

Rex Dart

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2011, 09:33:12 PM »
I honestly think Kim works well in any position. He has decent meterless combos, great pokes and very safe moves. I usually put him second, just because his longer combos are really fun and my anchor usually needs the meter more, but he's pretty versatile.

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2011, 05:15:52 AM »
I honestly think Kim works well in any position. He has decent meterless combos, great pokes and very safe moves. I usually put him second, just because his longer combos are really fun and my anchor usually needs the meter more, but he's pretty versatile.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of putting him at the end of my Kensou / Maxima team.

I have a few more questions regarding this awesome character, if anyone can help me out:

- Are any of his special moves safe on block?
- What is Kim's general gameplan/goal?
- Which of Kim's normals are best suited for general AA and air-to-air?
- Does he have HD combos that don't burn insane amounts of meter? (Unlike his  ;fd ;fd + ;a xx  ;dn ;db ;bk ;b ;d x 2-4 combo)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:20:17 AM by Raynex »
Iori:

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
For the safe moves it was qcb.B on arcade.

Kim as for main goal to make his opponent fall and then mix him to launch an awesome damaging combo.
His main force is his air qcb.K or his throw which are HARDKNOCKDOWN and then mix him to launch a heavy damaging combo.
After a throw you can safe jump with a hyper jump A (may be C and D to but i didn't have the tools on arcade to be sure). You can safe jump cross up or not on some ways after an air qcb.K. His f.B his maxcancelable. I'll post safe jumps setups once i have the console version in hands.
Oh and the air qcb.D was overhead in the arcade dunno in console.

For AA s.D i guess, be careful if you're too far it's far D which is quite crap for this. Anyway his hienzan is godlike. For short hop a s.A is good.
To air to air jump.CD which is really good, don't forget to combo after a counter one with ff.A (or qcb.D in corner if your opponent is high enough).

Simplest Hd combo :
Kim neomax is AWESOME, 250 non reduced damage on the last hit. I think it doesn't really worth a HD combo if you can't end it with the nm.
midscreen
(BC)s.C,qcb.D,(HD)d~u.B,(HD)qcb.D(2 hits),qcf hcb.AC
corner
(BC)s.C,qcb.B,[d~u.B,(HD)qcb.D(1 hits)]*4,d~u.B,qcf hcb.AC

New Kim bnb crouching or not opponent  <3 :
d.B,d.B,s.B,ff.A,qcb.B
1 Ex :
d.B,d.B,s.B;ff.A,qcf.BD,s.D,ff.A,qcb.B

I think it's better to keep Drives for HD only since Kim has so awesome Ex only combos now.

Nevertheless one is, think because i don't have the console version yet, still useful :
(corner) (1 ex,50 dc)s.c,qcb.B,d~u.B,(SC)qcf qcf.D,qcb.D,d~u.D~d.D(445)

I'll update later.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:03:50 PM by Sharnt »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2011, 03:19:04 PM »
- Are any of his special moves safe on block?
- What is Kim's general gameplan/goal?
- Which of Kim's normals are best suited for general AA and air-to-air?
- Does he have HD combos that don't burn insane amounts of meter? (Unlike his  ;fd ;fd + ;a xx  ;dn ;db ;bk ;b ;d x 2-4 combo)

His moves aren't too safe I think. The Hienzan is of course not safe at all. Qcb+D is definitely not safe if blocked, haven't been using qcb+B much so can't confirm yet but according to the change log these moves in general are less safe from the arcade version iirc. Using his ff+A in combos finished with air qcb+k or qcf+K (make sure to add another K after qcf+K finishes, he does a jD right after) would be a safer option I think.

His normals aren't very good as AAs but that doesn't matter because of Hienzan, it charges fast and is all you need really. You can also use the qcf qcf+K supers as well for AA, one of them (can't remember which, B or D) has invinicbility.

Learn to love his j.A, your opponents will hate you so much. Simply excellnet for cross up, abuse on their wakeup.

His ff+A is fast as hell, great for moving across the screen in a flash.

You can link a whole lot of stuff off his far standing sD, after the second hit you can even link a close sC. Great for HD confirm as well. Not sure but it may have some lower body invulnerability, could have sworn a Kim player went over my low attacks.

For air to air I find j.CD and jB to be most useful (j.B has a nice upwards angle to it).

The drive cancel combo I use is:

(jump in optional) sC, qcb+D [DC] D Hienzan [DC] EX air qcb+K, juggle with super or ex super. If you want you can omit the air qcb+BD and cancel straight into the super. You can also just end it after the Hienzan and do good damage for the cost of just one drive bar.

For HD I use the same combo as the drive cancel one above but start it with sC, HD, sC and then end it with a Neomax. I like this because its simple and works both midscreen and in the corner and uses HD and 3 bars (I use Kim 1st or 2nd).

cB, cB, sB, ff+A > finisher, is his main BB imo.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 03:37:36 PM by Diavle »

Raynex

• Strongest Tiger
  • The Emptiest of Hops
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Sick! I appreciate all the detail you guys put into your posts. I'm going to be playing for a few hours today so I'll try to implement some of this stuff. Thanks  :)
Iori:

Sharnt

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Kim Kaphwan (Arcade Version)
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
Safe jumps :
After air qcb.B :
d.B,d.B,s.B,ff.A,qcb.B (By example)
Midscreen&Corner
Hop.A (Delay few frames after the knockdown)

After Throw
Midscreen
Hyper Jump.A (Delay a little after the throw)
Corner
Hop.A (Delay a bit more than before)

If they are timed well you'll beat everything except 2 or lower frame invincible start up moves.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:51:49 PM by Sharnt »