Author Topic: The King Of Fighters 94  (Read 10500 times)

migrations

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
The King Of Fighters 94
« on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:14 AM »

The King of Fighters 94

The King of Fighters '94 (officially abbreviated KOF '94) is a 1994 fighting game released by SNK for the Neo Geo arcade and home console. It is the inaugural game in The King of Fighters series by the same company. The game was originally ported to the Neo Geo AES and Neo-Geo CD following its original arcade release. In 2004, to commemorate the tenth anniversary of the series, SNK released a remake titled The King of Fighters '94 Rebout, which featured the original game and a new version with high definition graphics.

The game is a fictional crossover featuring characters from SNK's previous fighting game properties Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting, as well as revised versions of characters from their pre-Neo Geo games Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier, and original characters created specifically for the game. The plot features the creation of a new King of Fighters tournament created by the criminal Rugal Bernstein, but this time with teams composed of three members unlike the ones from Fatal Fury, which had no teams.

Unlike it's sequels, in KOF '94 you can not choose individual characters.  You simple choose a preset 3 man team and then you can choose your character order.

Button Layout

If you want to be a Neo-Geo purist, then your button layout for KOF '94 will use the classic Neo-Geo style layout:
----------------------------

;a ;b ;c ;d

To kick in new school it's best to use the 'capcom' button scheme.  I believe this is what most players use nowadays, and makes things a little easier.

;a ;c
       ;b ;d

Input

;up= 8 = up
 ;dn = 2 = down
 ;fd= 6 = forward
 ;bk = 4 = backwards
 ;uf = 9 = upforwards
 ;ub = 7 = upback
 ;df = 3 = down forward
 ;db = 1 = down back

;dn ;df ;fd = quarter circle forward (d, df, f = 236 motion)
 ;dn ;db ;bk = quarter circle back (d, db, b = 214 motion)
 ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd = half circle forward (b, db, d, df, f = 41236 motion)
 ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk = half circle back (f, df, d, db, b = 63214 motion)

;a = LP
 ;b = LK
 ;c = HP
 ;d = HK

c. = crouching
sf. = standing far
sc. = standing close
j. = jumping
hold X, then X = Charge move notation

Movement

Walking

Holding ;fd or  ;bk makes your character walk left or right.
It is better to think of walking in terms of walking 'towards' or 'away' from your opponent.
So if you are player 1, when the round starts,  ;fd will have you walk towards your opponent.
If you are player 2, when the rounds starts  ;fd will have you walk away from your opponent
This guide will assume you are on player 1's side as the round starts.

Crouching
  ;dn will make your character crouch, while crouched you can not walk unless you are using a fatal fury character.

Crouch Walking
Fatal Fury characters in KOF '94 can slowly inch their way towards the opposition while crouched.  To perform this simple hold  ;df

Jumping
 ;up will make your character jump straight up, this is often called a 'neutral jump'.  You can also jump towards your opponent with  ;uf and you can jump away from your opponent with  ;ub

Dashing
Quickly inputting  ;fd, ;fd will have your character quickly dash towards your opponent, it's almost a tiny fast hop.  You can also do a retreating back dash by quickly inputting  ;bk ;bk
I might add that this dash mush be inputted very quickly for it to come out.

Attacking

Normal Attacks
Normal attacks have three variations:  standing, jumping and crouching.
 ;a - Light punch
 ;b - Light Kick
 ;c - Strong Punch
 ;d - Strong Kick

It might be noted that sometimes it's only important to differentiate between punches and kicks and not their strengths.  In these cases P will represent  ;a or  ;c and  ;k will represent  ;b or  ;d

Command Normals
These are 'extra' normal attacks, performed by a button press + a direction
Examples:
Kyo's Axe Kick :  ;fd+ ;d
Kyo's Geshiki: Naraku Otoshi :  ;dn+ ;c in the air

Body Tosses
At close range you can throw the opponent in either direction:
 ;c+ ;fd or  ;c+ ;bk at very close range
will throw the opponent in the direction chosen.

High Damage Attack
 Pressing  ;c+ ;d will result in a high damage attack.  
This attack knocks then enemy back and can be done while standing or jumping.

Special Moves
These moves are 'special' because each one has unique properties.  Special moves generally involve some kind of stick movement and then a button press.
Examples:

;dn ;df ;fd+P is a projectile attack for Kyo, Terry, Ryo and others.
Hold ;dn, then  ;up+P is the command for Terry's Rising Tackle.
 ;bk ;db ;dn ;df ;fd+ ;d while close is Ralph's Super Argentine Back Breaker, it's a more powerful throw, but a special move nonetheless.

Meter
While building meter isn't an attack per say, the only way to utilize your meter is by unleashing a powerful MAX attack, so I think it falls under the offense category.
There are two ways to charge your meter:
Firstly you gain meter by taking damage, this is very slow.
Secondly by holding  ;a+ ;b+ ;c you can, like Goku, charge up your meter.  This meter charging method is very fast.

MAX moves
MAX moves are KOF's equivalent to Street Fighter's Super moves.  After your meter is fully charged you can unleash a very powerful MAX move.  MAX moves can also be performed at will when you have such low life that your life bar is flashing.  These moves have complex and varied motions to execute them. some examples are as follows:

Ryo's RyuukoRanbu :  ;dn ;df ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk+ ;c
Andy's ChoReppadan : hold  ;dn, then  ;df ;fd+ ;b+ ;d
King's Illusion Dance :  ;bk ;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk+ ;b+ ;d

Dizzying
If you pummel your adversary enough, they will go 'dizzy' and green crescents will materialize and dissipate above their head.  In this state your opponent is at your will and is completely defenseless.
I will up date the properties of dizziness, i.e. what exactly causes it and weather it's duaration is variable.  I will post updates after some expirimentation

Assist Attack
When you do eventually get dizzy you can call in a teammate from the background to jump in and attack your opponent.  This is performed by pressing  ;a+ ;b+ ;c while dizzy.  Properties of this attack will be further elaborated on.

Taunt
While not offensive in nature, I suppose the taunt is an offensive mind game which is, for the most part pointless.  To be a dick and perform a taunt press  ;c while the stick is centered and your enemy is on the opposite side of the screen.

Defending

Blocking
Holding  ;bk will allow you to block high.  You can block low by holding  ;db.
Blocking will negate all damage done except from special and MAX moves.  Special and MAX moves cause chip damage when blocked.
Some moves must be blocked low, and conversely certain moves (namely jump-ins) must be blocked high to be successfully blocked.

Attack Avoidance
Attack Avoidance can be performed by pressing  ;a+ ;b.  Also called the 'lean', this is a move that makes you temporarily invulnerable to all attacks.  Although Attack Avoidances are invulnerable at first, just like any other move they contain recovery frames which leave you vulnerable to the opponent's attacks.

Combo System
- With the opponent on the ground, jump ins can combo into standing normals.
-Standing normals can combo in to certain other standing normals
-Standing normals can be canceled into Special moves or MAX moves.
-Because of the simple nature of the combo engine, many of your bread and butter combos will
involves something like Jump in  ;c,  ;dn+ ;b, ;b, ;b, special move.  These seem to be B&B combos in tournament videos I've scene and so I imagine they are effective.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 10:33:00 AM by migrations »

migrations

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: The King Of Fighters 94
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
Character Strategies
A move list can be found at http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/563185-the-king-of-fighters-94/faqs/593

Team Mexico

Team Japan:

Team Italy:

Team USA:

Team Korea:

Team England:

Team Brazil:

Team China:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 04:34:22 AM by migrations »

migrations

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:05:47 AM »
Videos
Team China (AMY) v Team Japan (777)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ai6LxF6MFQ&feature=player_embedded

Team England (大将) vs Team Korea (777)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srgQNoxYGf0&feature=related

Team Japan (Basilizk) vs Team Italy (Masarusan)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-PWUtN2-zc&feature=related

Team China (Syuu) Vs. Team England (Agent Spinhead)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LrEeBtq8w&feature=related

How to beat Rugal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr7fEU7dm7A&feature=player_embedded

KOF 94 Combo Vid by Blind King, Munna Bhai and Kyorex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgiViXGXEA

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:21:32 AM by migrations »

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
Could somebody explain the command throw bug in this game

If there's a video, it will be better

and well, I still love 94, even though 95 is a superior version, but well, I play them both

Waifu Material

krazykone123

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
If you finish everything you type up I'll make you a cool wiki template so you can archieve that shit, keep up the good work sir.

jinxhand

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
  • That Battle Fantasia Guy
    • View Profile
    • EMPYREAL CEREBELLUM BEATS
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 04:57:16 AM »
Props on the start up of info for 94... It's good to see more info get updated for this site...

Rex Dart

• Mod Team
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:10:33 PM »
RESURRECTION!

KOF94 KCE公開動画 その275 ノスタルジック対戦動画1
KOF94 KCE公開動画 その276 ノスタルジック対戦動画2
KOF94 KCE公開動画 その277 ノスタルジック対戦動画3
KOF94 KCE公開動画 その279 ノスタルジック対戦動画5(アメスポ登場) <-- US Sports Team
KOF94 KCE公開動画 その280 ノスタルジック対戦動画6(女格祭り) <-- Women's Team
KOF94 KCE公開動画 その281 ノスタルジック対戦動画7(終)

KCE has some nostalgia battles! Some great matches here. Part 4 / 278 is missing, strangely.

You know, I never realized you could cancel your taunt into itself. It's really funny to watch someone trying to charge their bar, while Benimaru keeps going "Hm-hm-hm-hm-hm" repeatedly. Check out the second video at 7:00 for some of this PRO-LEVEL strategy in action. Epic match!

calibur753

• Rising Dragon
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:20:27 AM »
This kof game is so hard and I play on easy and can't beat Japan team for S#### lol
I'm a O.G. of Fighting Games and always looking for a good fight. think you can beat me ? hit me up on xbox live. my gamer tag is, CALIBUR753

sibarraz

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:06 PM »
This kof game is so hard and I play on easy and can't beat Japan team for S#### lol

Team Japan is very hard to beat, is like the 3 characters had tools for everything

Waifu Material

necronomiCRON

• Rising Dragon
  • SNKtheist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
There is a way easier method for beating Rugal. In his first form you can jump in and tick throw him to death. In his second form when you charge with A+B+C Rugal will charge and won't stop until his gauge is full.
Just Don't look in the trunk...