Author Topic: NGBC - Rock Howard  (Read 9553 times)

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
Re: NGBC - Rock Howard
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 03:38:02 AM »
The wiki has a few broken combos.

This combo would never work. 360 + C, (corner) [qcb + A, qcf x2 + A]x2, charge d, u + A/C
It puts them in a no-juggle state after 236236A. You cannot juggle after it no matter what you use.

Also, the wiki is incorrect when it states that he can corner trap effectively. Rock doesn't play like Geese, where he can do frametight corner traps. Rock's way more loose and poke-based. If you do more than poking, he's extremely unsafe with all of his moves on GCFS. I really want to say he's worse than Yuki, simply because Rock has no reliable AA and pokes.
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon

jinxhand

• Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:11 AM »
The wiki has a few broken combos.

This combo would never work. 360 + C, (corner) [qcb + A, qcf x2 + A]x2, charge d, u + A/C
It puts them in a no-juggle state after 236236A. You cannot juggle after it no matter what you use.

Also, the wiki is incorrect when it states that he can corner trap effectively. Rock doesn't play like Geese, where he can do frametight corner traps. Rock's way more loose and poke-based. If you do more than poking, he's extremely unsafe with all of his moves on GCFS. I really want to say he's worse than Yuki, simply because Rock has no reliable AA and pokes.

I never wrote that he could corner trap effectively. I just said: "Once in the corner, variations of block strings can be used to pressure the opponent." Not once was there the word effectively. He can't corner trap "exactly" like Geese, but he can still keep you in the corner, especially if you're good with both ;qcf counters, and his ;a ;c / ;b ;d evade moves, which can cancel to specials on hit, at least for the ;b ;d one anyway. On top of that, he has setups that while put him in the corner, will throw the opponent right back with follow ups to boot, unlike Geese, who doesn't have much mixup potential outside of ;dn ;d canceling into either his ;bk ~ ;fd ;d (which is safe except for GCFS/GCTA), or ;qcf ;a / ;c . Pending the matchup, he won't be able to keep that particular opponent in the corner for long if they know what they're doing, but for the most part, he can hold it down for a bit, but not like Geese-- which saying that Rock played like Geese was never mentioned either. He's definitely safe with ;qcf ;a and at times ;qcf ;c , even if the opponent decides to GCFS and attempt to attack. There's only a few characters who can defy that without even having to GCFS (Haohmaru and MP come to mind).

Rock has at least 5 AA moves, but knowing when to do them depends on the range. That doesn't mean that they're not reliable though. He in no way is worse than Yuki. For starters, Yuki doesn't have many options when he's getting locked down. Sengoku requires too many frames to execute, and the window for the counter is short, unlike Shishioh's counter, or even Rock's counter, which activates instantly. The only downside to Rock's counter is when it's up against multiple hitting moves (MP's 3D) and certain moves that are long range, but have crazy hitboxes, which can make Rock whiff his flip kick. Yuki needs to charge to really be a threat.

Rock's pokes are better than Yuki's!!! You can't tell me that Yuki's 2A is better than Rock's 2A. Rock can combo with his at that!!! Rock's 2B is about even with Yuki's and that's only because Yuki can IAD afterwards, and even that he can get hit out of if telegraphed. Rock has many options from 2B. In the corner, all he needs is 2B to get a good combo in, which I've got footage of.

Rock has better wake up options than Yuki. Yuki needs a charged P and/or meter to be a threat on wakeup. His ranbu isn't so great. His ;qcb ;qcb ;a is ok, but I got a feeling he can get hit outta that... Rock doesn't even need meter for moves on wake up. He can counter, rising tackle, or even 360 throw... Speaking of which, Yuki's command grab is mad garbage in comparison to Rock's. Yuki has no options from it, other than it creating some space to zone with ;qcf ;a / ;c . Tapping the buttons doesn't do too much damage, as the opponent can counter mash so less damage can be done.

Rock isn't just poke based, he has tons of mixups and oki at his disposal. Some require being gutsy at times, but if you know what you're doing, then you shouldn't have to worry about being punished, or being forced to just poke with 5A, 2B, and 2A.

Also, that wiki was written awhile ago, and it does need some sprucing (and some portions are being fixed still). There's still some characters that I'm trying to learn, and figure things out with, and I actually have Rock down now than when I was trying to play him when I wrote the wiki. If you feel you can contribute, lemme know and I can set you up with write/editing options for the wiki.

Remzi

• Scion of Flame
  • Achieve the impossible~
    • View Profile
    • Pidku Online
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
Rock has at least 5 AA moves, but knowing when to do them depends on the range. That doesn't mean that they're not reliable though. He in no way is worse than Yuki. For starters, Yuki doesn't have many options when he's getting locked down. Sengoku requires too many frames to execute, and the window for the counter is short, unlike Shishioh's counter, or even Rock's counter, which activates instantly. The only downside to Rock's counter is when it's up against multiple hitting moves (MP's 3D) and certain moves that are long range, but have crazy hitboxes, which can make Rock whiff his flip kick. Yuki needs to charge to really be a threat.

Rock's pokes are better than Yuki's!!! You can't tell me that Yuki's 2A is better than Rock's 2A. Rock can combo with his at that!!! Rock's 2B is about even with Yuki's and that's only because Yuki can IAD afterwards, and even that he can get hit out of if telegraphed. Rock has many options from 2B. In the corner, all he needs is 2B to get a good combo in, which I've got footage of.
Rock has meter burning for AA, and his 2~8A/C. Yuki has 6A (Whiff) 3C, 623A, far B, j.C, etc. All of them can be juggled after too.
Who cares about his counter? Also, Yuki's counter is instant.
Yuki doesn't need charge at all aside from MAYBE 22D (lightning) and 22A (projectile).

Yuki's 2B is pretty godtier. Rock's 2D is seriously unsafe compared to Yuki's 2D, which can be cancel'd into a shitton of things. All of Yuki's normals but 5B / 2C / 2A / 2B can be whiffcancel'd. None of Rock's normals can do that. Yuki has a better crossup that's less spacing-specific, projectiles that actually cover space (plus they're invisible and a potential AA). He also has better punishment against things like K's AA with 214C, which combos into pretty much anything. Yuki has better mixups (left / right > high / low), and generally higher damage.

Oh, and you did write that you can corner trap relentlessly. "Rock's strategy is similar to that in "Garou: Mark of the Wolves", which is to corner trap the opponent relentlessly." He lacks the tools to corner trap at all. Whiff cancels and a good AA would be required, which he has neither of.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:17:22 AM by Remzi »
MBAA: H-Aoko
MBAC: Hisui & Kohaku
LB2: S-Akari
NGBC: DIO & Kaede
KOFXIII: Yuri / King / DuoLon