Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343434 times)

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2015, 08:57:37 PM »
@Micky: I either beleive that is one of the unfinished things and will turn into the British flag, or it could be a flag similair to the "southern" flag, representing "south town" ?
If the South Town Team is real, it could be a southern symbol ^^

I forgot to say the other thing I don't like about the graphics so far: the aquarium stage. It's obviously in a preliminary state, so I'm confident it will be improved like Neo Esaka and Super Arena. (I'm also re-editing my previous message since I had already written "and" but I forgot to complete my statement xD)
Ore no...kachi da!!

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
From statements of people who played it the only free thing after you paid the 1 bar to enter max mode are the normal cancels.

Does that mean all normals become special/super cancelable after max activation like in HD?

My earlier question was actually about canceling into quick max. Can you quick max a special like in '98 um and recover from the move sooner? or is it limited to quick maxing normals and command normals?

The Max mode system properties are gonna be a big factor in how this game gets played. Certain characters worked particularly well in XIII because of the ability to cancel specials in to further specials. For example XIII Takuma, without XIIIs system of drive and HD cancels he wouldn't have been such a fearful character to deal with, I feel he probably would have ended up more like a grappler with projectiles. With the current Max mode I think he'd need another rehaul (assuming he gets in).

Also is it true that GCCDs haven't returned? If so I hope Ralf plays like his XIII incarnation, his pressure game with some meter required some risky moves or GCCD to stop in XIII.

EDIT: I just saw in one of the Gameplay vids floating on youtube GCCD is still in.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:10:27 AM by ottomatic »

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
@Ottomaniac heres a vid of two andys doing a max maybe that clarifies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqx-rm_n1mE

Guard cancels Blowbacks have not, according to the interview, but a Mark of the Wolvish Just Guard.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 10:08:08 PM by The Good Loser »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2015, 12:58:16 AM »
Ok I get it now. We are talking about different things. I meant activating max mode off of different move types not the new Neomax/Critical art equivalent. I was wondering what moves you could BC activate off of. For instance Ryo in 98 um can HCB+D ABC (quick Max) then QCF, QCF+P to combo with EXTRA or ULTIMATE, but in 02 and 02 um quick maxs can only be performed off of normals and command normals. I should have clarified the system mechanic I was trying to discern.

Homies Over Shotos

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2015, 06:49:58 AM »
Impression from a NeoGaf member:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=188112834&postcount=387

My observations about King of Fighters 14.

The characters are nowhere near as badly detailed in person. Though graphically they’re lacking, and the facial features are somewhat bland, I think the improvements that came out so quickly are a good sign. With some shaders and more work, they can be made acceptable or even good. One thing I noticed is that Chang is the most hated character, but his detail surpasses every other character. I don’t know why, but he seems like a gen and a half graphically? His clothing had more texture and detail. Also when you look at the game in person, the pants are more detailed, the clothing are more detailed than what was shown in those trailers. I’m actually somewhat positive about the details. They fit. Though Kyo’s hair looks somewhat off at the moment, and I’m sure that’s still a work in progress. The graphics are actually fairly colorful and animate fairly well. The movement is good, and has the typical KOF style movement that is fairly fluid. The game looks better in real life when you play it. Those early trailers didn’t do any favors.

The backgrounds themselves are actually very well animated. They have a nice feeling to them. Not too overly busy, but they are well done. There are nice touches on the levels too like moving trains, lights that move around, and other small details. They don’t feel desolate like several near doujin level games like Arcana Hearts or most other airdash fighters with technically colorful backgrounds, but completely dead animation wise. There’s only two stages so far, but I’m still looking forward to what SNK has planned since they make very good stages.

Gameplay wise this is traditional KOF. The feeling of it is actually very good. The running, the backdashes, the hops and hyper hops and other stuff is all in here and it moves at a very good clip. However, one thing I did notice is that the jumps feel slightly off? I don’t know if it’s because I’m not too intimate with the characters used today, but I played tons of Kyo and Ioris, and their jumps seem to be a little bit more floaty than usually. I wonder if this is intentional, or if it’s a new style to slow down the pace just a little bit to get rid of the insane pressure from 13. But even then, it didn’t exactly feel like 13 or 98 or 2k2. I told one of the programmers about this and they told me that it was still in development, but that they will tell them back in Japan. I know that every character has a different jump arc, but this one felt just a slight bit floaty, which is weird since the running and backdashes are still in place.

The running and backdashes feel good. The running feels good, and the backdashes are quick. The actual combos from previous games still work and feel incredibly faithful. Infact with bread and butters from Kyo or Iori such as rekkas, it almost feels exactly the same as 13 or previous ones. They’re fairly faithful and feel good. Like something that has always been. The move to 3d hasn’t changed the fundamental flow or how the fight feels. This is a very faithful representation gameplay wise for KOF moving onto the 3d space.

The actual fighting system is very good. The moves are essentially identical to their 2d counterparts. I feel like the frames are mostly KOF 13 with how they look, but I have slight feels of King of Fighters 98 with how the attacks are. Characters feel a bit more expanded in some ways. Iori personally has a mix of claw and flames style attacks which make him interesting. Though I wonder if this makes an EX version of him harder to do since different variants of him may be considered more limited than the hybrid version. But most of the standard attacks are the same as the 2d games and feel good. One thing that threw me off was Chang. His normal attacks have changed quite a bit and I’m unfamiliar with him now. His standing C is just really weird and pretty slow for a KOF move. Significantly more slow than I was expecting. I used this more than once by accident expecting a 98 style close range move. Another thing I noticed is that chain mashing move is lower towards the ground, but pushes forward a bit more. I feel this changes him significantly since he’s able to be jumped in with the change. Though with the pressure that’s aimed more forwards and lower, it can possibly be used at different times. The other move he has with the crouching c is weird. I’m used to him angling his ball in an upwards arc, but the change is him angling the ball upwards. I wonder if the utility on this is better, or making it more circumstantial. I’m divided on these changes to attacks. I haven’t seen enough of them in action, but I do think this can change the fundamental game of Chang and what options he has with the change in the swinging ball, the complete change in his standing C and the different crouching C. Chang has always been a slow character, but I wonder if these slower more deliberate attacks are going to be used as a whole to change his gameplay style, or make him more deliberate than he was in the past.

Another thing that I noticed that was off to me, was the recovery from a knockdown. When pressing A and B to roll after being knocked down, it didn’t feel quite as responsive or as conclusive as it did in the past. Like the audio cue isn’t as loud or as noticeable, or it may have been how load the convention was, not too sure, but it just felt slightly off. Like I missed a few roll recoveries when I thought I had them. It may have also been the playstation dual shock controller. Or perhaps the demo was stuttering a little bit? Who knows, but that’s something I have to keep an eye on. There is still plenty of time to fix this though if it’s just a glitch or work in progress.
 With regards to the max mode, I wonder how this fits in. It isn’t like KOF 2k2 or 13. I haven’t seen any moves cancel into others at least not yet, perhaps a different timing? I do know that using Max modes gives you access to EX moves and EX DMs. The EX DM’s is somewhat similar to King of Fighters 98 where you could go into a mode to have your DM’s do more damage or alter properties, but having EX moves behind this mode can add an additional layer of strategy or opening up a true characters potential. They didn’t explain the system too much, but I feel like this needs to be worked on. It feels like a branching of KOF 98 which let you use more powerful DM’s, with KOF 13 and using EX moves, but the branching doesn’t feel as successful to me. Like it’s not quite sure of what it wants to go for. But again, impressions are early. But I honestly think a better use of this meter would be an alternate meter for Dream Cancels such as having 3-4 stocks to let you make a custom or extend a combo 3-4 times depending on meter, not having a full hyper drive bar which made combos incredibly long and near touch of death with comebacks from one fault. When I asked about this mode, they said it was still a work in progress I believe and that it’s still being tweaked. So who knows what the final iteration will be. They may remove or change it or even add something completely different?

I also noticed flashing when blocking at the right time. Is this a return of Just Defend? Does this mean that there may be some Garou mark of the wolves systems at play? I don’t recall life being gained from this, but just trying to grasp these new systems and playing it may have made me less observant to this. It was just a quick flash glow like Mark of the wolves. Or perhaps this is just SNKP paying homage to their older games such as the tearing of female clothes in KOF 13?

Nice to know that my post has made it's way over here.  BTW I'm Douche McBaggins The third.  I'm uploading my other two videos.

YoungsterYasakani

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
Is Iori's dp +K a combo starter if it hits or something? Cuz I saw someone use 1 hit of rekka after using it.

Also, Iori's D throw is a different name lol. Not a big important change but hey.

Anyways...so hype! Xiao Hai made the game look so amazing, that's for sure. I like how it's back to MAX mode although I'll miss the HD style (but no one really expected them to keep that; it wouldn't have been surprising either way though). I understand the A autocombo, but hopefully that version will deal less damage than the actual full combo. Critical Wire being back for blowback is pretty cool too.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:21 AM »
Is Iori's dp +K a combo starter if it hits or something? Cuz I saw someone use 1 hit of rekka after using it.

Also, Iori's D throw is a different name lol. Not a big important change but hey.

Anyways...so hype! Xiao Hai made the game look so amazing, that's for sure. I like how it's back to MAX mode although I'll miss the HD style (but no one really expected them to keep that; it wouldn't have been surprising either way though). I understand the A autocombo, but hopefully that version will deal less damage than the actual full combo. Critical Wire being back for blowback is pretty cool too.

If I remember correctly, every game that move made an appearance it's been cancelable to rekkas.

Also about the Blow backs I think this changes some character utility, Ralf's CD was always a good poke, Mature could use hers as an anti air in XIII, and at least one of the vids I saw showed a good example of a follow up for Leona. I'm looking forward to how this all pans out.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2015, 07:37:29 AM »

The move can only be followed up by rekkas.

Laban gave a detailed impression of the game at SRK: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10496706/#Comment_10496706
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:47:44 PM by Amedø310 »

ColdShoulder

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »
Another image of Angel in-game.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2015, 12:43:21 AM »
Billy looks great. I did not know they had stripper shaped balloons...

videoman190

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »
Another interview...

http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20151216086/

Summary done by Professor http://www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72174

Summary:
    - The concept for KOF14's development is "The most easy to play KOF ever"
    - They want to make the game so that it plays naturally for fans of 98, 02, and 13 which were the most popular.
    - Since Producer Oda was in the FF/AOF dev team, he wasn't really involved with the KOF series up until now. This will be the first time that he's on a KOF project from its plot stages.
    - SNKP's been away from console development for quite some time now, so this will be the beginning for them to build up their 3D knowledge and skills
    - When asked "If KOF14 succeeds, could we be seeing the comeback of other franchises such as Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, or Samurai Showdown?", Oda replied "If everyone supports us, we might be able to bring things all the way there."
    - When asked about Trailers 1 and 2, Oda said the renderings were mostly the same but they changed the lightnings amongst other various tweaks. They want to continue improving the game's quality
    - As reported earlier, all 50 characters will be playable at launch. 16 teams (3 characters each) + 2 characters.
    - The game is roughly 70% done. They'll be starting to work on game balance.
    - The game is designed to play like KOF13 just during MAX mode where you can use EX moves and 3 levels of Supers that can be canceled in their order of hierarchy. With enough studying it's possible to juggle opponents like in 13.
    - For beginners, there's the automatic and simple "Rush Combo" system
    - The devs are still tweaking the game's Just Defense system through trial and error
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:45:50 PM by videoman190 »

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
Thank you videoman ^^ Sounds like we're gonna see touch of death combos back after all? xD

Now, what's this? Ono-style trolling or a subtle Geese/Rock/Raging Storm user confirmation?
Ore no...kachi da!!

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
GEESU

Micky Kusanagi

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
At long last, I bought a PS4 yesterday. I've just watched the KOFXIV PSE trailer on my TV -I can't connect my laptop to my TV right now because of a number of issues on my laptop's side-...it's BEAUTIFUL. Not GGXrd beautiful, but still very pleasant to look at. Good thing there are a ton of previous KOFs and a variety of PS4 fighters to play while waiting for this game, because watching the trailer on a TV made me a little more impatient x'D
Ore no...kachi da!!

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »
If Oswald appears in this game, he should join Geese. I can see them benefiting each other greatly.