Author Topic: NorCal KOF!  (Read 323431 times)

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal KOF!
« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:08 AM »
Is there a stream going on this weekend? Anyhow, I'm here in NorCal temporary for most of ankle exercise with my sister.

There should be a stream on Sunday around 1PM; the SouthTown Arcade summer ranbat for XIII.

Also, ggs at EVO, Gamerboy.

Gamerboy15

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2011, 06:12:41 AM »
Is there a stream going on this weekend? Anyhow, I'm here in NorCal temporary for most of ankle exercise with my sister.

There should be a stream on Sunday around 1PM; the SouthTown Arcade summer ranbat for XIII.

Also, ggs at EVO, Gamerboy.

Thanks FataCon, glad I got to play and meet you and everyone else at the competition.

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 05, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
Hey, everyone!!

I'm seriously considering opening up an arcade in Cupertino.  It'd be a pay for the hour type thing with XBOX 360s and HDTVs.  I'd have all the current FGs and streaming there.  Eventually in a year or more when KoF XIV comes out I will buy the cabinet day one.  Is this sounding good to anyone??  I just wanna see overall interest.

Thanks!!

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2011, 01:12:21 AM »
Sounds pretty interesting, but I don't know what the scene is like in Cupertino. Lot of kids there though. You do want quarter-based games though. It's just easier to manage and insures you'll have as many machines open at any given time. Oh, and we need more rhythm game places, but that's not important.

Good luck!

JTSNOW6

• Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2011, 01:35:30 AM »
Thank you, man!!  Quarter-based games would be amazing but the overhead is just ASTOUNDING!!  If I could find cabs that are around $600 or less then I might consider some.  As it is each setup will cost around $700 (21-23" Acer HDTV, $200 4GB XBOX 360, and two fightsticks).  I already have two consoles and fightsticks so I'd only have to add six TVs and four systems.  Oh, and there'd be a standard definition TV with SSBM!!  It really is a touchy thing, do I have a Raiden II and Ms. Pacman in the corner generating some business but taking up fighting game space or do I go balls to the wall with FGs??  The two scenes could coexist I'm sure, but with just 625 sq feet to work with, I just don't know!!

FataCon

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 07, 2011, 02:38:41 AM »
Hey guys! Looks like I won't be able to make it out there tomorrow for the ranbat. Been sick the past couple of days and I don't think I'd be able to tough it out for 7+ hours. Best of luck to you all and I'm looking forward to some hype commentary. I'll be watching the stream, so I hope you all trained hard and put on a good show!

P.S. Someone remind HotPockets to ease up a bit on the stream profanity lol

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 07, 2011, 05:09:01 AM »
Seems like it'll be light competition this week. I expect maybe 10-12 this week. That's fine, just hope you get well soon! It'd be great to see and play a few games with you once you're feeling better, Fatacon. I also need to remember to say your name without thinking it starts phonetically with "Fah" instead of a "Fey". Otherwise, you'll keep saying I'm calling you fat >.>

quash

• New Challenger
  • OK? OKAAAAAAY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 08, 2011, 01:46:28 AM »
Hey, everyone!!

I'm seriously considering opening up an arcade in Cupertino.  It'd be a pay for the hour type thing with XBOX 360s and HDTVs.  I'd have all the current FGs and streaming there.  Eventually in a year or more when KoF XIV comes out I will buy the cabinet day one.  Is this sounding good to anyone??  I just wanna see overall interest.

Thanks!!

cupertino probably has a good number of closet players, but it's also close enough to both sj and the peninsula to attract people that live there.

i'd try to get it as close to de anza as possible.
kof scrub in training

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »
So I was hoping to get more matches against Geo so you guys can offer me some advice but I literally got in 1 round. After he pulled that shit I was too salty to play him anymore. That one round is pretty typical since I usually lose to this kind of play style from him. I am accepting all free tips and comments. Please rip me and my playstyle apart. Thank you in advance SoCal.

http://www.twitch.tv/iplaywinner/b/292055646 It's around like 14:30.

My own notes about what I need to do:

Block better, especially cross ups. <- I don't expect to just magically be able to block everything but I'm trying hard to focus more on blocking.

Be more patient.

Learn how to get out of the corner. <- this is what I'm having trouble with. What he does is really deep jump ins so if I try to dp with Andy or Kula I'll move forward and he jumps into the corner and gets a free punish. I should probably try to GCCD or GCAB to get out. Any suggestions for maybe a move I should try? Maybe an ex tatsu from Kula can help me bully my way out but that's punishable by command grabs I believe. With Andy I have no idea. I think I can try his ex hcf+k move.
With Raiden his ex dp works out and I can get away with that since it has a big vertical hitbox which can catch him I think.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 12:08:20 PM by Demoninja »

Gamerboy15

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2011, 04:48:32 PM »
Darn it, I missed the stream yesterday due to the fact that I was out with my folks. What did I miss?

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
snip

I like your Andy and your Kula has potential. Raiden doesn't seem to work well for you.

I think most players, myself included, need to work on defense and patience. Getting out of the corner in KOF is harder than it seems. If he goes for a deep jump in, I'd try to roll under it rather than use the meter to GCAB. GCCd may work.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
snip

I like your Andy and your Kula has potential. Raiden doesn't seem to work well for you.

I think most players, myself included, need to work on defense and patience. Getting out of the corner in KOF is harder than it seems. If he goes for a deep jump in, I'd try to roll under it rather than use the meter to GCAB. GCCd may work.

Okay thanks a lot! I'll have to remember trying for a normal roll. Yeah Raiden is bleh ): I used to be really patient when I first started playing him and literally only throwing drop kicks when I knew it would work but I reverted to guessing for some reason. I need to work on that for sure. Lately I've been playing him without his DKs and he's a whole new char for me to work with. I still like him without DKs though so I may stick with him or I'll put Shen back on my team.

Since I'm really new I'll have to work on defense for sure. It's a lot harder than SF4 which is the only other game I played at a decent level before this. I'm playing a bit of MvC2 as well so that should definitely help tighten up my defense. Things like cross ups feel so weird to me still in KOF.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:58:32 PM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 09, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
snip

Okay thanks a lot! I'll have to remember trying for a normal roll. Yeah Raiden is bleh ): I used to be really patient when I first started playing him and literally only throwing drop kicks when I knew it would work but I reverted to guessing for some reason. I need to work on that for sure. Lately I've been playing him without his DKs and he's a whole new char for me to work with. I still like him without DKs though so I may stick with him or I'll put Shen back on my team.

Since I'm really new I'll have to work on defense for sure. It's a lot harder than SF4 which is the only other game I played at a decent level before this. I'm playing a bit of MvC2 as well so that should definitely help tighten up my defense. Things like cross ups feel so weird to me still in KOF.

I was going to PM you about your characters anyways, but I'll re-watch your matches and I'll give you and suggestions if I see any.

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 09, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
I need to remember to use drive cancels with Andy. I kept getting accidental drive cancels into nothing lol.

Edit: So I'm watching the stream and just thinking about my play. I seriously don't know about playing Andy that much. I do very well with him for sure but I'm not playing him because I like him. I just play Andy because he's easy to play and a super solid character in general. I definitely want to use Shen again so maybe I can play some crazy stuff like Raiden on point with no/only 1 drop kick, Shen, Kula.

Maybe I'll try actually playing Terry and Kyo as well. I'm starting to warm up to trying new characters. I'm starting to learn a bit of Takuma since no one is using him in NorCal, same with Beni as well.

Edit 2: I need to get my Raiden shit cleaned up wow. When did I level down with him so much. I need to write down notes or some shit.

1 Drop kick, dp after
2 drop kicks, do ex shoulder
Learn to use cr.C instead of st.A
Learn to st.C(2) drop kick

With Kula remember to dp+C after ex tatsu mid screen. LEARN TO DP ON PLAYER 2 SIDE HOLY CRAP.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:15:32 AM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 09, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »
I was going to PM you about your characters anyways, but I'll re-watch your matches and I'll give you and suggestions if I see any.

I just watched your match with Charex.  First of all, Charex is a strong player (which is one of the reasons I disappointed we couldn't play that one weekend as he was on my to-do-list); it seems like You were unfamiliar with his characters Clark and particularly Iori rather than making gross mistakes yourself.

On your first match, Iori kept keeping you out with his specials.  Learn which ones are punishable and which ones are not.  One way of checking in training mode is select two Ioris, set the computer to "guard jump".  Then do his qcb+B and hold up immediately.  You can tell who has the frame advantage and roughly how much by when they jump.  Then repeat it with other specials.  The reason for choosing the same two characters is the jump height as everyone is different.  You could technically choose it for Andy and Iori if you wanted to as well but it's a little harder to discern the difference but doable.

I was only recently introduced to this method by Kunio at Evo, before that it was a lot of painstaking trial and error.

I'll keep updating as I watch more of your matches.

EDIT: Second match against Clark, you're not poking enough against Clark.  As a Clark user, it's hard to get into a Shen player who knows how to zone well with his normals.  Once again, the Clark wake up games that got you, the general rule is hop vertically against 1-framer grapplers like Shen, Vice, Goro, Maxima and Clark (I might be missing others but you get my point).  Clark's main anti air is his Gatling Attack (c.b~f+P) which works decent against hoppers but horrible against jumpers; keep that in mind.  I also noticed he likes doing d.C into his SABB command throw which is interesting; I'll have to try that myself (I like using s.B, s.D, SAAB).

The second Iori match you did much better and zoning him out, be mindful of his command grab since it's technically 5+ frames (the Ex one is 5 frames, and the normal one isn't list but we all know the Ex one is faster).  Raiden tips, I'm no expert and to be honest, you guys in Norcal has much more Raiden matchup experience than we do as we don't use him at all in the arcades, none of us do, and only 2 ppl use them for tourneys.  Having said that, you're only relying on strong pokes, use his light pokes as well so you can dash in to command throw them (if you're only charging one dropkick).  If you're charging both, the do a dash normal throw.

Lastly, just watch your shallow jump ins, especially against Clark since he has a command throw that will punish you.  Overall, there can be improvements but Charex is a strong opponent and once again he was one of the 3 ppl on our to-do-list when we came up so don't be so hard on yourself.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:25:51 AM by Kane317 »