Author Topic: KOFXIV Announced for 2016  (Read 343279 times)

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
Re: KOFXIV Announced for 2016
« Reply #735 on: March 22, 2016, 09:50:31 AM »
SDM to Climax would be 5 metres and they said order of hierarchy in an interview, they should of explained themselves better.

The Good Looser Yeah that's all we've seen so far, the ones you mentioned.

Shiranui_ninja

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 22, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
I would like to have more official word about gameplay. We could see the game in several events and nothing about its core gameplay has changed drastically between different builds, but still I would like to see all gameplay features in their official website, for example. I have the feeling that everything we saw so far is not final and may change at any moment.

Anyway, a lot of interesting stuff can be seen in those recent videos. Bounce ground and Just defend make the game feels fresh. What surprised me in the videos is how often they can go in MAX mode. There a pair or more videos where King goes into MAX mode several times in same round.
PSN: Shiranui_ninja
KOF XIII main team: Mai/King/Mature

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2016, 04:32:14 PM »
Raw max mode activation does seem like a good idea this time around, you get access to 5 or so EX moves for the cost of just one power bar. A fully stocked anchor character would really be able to go ham with activations.

Also, I wonder if it would be a better idea to punish with a raw activation after like a whiffed DP or something. This way you could get access to 3 to 5 EX moves in your combo instead of doing a mid combo activation and only being able to use 1 or 2 EX moves.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:30 PM »
It does look that way shiranui ninja, like they are testing new features with each playtest. Or maybe they know exactly what they want to include with each character and it's just a matter of animating and programming the logic.

Diavle yeah I bet its going to be more advantageous for some characters to try to always be in Max mode. You may gain better more powerful EX moves to get around a certain players defences.

Also if you have a character last on your team and you Max activate in a combo. Don't you get the same time gauge as raw activation? I thought it would be the same. I thought the time gauge only got effected depending on what position the character was placed in the team, 1st being the shortest, whilst 3rd place gave you the highest time gauge for like 4 to 5 EX moves.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 22, 2016, 06:56:21 PM »
The max mode time gauge gets halved if you activate in the middle of a combo.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
The max mode time gauge gets halved if you activate in the middle of a combo.

Even if your on your last character?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2016, 07:04:55 PM »

Even if your on your last character?

Yup.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2016, 07:06:17 PM »
Raw max mode activation does seem like a good idea this time around, you get access to 5 or so EX moves for the cost of just one power bar. A fully stocked anchor character would really be able to go ham with activations.

Also, I wonder if it would be a better idea to punish with a raw activation after like a whiffed DP or something. This way you could get access to 3 to 5 EX moves in your combo instead of doing a mid combo activation and only being able to use 1 or 2 EX moves.

The way I currently see activation is go raw when you want that extra boost in zoning (Leona and Andy seem like good candidates for this) or that extra property so you can get in (Iori's dp+k is invul to fireballs if not just invul altogether). Otherwise you would combo to activation to ... combo. Also normal, command normal, BC, normal, command normal does good damage while minimizing scaling on heftier combos.

I figure punish combo depends the character. Some characters may have good EX moves for longer combos, while others are better off just doing a super cancel to maximize damage on that punish. Also with no Max mode activation freeze it may be difficult to actually get that activation in before punishing.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2016, 07:42:19 PM »
Yeah a raw activation punish would be for the times when your opponent really messes up.

Similar to how good players land a jump in for a full punish after the opponent's DP is blocked or whiffed. In this case they could instead opt for a raw max mode combo using a whole bunch of EX moves.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
Oh I never new that diavle, this is too complicated lol.

Ottomatic at least each character should be viable in one way or another. I gotta feeling grab styled characters are going to be very suited to this iteration this time around, instead of people going for cheap easy damage fast type candidates.

But I gotta agree with you there about the difference in punishes, some will be better than others but I feel all the cast will have something good to dish out damage wise.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2016, 09:35:06 PM »
Ottomatic at least each character should be viable in one way or another. I gotta feeling grab styled characters are going to be very suited to this iteration this time around, instead of people going for cheap easy damage fast type candidates.

I was generalizing a bit. With the current played cast I see mostly zone and rush for the focus of their Max modes (no particular grappler archetypes yet, unless you count Chang but he's more zoner). Iori is an all rounded type character, the same thing could be said of Andy, but from what I've seen Max mode emphasizes different aspects of their games. Iori's EX moves seem more centered around close quarters and approach, his EX fireball stays in place and freezes whoever it hits, his EX overhead goes through fireballs if not better, and his EX anti air moves forward far and fast but little vertical movement makes it more of a grounded combo finish or super cancel move. While Andy's slow EX fireball makes approaches difficult, and his EX anti air is a bit like SFV kens and controls a larger air space making him much stronger in the zone game, leaving his other move's for plausible approaches, punishes, or just combos.

I'd love to see a grappler's EX moves in this game, or a trap type character, or ... scratch all that, I just wanna play the game and try stuff out.

EDIT: Looking at Andy again, he can follow his slow projectile as an approach so I'd say Max mode turns him into all rounder plus rather than zoner.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:14:27 PM by ottomatic »

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 23, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »
Any thougts on how the boss characters will work and how "fun" they'll be to fight against?

If I'm completely honest, Saiki and Dark Ash were probably the most underwhelming aspect for me in XIII. Boss Saiki looked so stupid and that throw move took so long, that the fight wasn't even "fun". Dark Ash was bit of a lazy effort in my opinion, although I enjoy the music in that fight. After Mukai in 2003 and Magaki in XI (my favorite fight in the series), XIII felt such a letdown, especially when those games were so "hype" about their leader.

Anyways, the Russian rich guy. The leak picture of him reminded of Silber, so maybe he is hard hitting slow guy? Time Lord (or whatever that was) could use some goofy stuff, like throwing something from different time.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 23, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »
Personally I'm more curious as to how well the bosses will be balanced for competitive play.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 23, 2016, 03:47:21 PM »
50 playable fighters is the headline.

Would be sweet if they balanced against the rest of the cast but I'm not counting on it. That would be hype if they managed it. They could just make the bosses AI considerably more consistent, more solid overhaul in its combo output by Making the boss versions punish you a lot & use substantial meter for their combos.

@Custle The Russian dude does give us the image of him being a gruff, heavy, slow type of fighter.

Wonder if we'll get trailer 9 tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:53:22 PM by shinefist »

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: March 24, 2016, 01:46:34 PM »
Trailer 9 coming soon..