Author Topic: KOF XIV: My General First Impressions and Thought  (Read 6713 times)

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
KOF XIV: My General First Impressions and Thought
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »
Hello everyone! It's been awhile, and today I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions on KOF XIV at Playstation Experience.

I was one of the lucky few people to go and play KOFXIV at the Playstation Experience. Shoutouts to Sony and SNK Playmore for allowing the first ever location test to be held in the wonderful City of San Francisco. It was a great decision to make, lots of people came out to play it, and the game was generally well accepted by many people, even a few Capcom executives. In general, it left a really good impression on the people who came out and played it.

I have to agree with my friend Laban, the trailers don't simply do the game justice. You really had to come out and play the game in person to see what was truly special about the game! To me, the game felt like KOF; fast, offensive, dynamic, and very fluid! The game's pace and gameplay felt like a mix of XIII easy Light Chain confirms, 98 normals, 02 cancel mechanics. It doesn't mess around much with meter gain and new mechanics besides Max Mode and Ex Moves. As soon as you get into the action, all the combos and confirms you know how to do will come naturally the first few minutes of playing some matches. I was hitting Iori Rekka from lows and Kyo J.Dwn C into Kusogani chains in no time. People might be thrown off by the 3d models at first, but you get used to it.

Offensive pressure and active defense was also really good and responsive too. My frame traps felt tight like in any other KOF game, and interrupting people's tick throw setups with Cr. A and anti-airing hops with St.A felt responsive and quick. Don't let people toss you like old salad. Overall, the feel of the game was KOF, and that feeling was truly amazing. I really do appreciate SNK for taking the flow of the game into this great direction.

As far as characters go, everyone should feel right at home once you have a feel for the game. Doing Iori's taco cross-up was a bit weird for me at first, but then I got used to it and could do that with ease. Some of the new moves they added for the characters were actually really good and useful in my opinion.

Kyo's new QCFX2+P is the same as 02UM's, and was the same as I know it. Unsafe on block, unblockable fully charged, soft knockdown, fast enough to connect to lights. Kyo also got a new low rekka chain similar to heavy D's 1-2 Mixup, however I don't remember if any of the follows up or even canceling into that followup was particularly safe. Other than that, he played like Kyo, with better range on his J.D and great pressure strings.

Iori's new super is basically a mini Dark Angel that goes right infront of him and is stationary. You can charge it up for possibly extra damage, but no extra hitstun. When you EX it, it gives up to 8 hits with the same properties. You can't get anything crazy like Taco Crossups, but it will still be something to help him put on the pressure and apply fast high lows. His old DP+K from 98 is back, and the D version is the only one that cancel into rekkas. However, it is actually + on block on its own, so if somebody blocks it, you have an advantage. One of the versions/both versions is also an overhead, so it's really good! I haven't tested the EX version though.

Kula's new super where she charges at you full of ice could actually be used really well for Anti-air! Here's a video showcasing the new super.

So yeah, a lot of new or familiar things that work well for each character.

Another new mechanic was the addition of CD wall splat, where if your St.CD hits, you get a free splat to the wall ala Guilty Gear which you can combo off of. Now this new feature seems really mixed to me; I can imagine some characters with far reaching specials, like Terry and his C burn Knuckle, to convert off of it, but as far as other characters, I'm not too sure if they would benefit off of it. I do believe that maybe the idea behind it is too CD, Max Cancel, then go up and followup into whatever. It seems like a good addition for beginners and it actually makes St. CD's a worthwhile poke worth using now instead of reacting to counter hits.

Now let me get into Max Mode. Max Mode is similar to HD or Max Mode activation in where you go into Max Mode after you cancel a normal and confirm into whatever after that. Max Mode also causes a YRC like pause if you do it raw, so you can see someone hop, Max Mode, than DP them. Max Mode right now to me seems pretty weird, and the only reason you would ever go into Max Mode is if you wanted to do EX moves, extend for further damage or go for reaction shenanigans. They might change it, which I think they should, but I don't want them to have put drive cancels in the game, I theorize that there would be an exploit in the system like in XIII if they let that fly.

Rush combos were pretty useless to me as far as I saw, so I'm not gonna bother writing about that. It's just an autocombo that does low damage, so really there is no point in doing it. Super Cancel only took 1 stock, so canceling into them won't be as resource intensive as in 02UM with 2 stocks or XIII with a stock and a drive gauge. I think that's good, less worrying about meter, and more about dat hit confirming.

Just Defend seems pretty much useless at the moment. No health regain or Guard Gauge draining less, so it seems like a work in progress at the moment. However, I think that will make a good addition to the game.

All in all, I'm really impressed with XIV. The game runs smooth, the new system mechanics are interesting and fresh, and it was just a blast to play a new KOF that stays true to its root with some new mechanics for us to play with! I'm definitely picking this game up day 1 and can't wait for more information about it in the future.

But for now, as always people, keep playing KOF and show your support. The Future... is Now.

TrueOrochi

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: KOF XIV: My General First Impressions and Thought
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:47:16 AM »
Are the short hops floaty? I have always felt the full jumps were in past installments.

ottomatic

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 01:17:11 AM »
Thanks for the insight.

The only way I can see rush being viable in higher level play is if it is Quick Max (BC) cancelable, then it could be a tool for hit confirming. Otherwise it seems like entry level punish. If you know better combos you'll just do better combos.

I have a question about CD's causing wall hit, do you know if they still cause that effect in a grounded combo? IE Leona: cl.D, BC, CD. did anyone experiment with it? I already saw a vid with Andy anti-airing someone with CD and it looked more like the CDs we've had in the past, so I'm assuming that wall splat doesn't happen against airborn opponents.

Last thing I'd like to ask. Is it possible to whiff cancel with BC? IE Chang: far C (whiff), BC, EX throw. I'm looking to find all kinds of shenanigans the system will allow. I actually already assume this one is a no but any info on any of these ideas would be great. Thanks again.

P.S. I had read Ioris EX DP+K causes a ground bounce on hit that floats the opponent to around the height of his head. After reading what you've said about the other versions I imagine it's probably also safe on block.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:14 AM »
Thanks for the insight.

The only way I can see rush being viable in higher level play is if it is Quick Max (BC) cancelable, then it could be a tool for hit confirming. Otherwise it seems like entry level punish. If you know better combos you'll just do better combos.

I have a question about CD's causing wall hit, do you know if they still cause that effect in a grounded combo? IE Leona: cl.D, BC, CD. did anyone experiment with it? I already saw a vid with Andy anti-airing someone with CD and it looked more like the CDs we've had in the past, so I'm assuming that wall splat doesn't happen against airborn opponents.

Last thing I'd like to ask. Is it possible to whiff cancel with BC? IE Chang: far C (whiff), BC, EX throw. I'm looking to find all kinds of shenanigans the system will allow. I actually already assume this one is a no but any info on any of these ideas would be great. Thanks again.

P.S. I had read Ioris EX DP+K causes a ground bounce on hit that floats the opponent to around the height of his head. After reading what you've said about the other versions I imagine it's probably also safe on block.

Some good questions here.

As far as CD wallsplats occurring after you BC Cancel, I didn't see or try if CDs carry the wall splat effect if they weren't the 1st hit of a combo.  As far as the conditions to getting wallsplat, it only happens on grounded opponents, not airborne opponents. This is most likely to prevent infinites from occurring with wallsplat loops over and over again. As far as whiff cancelling into BC, I have not, nor did anybody else, try to experiment or have seen anything regarding being able to whiff cancel into Max Mode.

Like I said, I did not experiment with Iori's EX Dp+K to see if it was safe, so I'm assuming it is probably safe as well.

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 01:33:20 AM »
Are the short hops floaty? I have always felt the full jumps were in past installments.

This build had really floaty hops, but comparing them to 98, they look almost the same. Full jumps have always been pretty slow in KOF in general, so don't think of jumping at all in this game. It's not a good idea.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »

This build had really floaty hops, but comparing them to 98, they look almost the same. Full jumps have always been pretty slow in KOF in general, so don't think of jumping at all in this game. It's not a good idea.

I feel the use of Max mode activation whilst someone jumps/hops at you or if you time it to punish mistakes, this seems like a strong tactic and baiting it out sure will be fun.
Maybe this is to replace GCC+D blow back as that took a bar to use to gain some distance. Whilst this Max mode activation is a much stronger defensive option. So yeah like EXWildWolf says, don't jump or wiff attacks. There will be lots of new meta game thanks to new Max mode. I can't wait to see new Max mode combos.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:33:32 PM by shinefist »

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »

I feel the use of Max mode activation whilst someone jumps/hops at you or if you time it to punish mistakes, this seems like a strong tactic and baiting it out sure will be fun.
Maybe this is to replace GCC+D blow back as that took a bar to use to gain some distance. Whilst this Max mode activation is a much stronger defensive option. So yeah like EXWildWolf says, don't jump or wiff attacks. There will be lots of new meta game thanks to new Max mode. I can't wait to see new Max mode combos.

Yeah, like I said, MaxMode activation puts you in a YRC freeze state, and it works for the most part as a buffer for Reacting to certain things. It's actually going to be better for whiff punishing, because you can react properly and hit a button if it whiffs and get more high end damage by the end of it. We still don't know if this will still be final in the final build of the game, but we just have to wait and see.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »

Yeah, like I said, MaxMode activation puts you in a YRC freeze state, and it works for the most part as a buffer for Reacting to certain things. It's actually going to be better for whiff punishing, because you can react properly and hit a button if it whiffs and get more high end damage by the end of it. We still don't know if this will still be final in the final build of the game, but we just have to wait and see.

What does YRC stand for ? not heard that one before. Is it to do with a buffer window?

EXWildWolf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:52:32 PM »

What does YRC stand for ? not heard that one before. Is it to do with a buffer window?
YRC is in reference to Guilty Gear Xrd's Roman Cancel System, it's basically a technique where if you spend 25%, you get a similar effect to Maxmode in where everything slows down.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:51:10 AM »
Thanks for explanation. I did wiki yrc, but still didn't understand it in relation to maxmode. If I played GG Xrd I may of understoood.

Rhiaggo

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 06:59:08 AM »
The jumps remind me a lot of the jumps arcs in SF4 which isn't surprising since it's the same battle director. However as long as the hops are quick I don't see the issue with the regular jumps being floaty seeing as how you shouldn't be jumping forward to begin with. I don't really know of any none-anime fighter that made jumping forward a legitimate strategy unless you have a good read or spaced yourself well enough.

At any rate the news sounds great and the game looks like a mix of 98/2002 with ideas from XII.

shinefist

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 11:34:15 PM »
Just wondering if maybe you can use the rush spam combo A,A,A then B+C activation.

Hope someone can also try a combo like this for example. Kyo dB, dA df+D (2 hit), B+C, A,A,A,A DM finish..

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »
In case of "floaty" jumps, I've noticed that in many 2D-games that use 3D-models as characters, jumping always feels kinda weird. It feels like jumps have no "impact" in them. For example, in Trine and Trine 2 jumping feels like I didn't press the button at all. I kinda have to agree that high jumps in KOF have certain floatiness, but good that they aren't like in SFIV game, where jumping feels like you were launched from a cannon.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?