Author Topic: NorCal KOF!  (Read 323379 times)

CharREX

• New Challenger
  • Internet Troll
    • View Profile
Re: NorCal KOF!
« Reply #495 on: August 26, 2011, 01:00:49 AM »
I was thinking it might be Geo.YUC  because he also played a bit with Robert and Shen.
Huuum ... next time I will take time to ask for his name hehe ;-)

That wasn't me, I think you fought Geo's friend. He's the Mexican guy with a slickback haircut right?

Gonna be MIA for awhile until Reiki makes top 3.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 01:03:38 AM by CharREX »
Undefeated online KOF player.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:03 AM »
I will come in the arcade (southtown) this afternoon (will try to be there after 5).
If some good players were around it would be a good challenge I think.

Hum maybe someone can help me out ;-)
I went to Southtown arcade yesterday and played against few people.
Especially one pretty good player using K', Iori and Terry.
I was curious if this rings any bell and if someone would know his name.

:-)

It might be CharRex...but I'm not sure.  I remember him being one of the few Iori players.

I was thinking it might be Geo.YUC  because he also played a bit with Robert and Shen.
Huuum ... next time I will take time to ask for his name hehe ;-)

Geo's Hispanic and CharRex is Asian if that helps.

MichelS

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 26, 2011, 01:07:31 AM »
Lol so it could be Geo ;-)
I have never had anyone doing so many throws in one match! lol

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 26, 2011, 10:20:57 AM »
Yea, that sounds like Geovanny. You'll see that happen a lot if you play him; it's not a traditional fighting style. He fights on full aggressive energy, doing as much damage in one combo as he can fit.

fixelzero

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 26, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
I believe he fought Jose, the other mexican player in southtown. Because Geo rarely picks Shen, unless he's randoming.

MichelS

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
From Reiki description I think it could be Geo.
With Iori he was focusing on high damage combo with EX DM.

I will try to drop by again this afternoon around 6/7.
Hopefully I will see few of you there.

I am leaving SF on sunday morning.

HaxMurderer

• Strongest Tiger
  • aka NegroNinja aka Biki aka HotPockets
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 26, 2011, 08:39:14 PM »
lol I have an interview I conducted with Jose at Dragon Lounge Mondays, I'll put it up later.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 26, 2011, 09:26:14 PM »
Yea, that sounds like Geovanny. You'll see that happen a lot if you play him; it's not a traditional fighting style. He fights on full aggressive energy, doing as much damage in one combo as he can fit.

I guess we all have a different definition of high damaging combos, Geo's combos in general, are not the strongest combos at all.  He tends to "waste" his HD meter a lot canceling very early into NeoMax.  Also, NM combos are not necessarily the most damaging combos.  Try playing Mr KOF and company and you'll see.  I would actually rather get hit by Geo's combos lol =)

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2011, 04:35:10 AM »
It's most likely the mexican guy with slick backed hair and not Geo. I believe fixel said his name was Jose and I know he likes to use Shen and Iori who I barely ever see Geo use.

I guess we all have a different definition of high damaging combos, Geo's combos in general, are not the strongest combos at all.  He tends to "waste" his HD meter a lot canceling very early into NeoMax.  Also, NM combos are not necessarily the most damaging combos.  Try playing Mr KOF and company and you'll see.  I would actually rather get hit by Geo's combos lol =)

I've said that for a while and no one really listens to me. I'd rather get hit by him than anyone else at Southtown really. The problem is I keep getting hit after the first few ):
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 04:37:41 AM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2011, 04:44:29 AM »
It's most likely the mexican guy with slick backed hair and not Geo. I believe fixel said his name was Jose and I know he likes to use Shen and Iori who I barely ever see Geo use.

I've said that for a while and no one really listens to me. I'd rather get hit by him than anyone else at Southtown really. The problem is I keep getting hit after the first few ):

You guys were at the same stage we were at when we first started.  You'll eventually wean off HD+NM combos, most likely moving to HD+Ex DM+extra juggles and if you character permits it, stun combos which is of course most ideal.

Liz doing 511dmg, mid screen, no drives at all or Takuma doing a 100% combo with no meter 2 drives

VS

Robert using 3 meters + full drive, doing 60-70%.  

That's why SNKP revamped the system slightly making it more sense to use NM for the console release.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:09:27 AM by Kane317 »

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
No one in NorCal thinks doing a NeoMax is a good idea for damage besides Geo though even when we first started.

A few of us are leveling up our execution. I know I can do Takuma's stun combo but it's definitely not consistent yet which is why I haven't used him in an actual match yet. The few times I did play him I knew I would most likely drop it which is why I haven't even been attempting it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:05:12 AM by Demoninja »

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 27, 2011, 06:12:29 AM »
No one in NorCal thinks doing a NeoMax is a good idea for damage besides Geo though even when we first started.

Must be all the chanting of "Neomax" that gave me that impression, j/k ;)

A few of us are leveling up our execution. I know I can do Takuma's stun combo but it's definitely not consistent yet which is why I haven't used him in an actual match yet. The few times I did play him I knew I would most likely drop it which is why I haven't even been attempting it.

Nice.   We were just talking last night how we feel between a) having three relatively close arcades in Norcal, b) the dense population in general (accessibility to new players), and c) the overall number of hungry new (and young) players makes us know without a shadow of doubt that within a year you guys will have a far larger scene than socal does.  

Demoninja

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 27, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »
Nice.   We were just talking last night how we feel between a) having three relatively close arcades in Norcal, b) the dense population in general (accessibility to new players), and c) the overall number of hungry new (and young) players makes us know without a shadow of doubt that within a year you guys will have a far larger scene than socal does.  

I actually wonder about that a bit. I've played at all 3 arcades and it's really mostly the same people. At most there's like 2-3 people who play at one arcade and not the others and everyone else just migrates back and forth depending on which arcade has something going on that day. I definitely hope what you predict will come true but we'll see after console comes out and see how the arcades handle it.

MichelS

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 27, 2011, 07:40:11 AM »
I went back to Southtown this afternoon.
Unfortunately there was only one player: "Jose"
And FYI he is the one I've played against last time. (so didn't play against GEO :-()

Unfortunately it seems I won't be able to play against other players in the area just yet.

Reiki.Kito

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 27, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
I went back to Southtown this afternoon.
Unfortunately there was only one player: "Jose"
And FYI he is the one I've played against last time. (so didn't play against GEO :-()

Unfortunately it seems I won't be able to play against other players in the area just yet.

Will be there tomorrow. Was at gamecenter working on a few things with K' and running the Melty Blood gathering.

I don't feel it's a matter of not listening to you as it is that's not the overall problem playing Geo. It's just he could Super, Ex Super, Neomax; it doesn't matter. He still beats us.

Let me clarify what I wrote. I said that he fights aggressively to fit as much damage in one combo as he can fit. Whether that does a 100% combo or 60-70% is not what I meant. I only meant he will cram as much damage in one big burst with just about any character like a nuke. When questioned about his choices of attacks, his reasons fringe on the "entertainment" factor. This was why he stated he switched characters when he won or taunted people in game. He does it to make the tournament interesting, for viewers or himself. Don't think a majority of us can make him play seriously.

As Isaiah mentioned earlier, he states he rarely gets a "flashy" combo done on him because Geo spends most of his meter getting out of the pressure being applied to him or missing EX opportunities. Either way it goes, I feel that what's being done is dumbing down a threat. Sitting in the tournament and watching people play Geo, even in casuals, he rarely gets pushed to his second character. That's a problem that needs solving. He could be as good as Mr.KoF or waste his whole bar on whiffing, but if he rarely is challenged, there shouldn't be discussion about his meter usage. He's hitting people and capitalizing on every opportunity while not being challenged enough by our gameplay. That's the problem. When or if we even hit him, I'm watching competent players get 15-20% on his first character in a sitting. The only time we're getting meter is when we're being hit by him. Getting hit once is okay, but it's too much when it's a constant barrage.

This is honesty. Up here in NorCal, we're not going to get anywhere unless we can all beat Geo or atleast make him try to play. We're getting there, yes, but talking smack about him blowing meter doesn't mean anything when we still lose.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:31:18 PM by Reiki.Kito »