Author Topic: Fight Sticks?  (Read 95769 times)

Custle

• Scion of Flame
  • I have thing for colour purple
    • View Profile
Re: Fight Sticks?
« Reply #240 on: January 13, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
I wanna be a necromancer.

Anyways, after years of thinking, I'm going to buy a arcade stick (I refuse to call them fight sticks). Options in Finland are quite limited and like to be out of stock. Also the price range is quite large. I would use them for other games also (like the games on that NeoGeo Bundle) and I'd prefer to have PS4 version. I'm also a bit of a controller enthusiast, so having one would be nice.

Currently I have few options. Hori Fighting Stick Mini 4 is the cheapest at 50 euros. It seems to be quite small and judging by the reviews, it gets the job done. It would be good option, because I'm not that hardcore when it comes to fighting games. On the other hand, cheapness might be sign of questionable quality.

Then there's Mad Catz Arcade FightStick TE2. This is so much more expensive and larger, so storing it might be problem. Priced at 190 euros, it is not the expensive thing I found, but on the higher spectrum. On the other hand I have spend that much money on a keyboard (Ducky Shine 4 with MX Clears) and other stuff, but that was more novelty/collecting thing.

Other options are for the Xbox 360/One, like Hori Real Arcade Pro and Razer Atrox (ewww). I'd prefer to have PS4 version, because that would be the console I'd buy if I buy one.
"Look, game over. Beat it, or I'll boot you into space!"

Want to stalk me on Twitter?

Mr Bakaboy

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 16, 2016, 09:12:32 AM »
I was on a budget for a PS4 stick and went with the Hori RAP4. It also works for the PS3. It isn't the best stick out there but I consider it the cheapest while still being high quality. The chraper hori sticks work but tend to have issues when using comboination of buttons.
Say it with me now: "Variable input lag BAAAAAAD!!!"

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 16, 2016, 04:31:47 PM »
I ended up ordering Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai from Germany. Seemed to be good price/quality controller. It should arrive here in two weeks, so I can't wait to try it out. I was thinking about doing little vlog series of me telling how I'm learning to use it. Is anyone intrested?

Custle

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2016, 03:09:12 PM »
Okay, I got the stick. I ordered Kai version, but the box says it is normal version. I guess this isn't big of a deal for me, because apparently Kai version has more space between buttons and the stick. I don't have that big hands, so no worries.

First impressions from a person who hasn't used stick ever. Well, it feels solid. Stick is wonderfully clicky. Buttons feel easy to press, although I'd like that they would have more tacticle feedback (I have few mechanical keyboards with Cherry switches). Travel time on them is short. Plastic on the art is glossy, so it is quite a fingerprint magnet, I wonder how easy it is to apply custom art?.

Stick was easy to get to work on PC, because it was plug and play. KOF 2002UM and KOF 98UMFE on Steam worked with no problems, it even said on the menu what controller I'm using (Hori Real Arcade). KOF XIII didn't work for some reason, I have investigate this one more. I tried it on Steam Metal Slug X and assinging buttons was easy. Freedom Planet also worked.

How did I perform? It was weird to use stick. I could to multiple quater circles in a row, without accidental dp motions, unlike with DualShock 4. Half circles felt okay. Double motions like 2 x qcf's and 2 x hcb were difficult to pull off, because apparently you have to wiggle stick damn fast. I noticed I got too much unnecessary inputs.

Well, I guess I need lot's of practice.