Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343395 times)

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
translation of it
http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/10/interview-with-kofxiv-producer-kofxiii-hits-top-3-sales-charts-fgc-ebook-free-pdf

Thanks for this.

It leaves me somewhat concerned, though. Specifically with his answer to the first question, where he writes that he's aware of people getting upset about how it looks like a very different style, but as long as it plays the same the fans will be happy.

This sounds extremely short-sighted to me. XIII already has a very small amount of dedicated players, and most of them will probably get XIV regardless of how it looks, as long as it plays the same. The main problem I had with the trailer is that it just doesn't look good, not that it looks different. I have very little doubt that it'll be a well-made and fun game from a mechanical aspect, and I'm probably getting it regardless, but everybody saying "As long as it plays well I'll be happy, stop complaining about graphics!" are missing the bigger issue.

If the graphics look like they looked in the trailer, nobody new is going to play it. That might not bother some people, but for a lot of people, myself included, part of the fun of being able to pick up and play, say, street fighter, is an easy online experience against countless other players. Answers like the one from the interview don't bode well for the future of the game, and therefore the future of the series.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 03:32:21 AM »
translation of it
http://www.orochinagi.com/2015/10/interview-with-kofxiv-producer-kofxiii-hits-top-3-sales-charts-fgc-ebook-free-pdf

Thanks for this.

It leaves me somewhat concerned, though. Specifically with his answer to the first question, where he writes that he's aware of people getting upset about how it looks like a very different style, but as long as it plays the same the fans will be happy.

This sounds extremely short-sighted to me. XIII already has a very small amount of dedicated players, and most of them will probably get XIV regardless of how it looks, as long as it plays the same. The main problem I had with the trailer is that it just doesn't look good, not that it looks different. I have very little doubt that it'll be a well-made and fun game from a mechanical aspect, and I'm probably getting it regardless, but everybody saying "As long as it plays well I'll be happy, stop complaining about graphics!" are missing the bigger issue.

If the graphics look like they looked in the trailer, nobody new is going to play it. That might not bother some people, but for a lot of people, myself included, part of the fun of being able to pick up and play, say, street fighter, is an easy online experience against countless other players. Answers like the one from the interview don't bode well for the future of the game, and therefore the future of the series.

I gotta agree with everything you said. The competition is too strong out in the market and KOF XIV's producer's answer to people's concern is terrible.

a11111357

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:58 AM »
^
In fact, if XIV looks the same as PV , hardcore players in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong will skip it. ET, XiaoHai and Dakou started practicing XIII after 2012 because no one played it in arcades. Most hardcore kof players turned to play other series like sf or tk after the releasing of disappointing XII.
I posted a poll in Chinese forum. It seems that most XIII players there are newcomers.
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3313141029
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:01:11 AM by a11111357 »

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2015, 05:45:02 AM »
New Teaser for KOF 14. Chang returns. Game is 2.5. Looks better. Atleast Kyo can cancel df+D into rekkas again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg3hvVtpZYs
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 06:01:52 AM by Amedø310 »

Hobojim

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2015, 06:26:11 AM »
Well, there goes any hope of the first trailer being early alpha I guess. The models don't look any better, and they're all oddly shiny. Very strange.

YoungsterYasakani

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
Oh my god.

Chang is in.

You know what that means?

Remember who were being planned to be in XIII but didn't make it in time?
=O

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:09 AM »
Oh my god.

Chang is in.

You know what that means?

Remember who were being planned to be in XIII but didn't make it in time?
=O

LOL. Momoko here we come! No way in hell Mr.  j. C is coming back.

Also, not sure what's up with Chang's right hand. Most likely at unfinished model.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »
Interesting to see Chang back. The second reveal looks nicer than the first, but still getting used to this new graphical style. I wonder if all 4 will be playable at PSX.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »
Chang revealed before Terry? WTF?

Good to know the gameplay looks like the KOF we know and love.  :)

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2015, 12:12:12 AM »
Leona looks horrible. Chang somehow looks ok, maybe even good.. It's confusing. Maybe it's because there's so little of him?

They stick to their choice of music, i don't mind. I suppose it's like snkps answer to the sf4 intro or something.

I like the derpy announcer.

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2015, 02:41:13 AM »
Leona looks horrible. Chang somehow looks ok, maybe even good.. It's confusing. Maybe it's because there's so little of him?

They stick to their choice of music, i don't mind. I suppose it's like snkps answer to the sf4 intro or something.

I like the derpy announcer.

Was there some close up I missed from Leona or what are you basing this off of, all I saw was slashing lol

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2015, 04:27:59 AM »
No closeup, it's just that her model and how it animates looks bad. Frankly, i'm not supposed to see her face upclose so i can live with her being "ugly". I just don't like how the characters seem to move like action figures.

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »
Chang revealed before Terry? WTF?

Good to know the gameplay looks like the KOF we know and love.  :)

Imo it's almost a sure bet that Terry is going to be in this one (but I do wonder what version they'll use); showing off Chang first might be smart as it brings interest in a returning character that hasn't been playable for years in a new game.

It does look to play like KOF thankfully, and I know that (or hope that) they're still working on the visuals, but I'd like to see more than just seconds worth of teasing per character. Maybe we'll see a full match in Dec somehow.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2015, 07:13:23 AM »
Kyo literally animates like his XIII sprite.

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2015, 08:58:14 AM »
This article suggests that the KOF XIV may have been leaked a while back:

http://shoryuken.com/2015/11/04/king-of-fighters-xivs-roster-may-have-leaked-months-ago/