Author Topic: NorCal KOF!  (Read 323352 times)

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal KOF!
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »

Lawrence, PM me your number so we can hook up at Evo.
For????

Do you have to ask? We all know why they want to hook up

What happens in Vegas...

By the way, I'm heading to EVO too this weekend.. hope to see you guys there.

Nice!  Add your name in the Evo thread.  Who else is going from Norcal?  Ash Riot, FataCon, Fixel...

I do believe Soulstar, the commentator for our first tournament, is going to EVO.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:12 PM »
My two cents is option number 2 as well.

However, I'm am curious why you will not permit training mode.  If you're concerned about people switching up teams--it doesn't happen often, and the opponent will always keep an eye on it since he can potentially DQ someone.  If it's for some other entire different reason then please enlighten me.

Training mode allows swapping players in much much faster.

At AI and AA, we used to do Rally mode, but what happened was eventually it'll say Game Over and you waste like another 60 seconds waiting for it to restart, if the challenger doesn't push start (or I can't remember what was the conditions).  Free play + Training mode ensure that once the match was over the next to can sit down immediately and choose the next characters.

On a related note, personally I think there's nothing wrong with choosing different characters even if you win.  I understand the reasoning behind why people want to be able to counter pick, but to me, it's a tournament.  You have to beat your opponent no matter who they choose--but I'm cool with not changing characters.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:27:47 PM by Kane317 »

4leaf

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2011, 11:01:16 PM »
Reiki - I suggest option 2. A venue fee of $3 per entrant and whatever prize money added on. The venue fee is more than enough to cover the income lost during the tournament.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2011, 11:19:47 PM »
Reiki: Training mode really is not as big of a deal as you think it is. The exact situation you keep saying is a big problem is not at all. I believe Bala did that exact same thing during Revelations and they just told him oh hey that's not allowed and the problem was solved. You can just do the same thing in the unlikely event that someone tries to switch teams even though they won the previous match.

About resets. As long as they do not use event mode they are going to have to reset after every match unless EVERYONE starts to use training mode.

4leaf: as it is right now I believe they are getting a 2 dollar venue fee in addition to however many quarters we use to play. They get a minimum of 1.50 a match with the potential for it to be 2.00 a match for a 2-1 match.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »
So 10 dollars is your suggestion, 4leaf? Okay? I like 10-11, that's still cheap enough for a tournament with an impressive buy in. And just a note, at a 16+ bracket, you can always expect to stay longer. The math works out in double elimination to be 30 matches or higher. 15 minutes at max per set between two players. That's 450 minutes or 7 1/2 hours.

@DemoNinja: It's not just the probability of cheating, but that we have to reset the machine before people put their money in or 50 cents is always lost. It's a likely hood that happened at the tournament. Someone put the game in training mode and the match after them did not pay. That was not good. It's not just me, the organizer, who dislikes that idea but the people running the business. I was lax about it before, but I can't afford to be lax again. You have to understand that's just not going to fly with them.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:31:18 PM by Reiki.Kito »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 26, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »
Reiki: yeah I know that happened more than once but I do know that Art and Simon let it fly. More than once I was sitting there waiting for them to reset even though someone put it in training mode and Art just told me to play and forfget about the 50 cents. If they truly are worried about profits I would jack up the entry fee to something like 10. 5 to the pot and 5 to them for putting the machine on freeplay. I still advocate the use of training mode no matter what payment is chosen.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:09 PM »
Reiki: yeah I know that happened more than once but I do know that Art and Simon let it fly. More than once I was sitting there waiting for them to reset even though someone put it in training mode and Art just told me to play and forfget about the 50 cents. If they truly are worried about profits I would jack up the entry fee to something like 10. 5 to the pot and 5 to them for putting the machine on freeplay. I still advocate the use of training mode no matter what payment is chosen.

They let it happen because they were already playing and I had just mentioned it to them. From then on, they reset the machine. Remember Simon didn't sleep that night and Art had even less sleep than him. I'm telling you what they've told me and that it's not tolerable.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:02 PM »
So 10 dollars is your suggestion, 4leaf? Okay? I like 10-11, that's still cheap enough for a tournament with an impressive buy in. And just a note, at a 16+ bracket, you can always expect to stay longer. The math works out in double elimination to be 30 matches or higher. 15 minutes at max per set between two players. That's 450 minutes or 7 1/2 hours.

@DemoNinja: It's not just the probability of cheating, but that we have to reset the machine before people put their money in or 50 cents is always lost. It's a likely hood that happened at the tournament. Someone put the game in training mode and the match after them did not pay. That was not good. It's not just me, the organizer, who dislikes that idea but the people running the business. I was lax about it before, but I can't afford to be lax again. You have to understand that's just not going to fly with them.

Well that's why Free mode + Training mode + increased entry cost will solve.  The increased entry to $10-$11 just means you're collecting the money in advance and it saves time.  That's how we ran it at ReveLAtions.

They get their money in advance, no need to reset the game all the time--everything works smoother and faster.  The only drawback is to keep an eye on winners changing teams which really doesn't happen often at all, and if it does, it's on accident usually.

Nobody wants to short-change SouthTown as that's not cool at all.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:51:45 PM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 26, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
Okay yeah I don't know what we're arguing about to be honest. I think $10+freeplay+training mode is the fastest. And whenthe situation I mentioned happened to me we were not playing. We were waiting for them to reset it and Art told me to just play and forget about it. That's why I thought they were a bit whatever about it.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 26, 2011, 11:53:17 PM »
Okay yeah I don't know what we're arguing about to be honest. I think $10+freeplay+training mode is the fastest. And whenthe situation I mentioned happened to me we were not playing. We were waiting for them to reset it and Art told me to just play and forget about it. That's why I thought they were a bit whatever about it.

Yeah I was kinda confused too.  Reiki, we appreciate you looking out for Art and Simon as they're cool as hell!

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »
Thank you, Kane. I'm not trying to be abrasive. I don't want to argue or make anyone's lives difficult. The instance I'm talking about is when another player, not you, put the game in training mode and the next fight got on and just played.

In closing, I just want to run a simple and successful tournament. Successful in that everyone has fun and the people hosting it want to keep hosting it. If I write it down as a rule, it's to make things run smoother under the rules I'm held by, not to be a dick. Honest  ;)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
Thank you, Kane. I'm not trying to be abrasive. I don't want to argue or make anyone's lives difficult. The instance I'm talking about is when another player, not you, put the game in training mode and the next fight got on and just played.

In closing, I just want to run a simple and successful tournament. Successful in that everyone has fun and the people hosting it want to keep hosting it. If I write it down as a rule, it's to make things run smoother under the rules I'm held by, not to be a dick. Honest  ;)

Yup yup, don't worry about it.  I can't help laughing that as CMD.Duc was playing Geo, Art wrote on the chat "Shoutouts to NorCal for making us free in XIII!" or something like that, ahhah so funny.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:29 AM »
I honestly thought he'd do MUCH better than that. I was convinced even Isaiah's rundown of his play style wasn't sufficient information to stop Geovanni's play style, atleast not that bad. Then he gets OCVed and I'm just utterly floored. Either you guys just went easy on us or something or we all just got 10x better.

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 27, 2011, 12:32:59 AM »
Hey guys I just started a thread in Social Club about the interviews I'll be doing at Southtown Ranbats (and maybe a few other events ). http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1111.0

Because I'm looking to make this a regular thing, I'm debating starting a blog or something of the sorts.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:19 AM »
Best thing on commentary on the stream was Haunts mentioning Diamond Plaza where AI is and hot asian women and drinking boba hahah