Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343361 times)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2016, 08:23:28 PM »
Nona is a great artist
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/snk/images/b/b7/Mr._Karate_S.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20081207053347

But he has a very unique and personal sense of aesthetics that not everybody appreciates. He uses a lot of caricature and exageration in his art. Personally I love it.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080321213226/snk/images/3/38/Yamazaki.jpg
http://www.arcade-fighter.com/images/kof-2002/kof-2002-mai-shiranui.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-r0Bo-kWqYdI/Vjkrmi2o7YI/AAAAAAAAFoQ/Ap30HFOlPnA/s1600/nona%2Bgeese.jpg
http://livid.basgrospoing.fr/files/2013/06/SVCNonaOIori.jpg

I think Nona has a bad reputation thanks to KOF 2001. However, KOF 2002 and SVC Chaos were huge improvements, but both games have few missfires.

Good http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters2/kasumachaoss.jpg and http://www.fightersgeneration.com/characters/demitrichaoss.jpg

Not so good, but not horrible http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-04/kof02-iori-yagami.html and http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-04/kof02-maxima.html

Maybe I've got soft spot SVC Chaos, because it was my first SNK fighting game XD Also XI ending art is nice. It is "not too Nona-like", although they are done by him. Maybe we should argue about art in other thread?
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

The Good Loser

• Scion of Flame
  • Ikuzo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 08, 2016, 09:31:57 PM »
@Custle: the body and stuff looks good but the face on that Iori xD

Random people on Deviant Art make it look way better imo

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:17 PM »
As for Kof XIV, we now know that E. Ogura is doing the art as well.

That is a huge relief, even if I prefer the greater contrast in Hiroaki's less detailed art.

I absolutely hate caricatures, so that is part of why I hate Nona's art so much.

*Those deviant art pics look pretty good.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2016, 01:17:50 AM »
As for Kof XIV, we now know that E. Ogura is doing the art as well.

I'm hype to see his art of the new outfits.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:22:41 AM by Amedø310 »

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Here's a hypothetical to spark up some conversation: Do you guys think that advanced cancels can be done from rush supers? Do you think it should be possible or not? I believe I know the general consensus, but I'm interested to see how/if this discussion pans out.

I'll play what I believe is devil's advocate and state it should be possible, you'd still need to meet the meter requirements and damage potential for 3 meters should be high, your opponent should always be more careful when you have lot's of meter. Rush to DM to advanced canceled SDM is just another potential way to impose damage onto a careless opponent.

Also I hope this sparks discussion not just flames.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2016, 01:27:18 PM »
What I hated in KOF XIII is that HD mode was not necessary at all. Most of characters could do a lot of damage by only having enough meter. HD mode and MAX cancel were no needed at all. That's because there were a lot of juggles by using regular and Ex moves. Even Drive cancels were not needed too much to be deadly with your combos if you had your opponent in the corner. And what I like in KOF XIV is that they tried to limit that by limiting EX moves only in MAX mode and removing drive cancels. So, one comes to think that combos will be less damaging if you are not in MAX mode. But if they start to put rush cancels, advanced cancels, super cancels and all this, then combos without MAX mode will be insane again.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2016, 06:01:21 PM »
Then it wouldn't be advanced if you could mash A and get DM then SDM lots of damage lol.

Personally I would keep it as we know, which is A, A, A, A (final A ends in a DM). It would be to powerful to to cancel out of the third rush A into a B+C activation.

But on the other hand it might make for more interesting matches between pros and noobs.

On final thought i'm thinking they might allow rush to be alittle overpowered. But maybe make the damage scale 20% less. This will give incentive to create better combos ourselves and to not use rush combo's.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
It really barely is any damage at all. It's less than probably 20% WITH a super. They're mostly going to be used for finishing people off and not effing up a combo. Just Mash ;a and they're done.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
I'm pretty sure on the first test it seemed like 30 40% on a rush combo. I'm gonna go check videos.

I never seen a rush combo in the Taipei videos

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
It really barely is any damage at all. It's less than probably 20% WITH a super. They're mostly going to be used for finishing people off and not effing up a combo. Just Mash ;a and they're done.

It looks to be around low 20~% range for rush with super. But what I was asking was should you be able to advanced cancel that rush DM into SDM? Possibly tack on 20% or more on top of the rush 20%?

I said earlier that I my former argument was devil's advocate. Now I'll supply a counter argument: If your rush DM can advanced cancel to SDM wouldn't that change the pacing of play in rounds when the meter is available? Who's to stop someone from just building meter then fishing for any thing into rush? Also if rush can be advanced canceled, what incentive does that give players to actually learn more of the system when they have access to such damage so easily?

I actually fall in line with this argument more so than my devil's advocate one, but I see merits in both. I personally feel if rush could be canceled at all it should be that the first three As should be BC cancelable (granted they are grounded (sorry Leona)).

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09:55 PM »
I looked over heaps of vids and only found a couple of rush DM combos :(

Kyo's seemed to do 25% or so. I thought it was more.

Can the rush combo start with a far A? If so, that would certainty up your defence whilst turtling.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:18:41 PM by shinefist »

The Fluke

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 11, 2016, 02:37:19 AM »
What I hated in KOF XIII is that HD mode was not necessary at all.

Isn't that just nice? More options and different types of combos for different situations?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »
Maybe I've got soft spot SVC Chaos, because it was my first SNK fighting game XD Also XI ending art is nice. It is "not too Nona-like", although they are done by him. Maybe we should argue about art in other thread?

You're the 1st person I ever heard who got introduced to SNK by SVC. Considering SVC is a personal favorite of mine, I'm glad to finally hear it.

If I were to complain about the art style of XIII it would be the background people. Most of the time they have weird proportions. That is kinda understandable considering they wanted more animated characters in the background and you could tell the bigger the character, the better they animate. So we get a ton of fat characters in the background and anybody that has normal proportions, like the guest characters, are barely moving if they move at all. I think the most animated guest character in there was Kushnood Butt (yeah I could call him Marco, but with a name like that...), and he was just mouthing off sitting down with his arms crossed.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:53 AM »
SVC Chaos has a great intro, but the rest of the game is broken and choppy.
https://youtu.be/BbTsPMbAIDc

Also, it may be all the same to you, but it is a Playmore and not a SNK title...

Still, King of Fighters XIV could use some of this guy if they manage to not make him broken again:

solidshark

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 12, 2016, 03:11:42 AM »
Then it wouldn't be advanced if you could mash A and get DM then SDM lots of damage lol.

Personally I would keep it as we know, which is A, A, A, A (final A ends in a DM). It would be to powerful to to cancel out of the third rush A into a B+C activation.

This is where I stand with rush comboing and advanced cancel as well. Still on the fence about it in general, but will be curious in its final implementation. Having it there makes me interested about Just Defend's capacity, cause maybe that will be the easiest thing to use it for.
"You had guts kid; now clean them up off the pavement"
-Terry Bogard, 1995