Author Topic: NorCal KOF!  (Read 323331 times)

MichelS

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal KOF!
« Reply #510 on: August 27, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
I went back to Southtown this afternoon.
Unfortunately there was only one player: "Jose"
And FYI he is the one I've played against last time. (so didn't play against GEO :-()

Unfortunately it seems I won't be able to play against other players in the area just yet.

Will be there tomorrow. Was at gamecenter working on a few things with K' and running the Melty Blood gathering.

Yea, that sounds like Geovanny. You'll see that happen a lot if you play him; it's not a traditional fighting style. He fights on full aggressive energy, doing as much damage in one combo as he can fit.

I guess we all have a different definition of high damaging combos, Geo's combos in general, are not the strongest combos at all.  He tends to "waste" his HD meter a lot canceling very early into NeoMax.  Also, NM combos are not necessarily the most damaging combos.  Try playing Mr KOF and company and you'll see.  I would actually rather get hit by Geo's combos lol =)

I've said that for a while and no one really listens to me. I'd rather get hit by him than anyone else at Southtown really. The problem is I keep getting hit after the first few ):
I don't feel it's a matter of not listening to you as it is that's not the overall problem playing Geo. It's just he could Super, Ex Super, Neomax; it doesn't matter. He still beats us.

Let me clarify what I wrote. I said that he fights aggressively to fit as much damage in one combo as he can fit. Whether that does a 100% combo or 60-70% is not what I meant. I only meant he will cram as much damage in one big burst with just about any character like a nuke. When questioned about his choices of attacks, his reasons fringe on the "entertainment" factor. This was why he stated he switched characters when he won or taunted people in game. He does it to make the tournament interesting, for viewers or himself. Don't think a majority of us can make him play seriously.

As Isaiah mentioned earlier, he states he rarely gets a "flashy" combo done on him because Geo spends most of his meter getting out of the pressure being applied to him or missing EX opportunities. Either way it goes, I feel that what's being done is dumbing down a threat. Sitting in the tournament and watching people play Geo, even in casuals, he rarely gets pushed to his second character. That's a problem that needs solving. He could be as good as Mr.KoF or waste his whole bar on whiffing, but if he rarely is challenged, there shouldn't be discussion about his meter usage. He's hitting people and capitalizing on every opportunity while not being challenged enough by our gameplay. That's the problem. When or if we even hit him, I'm watching competent players get 15-20% on his first character in a sitting. The only time we're getting meter is when we're being hit by him. Getting hit once is okay, but it's too much when it's a constant barrage.

This is honesty. Up here in NorCal, we're not going to get anywhere unless we can all beat Geo or atleast make him try to play. We're getting there, yes, but talking smack about him blowing meter doesn't mean anything when we still lose.

So my question is ... where was Geo when I was at Southtown arcade haha ;-)

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 27, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
In all honesty, I don't know. If he's not working, he's drinking or smoking. It's hard to tell when or if he'll come around like the last couple of times.

Again, I'll be there today. I don't know if I'll give you a challenge, but I'll do my best!

MichelS

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 27, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
In all honesty, I don't know. If he's not working, he's drinking or smoking. It's hard to tell when or if he'll come around like the last couple of times.

Again, I'll be there today. I don't know if I'll give you a challenge, but I'll do my best!

Unfortunately I don't think I can drop by.
I will send you a sms 1h before if I can make it.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 27, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
Reiki:  I agree that the challenge you guys face isn't the damage output he's doing, it's his overall gameplay and his pressure in general.  

Come to think of it, Mr. KOF is also known to do flashy combos instead...however he also knows the long Sans Culotte and stun combo ones as well which gets old very fast after you get hit by it a few times.  Just wait till Geo actually does high damaging combos and do the same type of pressure, he will be a very strong opponent then.

Consider you guys lucky that you have a 10win limit, we don't down here and Mr. KOF usually gets 20+ win streaks back in the days...gets old very fast.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:30:50 PM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »
I've said that for a while and no one really listens to me. I'd rather get hit by him than anyone else at Southtown really. The problem is I keep getting hit after the first few ):

If we're gonna quote and bold then let's look at the second half of the quote. I did acknowledge that the problem we have is playing vs him in general and the problems isn't just how damaging or not his combos are.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: August 27, 2011, 11:10:36 PM »
My point is that we shouldn't even be talking about it because he could use a character that blow kisses for 3 meter and still win. It just seems like we're hating the player for what he does rather than spending time analyzing and dissecting his weaknesses.

I did not mean to "go to war" on anyone's comments; I am very frustrated by losing so much and feeling helpless. Very, very frustrated. I want to win, but I can't even push him to play seriously.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:15:09 PM by Reiki.Kito »

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: August 28, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
So in summary, NorCal has 3 XIII arcades that are all free, Geo trolls, Kane encourages our scene, James makes a community-related point, Eric chimes in with his strongly worded "opinion", and Mexicans are still top tier, at least in KoF and soda formulations. What else is new?

@CharRex you wanna help me stop mashing DP so much. Why you gotta retire? Bible Black take that much time?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:17:22 PM by tastylumpia »
twitter @tasty_lumpia

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:01 PM »
Geo's was also the top player in his country before coming here. He'd better troll.

CharREX

• New Challenger
  • Internet Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
@CharRex you wanna help me stop mashing DP so much. Why you gotta retire? Bible Black take that much time?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Well, your DP mashing was working 99% of the time, so you don't really need help.
And what the fuck? Bible Black? I haven't watched any Hentai since... middle school.

PS: I'll un-retire when James makes top 3.
And please James, believe in yourself.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:39:32 AM by CharREX »
Undefeated online KOF player.

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
Geo's was also the top player in his country before coming here. He'd better troll.

Where did you hear this? Chris be gettin' his info from a Cracker Jack box :(

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2011, 06:10:15 AM »

Where did you hear this? Chris be gettin' his info from a Cracker Jack box :(
Crack Jack Boxes can't lie!

Dammit Fatacon blowin me up, I'm so free!!!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:19:19 AM by HaxMurderer »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 30, 2011, 05:27:26 AM »
I played a bit of KOF today. It was kinda fun.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 30, 2011, 05:38:20 AM »
I managed to practice saturday at Gamecenter and Southtown. I am starting to break in with K' because of his new extended combo. With a dc from his dp+A into qcf+B can net near 39 percent. It is mad easy, I really like the setup and damage. My big problem is just Maxima and his normal command grab super cancel. It is 50 percent right there, but the timing is so funky

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 30, 2011, 06:51:55 AM »
I played a bit of KOF today. It was kinda fun.

;fd ;dn ;df ;a xN
twitter @tasty_lumpia

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 30, 2011, 06:52:46 AM »
I only do C uppercuts. All or nothing man.