Author Topic: NorCal KOF!  (Read 323394 times)

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal KOF!
« Reply #420 on: July 27, 2011, 01:11:42 AM »
I honestly thought he'd do MUCH better than that. I was convinced even Isaiah's rundown of his play style wasn't sufficient information to stop Geovanni's play style, atleast not that bad. Then he gets OCVed and I'm just utterly floored. Either you guys just went easy on us or something or we all just got 10x better.

I don't know how to say this humbly, but I was not surprised at the results of Geo vs CMD.Duc at all.  Granted Duc was on a trip to NorCal whereas Geo was on a trip to somewhere else (maybe he needs alcohol as well like Chin haha), but I think the results were about right when he straighted him.

Best thing on commentary on the stream was Haunts mentioning Diamond Plaza where AI is and hot asian women and drinking boba hahah

I think Haunts has a little Yellow Fever in him =)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:20:02 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 27, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
I expected a beatdown but that was harsh man. Neomaxing? I think a 3 on 3 might have given you guys at least a little trouble haha

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: July 27, 2011, 01:41:43 AM »
I expected a beatdown but that was harsh man. Neomaxing? I think a 3 on 3 might have given you guys at least a little trouble haha

Well that's coz he whiffed a strong DP... Risking wake up DPs at that "level" is very uncommon...those are usually reserved for ppl new to the game, if my memory serves correctly he did a few of those but I could be wrong.

3 on 3?  =)  I would have loved to put Chin first knowing that 4leaf and CMD.Duc could cover my slack, all in good fun though =)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:43:36 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 27, 2011, 01:43:50 AM »
That would have been hilarious a 3on3 with each person playing one of the characters. We need to run our team tournaments like that from now on!

Edit I thought a bit more about pricing and I think it should be 8 to enter like 4leaf said. At most you are going to get 6 or 7 dollars out of someone assuming they go 2-1 all the way through and then 3-2 at gf. It doesn't seen fair to take 10 from everyone when. There's going to be 4 people who go 2 and out and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:51:02 AM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: July 27, 2011, 01:50:10 AM »
That would have been hilarious a 3on3 with each person playing one of the characters. We need to run our team tournaments like that from now on!

OH!  That's what I thought they meant the whole time.  Nevermind, a 3 on 3 separate style would be more challenging for us.  I thought you meant we all shared a character each.

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 27, 2011, 04:41:26 AM »
The results were not surprising. NorCal is nowhere near on the level of SoCal in terms of this game, Geo bodying ST regulars with his "limited knowledge of XIII" shows what's up. From what I've seen, you either have OG players banking on fundamentals and tournament exp from previous FGs who don't really practice XIII seriously, or newer players who still have nerves under competitive situations. Doesn't mean ya'll are bad players, just that our group needs a lot more practice.

I won't be surprised if more of the SoCal crew comes down when they realize how free they can get their gas money back ;).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:43:37 AM by tastylumpia »
twitter @tasty_lumpia

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 27, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »
The results were not surprising. NorCal is nowhere near on the level of SoCal in terms of this game, Geo bodying ST regulars with his "limited knowledge of XIII" shows what's up. From what I've seen, you either have OG players banking on fundamentals and tournament exp from previous FGs who don't really practice XIII seriously, or newer players who still have nerves under competitive situations. Doesn't mean ya'll are bad players, just that our group needs a lot more practice.

I won't be surprised if more of the SoCal crew comes down when they realize how free they can get their gas money back ;).

SoCal definitely doesn't look down on the level of skill that NorCal has shown. If anything, they're more than excited that people are learning and growing and taking an earnest interest in the game. If anything, they're probably just really glad to see new blood. After playing with them for almost a year, I can't tell you how much they hoped other areas with access to the game would grow. Even though SoCal had another machine at FFA, it didn't quite grow a scene anywhere near AI/AA. Lucky, the CaliMexicans over in Little Tokyo have upped their game quite a bit as well.

That said, I haven't personally done anything to promote the scene up here like I said I would, but props to the NorCalians for assembling a good-sized player base of people genuinely interested in learning XIII. I hope everyone sticks with it and doesn't give up! GGs to everyone I play and meet, and I'm looking forward to get to know everyone better whenever I make it out to future events.

Ash

• Scion of Flame
  • Training Mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »

SoCal definitely doesn't look down on the level of skill that NorCal has shown. If anything, they're more than excited that people are learning and growing and taking an earnest interest in the game. If anything, they're probably just really glad to see new blood. After playing with them for almost a year, I can't tell you how much they hoped other areas with access to the game would grow. Even though SoCal had another machine at FFA, it didn't quite grow a scene anywhere near AI/AA. Lucky, the CaliMexicans over in Little Tokyo have upped their game quite a bit as well.

That said, I haven't personally done anything to promote the scene up here like I said I would, but props to the NorCalians for assembling a good-sized player base of people genuinely interested in learning XIII. I hope everyone sticks with it and doesn't give up! GGs to everyone I play and meet, and I'm looking forward to get to know everyone better whenever I make it out to future events.

Yes, Fatacon sums it up just right. We care mostly about people being interested in the game and the improvement of players up there (or anywhere else). We're really glad you guys picked it up and still playing and getting better =)

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 27, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
For sure. It's always a positive thing when our scenes get together like last Sunday. My post was not entirely serious and written in a tone that may get a rise out of certain people because I know salt can be the driving force to kick start improvement.
twitter @tasty_lumpia

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
Yo, got an interview up with Reiki in the Social Club: http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php?topic=1111.0

As for SoClassy ripping us apart, I think of it as a great learning experience. Playing 4Leaf's Mature makes me respect what was otherwise a non-entity here in NorCal. Not that we needed the inspiration but their performance Sunday was inspiring nonetheless, if you didn't wanna play KOF after the first ranbat I'd say you were a filthy lying scumbag if you didn't after watching this one. :D

tastylumpia

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 28, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
Hey, any Norcal people carpooling from Evo have space? I had some last minute change of plans, have means of transportation to LV but not sure about the way back. Willing to contribute however much needed for gas/toll.
twitter @tasty_lumpia

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:14 PM »
So, how 'bout them changes? I'm pleased, both of my characters aren't ridiculously nerfed except maybe Maxima.

EDIT: I also know this is a bit sudden, but could a moderator please remove the poll for the thread? I apologize in advance.

MEGA EDIT: All games, including KoF XIII are 25 cents all day this sunday at Southtown. If you're here, get in on that action to practice!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:33:44 AM by Reiki.Kito »

quash

• New Challenger
  • OK? OKAAAAAAY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 01, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
norcal sucks, but we try dammit.

i haven't been able to play in months, but i hope to change that soon.

haunts is godlike.
kof scrub in training

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:42 AM »
Don't forget! Ranking battles for KoF are this weekend. We get started at 1 PM, it's 7 dollars for entry, and you should expect to be about for around 7 hours assuming we have 16 people or more join. Get the practice in at Southtown arcade and be this week's King (or Queen) of Fighters!

Gamerboy15

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 05, 2011, 06:04:18 AM »
Is there a stream going on this weekend? Anyhow, I'm here in NorCal temporary for most of ankle exercise with my sister.