Author Topic: King of Dinosaurs  (Read 8124 times)

desmond_kof

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • Practice everyday without neglect
    • View Profile
    • DesmondDELAGHETTO youtube page
King of Dinosaurs
« on: July 18, 2016, 12:44:44 AM »
Notation
;a = Light Punch
;b = Light Kick
;c = Strong Punch
;d = Strong Kick

(*) = EX OK
(!) = MAX OK

Throws
Dyna Bomb -  close ;bk / ;fd +  ;c
Dyna Buster - close ;bk / ;fd + ;d

Command Normals
Rex Head -  ;fd +  ;a
Yucatan Punch -   ;bk;a

Special Moves
Zet's Met's Hurricane - ;hcb + ;a/ ;c (*)
Assault Raptor -  ;qcf + ;b/ ;d (*)
Ankylo Hammer - ;qcf + ;a/ ;c (*)
   Ankylo Hammer (Brake)  ;a + ;b
Giga Conply - ;qcb + ;b/ ;d (*)

Super Special Moves
Zet's Met's Hurricane - ;hcb ;hcb + ;a/ ;c (!)
Dinner of Dinosaur - ;qcf ;qcf + ;b/ ;d (!)

Climax Desperation Move
Tyra Mosa Dread Carno Gaohi - ;hcb ;hcb + ;b + ;d
"Do not place so much importance on winning. The fight itself has value."

Pix

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: King of Dinosaurs
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »
Big slow son of a gun. Lots of OTG weirdness going on. Some notes:

-Forward throw has some combo options if the opponent doesn't techroll, qcf C xx qcfx2 KK super works for 432 damage midscreen.

-Qcf A combos from lights, first hit SCs into grab supers but obviously it's pretty tight. 2nd hit may cancel into DinoDinner super if it OTGs?

-EX qcf P wires the opponent and guarantees an OTG qcf C which can then be SCed into DinoDinner midscreen or climax. This was roughly the best option I found for a 1st char max combo.

-Better be sure what you want when jumping in. Aerial heavy normals seem to have pretty pathetic hitstun and it's easy to mistime heavy normal followups.

-Close D has a RIDICULOUSLY small activation range, you can be right on top of your opponent and still get far D which is incredibly slow. Be very careful pressing this button.

Amedø310

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »
He has a lot of auto gaurd:

cr. C
Far C
b+A: https://www.facebook.com/Amedo310/videos/10153730638997078/
hcb+C
(EX) hcb+AC: https://www.facebook.com/Amedo310/videos/10153730137612078/

A video of the EX qcf+AC, qcf+C, Climax: https://www.facebook.com/Amedo310/videos/10153729555042078/

If Light Anklyo Hammer Break hits an opponent in the air,  it becomes a hard knockdown that can be followed by Giga Compy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:25:18 AM by Amedø310 »

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »
KoD is so similar to Tizoc, yet so different. Most of his moves have been altered, some taken away entirely. For instance, his air throw is gone and the move where he steps back and then rushes forward with a haymaker is gone as well. However, you can still jump  ;d;c;fd ;df ;dn ;db ;bk+ ;a. I'm honestly a bit disappointed he doesn't play more like his KOF XI counterpart, but he is by no means bad. Time will tell if I decide to stick with him or not.

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:02:09 AM »
Is there a reason to ever not tech against dino? The punishment is big if you don't tech, and he can't seem to chase you for teching either. His run is too slow, and the jump grab is punishable

Coliflowerz

• Strongest Tiger
  • #topshelfesteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:42:24 AM »
Is there a reason to ever not tech against dino? The punishment is big if you don't tech, and he can't seem to chase you for teching either. His run is too slow, and the jump grab is punishable

So far i don't think so, some people forget/mistime it though. *cough cough* me *cough*
I do nothing but post KOFXIV tech so gimme a follow if you like that
https://twitter.com/coliflowerz
https://www.youtube.com/user/Coliflowerz

MetalThrashingMadman

• Scion of Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 09:49:42 PM »
The more I play KoD the less he feels like Tizoc, and the more he feels like Zangief. Sure, I expected changes, but the appeal of Tizoc to me was he felt really mobile for a grappler, and KoD is certainly not moblile. Maybe after some time passes, and people discover more cool stuff about him, I'll give him another try. I'll probably be looking at Maxima or Geese to fill KoD's spot on my team.

There is no shortage of characters in this game though, I'm not going to let one disappointment discourage me.

gloomycoin

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:36:56 AM »
Heres what seems to be the best for 1/2 bars with Dinosaur-

1 bar- cr.b, cr.a, Ankylo Hammer a (1 hit), Dinner of Dinosaur b, Giga Compy b or D =323

His best for 1 bar because its dead easy and you can do 2 cr.a for 5 more damage if youre slow at confirming. The free Giga Compy gives a nice bit of meter too. He has max mode stuff without super but it does about 20 less damage and gives no meter. Another annoyance with Dino is having 1250/1500 max as 2nd or anchor doesnt extend his combos at all, also his most efficient damage is from 1 or 2 bars (1 bar specifically) so you should probably play him on point imo. Bearnin mind you can use EX Dinner in this combo but he doesn't get the free otg so its only about 50 more damage.

2 bar- cr.b, cr.a, max, cr.c, fwd.a, Super Zetsumetsu =391

You can start this from cl.d, fwd.a, max, cl.d, fwd.a for 473. Dont use cl.c at all because it has way too much pushback, and be wary of cl.d because if you're not point blank you get a far standing d.

I like Dino but his damage without meter is terrible, its cr.b, st.a, Zetsumetsu or nothing basically and even that only works if youre practically hugging your opponent. I cant find anything into climax thats worth the meter, his max mode is pretty worthless and his EX Dinner does comparatively crap damage. Im still using him on point though
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:38:52 AM by gloomycoin »

Coliflowerz

• Strongest Tiger
  • #topshelfesteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:03:43 AM »
Yeah combos are definitely not this guy's strong suit. I could kinda tell from just the trailer.

Definitely don't always follow up the super with Giga Compy; throwing them out of the corner could be a really big deal. Use it to finish or if you're not too close to the corner.

Pix

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 06:47:19 AM »
1 Bar (halfscreen): cl.D, fwd.A, MAX, cl.D, qcf.AC, qcf.AC, *finisher*.

Finishers:
qcf.C - hard knockdown on a now cornered opponent, 399 damage.
qcf.C (break), st.C - reset with potential grab shenanigans, 408 damage.
qcb.D - Throws opponent away and return to neutral - 417 damage.

2 Bar: (spacing specific) cl.D, fwd.A, MAX, cl.D, qcf.AC, qcf.C xx qcfx2.B(EX) = 492 damage.
This works as long as you have about 70% of screenspace to work with, or if your opponent is cornered so he will wire over you. If not, opponent may fall out of EX Dinner.

Coliflowerz

• Strongest Tiger
  • #topshelfesteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 08:56:47 AM »
soooooo f. A is punishable on hit

Not by a lot, but it's good to know that it is. Kyo's qcfx2 AC can punish it for example, and KoD's own grab super seems to be able to as well.

Also i want to add, please use cr. C to combo into his command grab! As I'm sure we all know, cl. D has a horrible activation range, so if you're not up in their grill you'll get far D. But even if cr. C hits at maximum range, the command grab will still combo. You'll lose a small amount of damage but not much. Actually, use it to combo into everything; it's faster and more reliable than close C and D.

Cross up j. C or even j. B if you're daring into cr. B cr. A hitconfirm into command grab always works too. This is really important cuz KoD's hop actually crosses up! Not many characters (at least in the demo) seem to be able to do that.

st. B is a great whiff punish tool. It combos into qcf A (brake at max range), and if you're a little closer than st. B's max range, command grab.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:10:20 PM by Coliflowerz »

Ben Reed

• Mod Team
  • New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 07:12:19 PM »
If KoD is cornered, f+A is punishable on hit, but midscreen or with KoD's opponent cornered, I was unable to punish it on hit with any of these moves (standing hit, reversal timing, so as to maximize KoD's frame disadvantage):

Kyo: st.A, st.B, cr.D, qcfx2+AC
Iori: qcf,hcb+AC, qcfx2+BD
KoD: hcb+A, hcbx2+AC

The pushback really saves KoD's ass in this case.

I also tried hitting the opponent with a crossup jC and then doing f+A midscreen just to get a little bit deeper, but it's NOT punishable midscreen. And TBH if somebody was using f+A as KoD while cornered and no meter to MAX Cancel, I'd just have to wonder...why?

The other stuff in your post is quite accurate, though. st.B > hcb+A is huge in footsies, and cr.C is basically foolproof unless you miss entirely with it (very hard to do).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 07:25:24 PM by Ben Reed »

Coliflowerz

• Strongest Tiger
  • #topshelfesteem
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 03:02:04 AM »
Oh. Oops. my bad.

Well the frame data is out... and the third hit of his Rush is plus on hit and block? pretty important... definitely take note of that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:14:15 PM by Coliflowerz »

Ben Reed

• Mod Team
  • New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
Yeah KoD's Rush Combo being plus on block is a very pleasant surprise. Not worth mashing after the 3rd hit if you have 1 or more bars, but if you don't have enough bar for super, a cr.B hit-confirm to Rush Combo is actually optimal damage, as silly as that sounds. And even if you have to stop on hit, KoD's plus on hit, too.

I played with Quick Max Bypass with KoD and unless I'm missing something major, he doesn't seem to have a lot of use for it. Here's what I played with:
cr.B, cr.A, qcf+ABC: Won't combo. Since you have to start from a C/D normal, may as well do a normal combo to MAX cancel in that case.
cr.B, cr.A, hcb+ABC: Combos, but the grab ends the combo and you just spent a whole bar on one EX move
cr.B, cr.A, qcb+BCD: Won't combo either. Worthless.
cr.B, cr.A, qcf+BCD: I...actually kinda like this one as a surprise shenanigan, simply cause EX Assault Raptor can't be ducked or blocked, and it's hard to react to from a bypass. I can see occasional, successful use of this trick being made if you think your opponent isn't ready for it.

EDIT: I also just tried cr.A > bypass hcb+ABC to see if I could armor through CD counters. Unfortunately, whether the opponent's timing is frame-perfect or slack, a CD counter will always beat the EX Hurricane. So no O.Yash-style plowing through CD counters via bypass with the King.

EDIT 2: Just realized that while you can't armor stuff with bypass hcb+AC, you have a better, cheaper alternative -- just cancel to hcb+C! The C grab will snatch your opponent reliably no matter what it ticked from (though hop attacks like j.CD/j.D would be ideal). Just make sure you use a cancellable normal (or hop-in with huge blockstun) while trying to bait them!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 10:48:36 PM by Ben Reed »

Alucard-XII

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 10:17:01 PM »
Posting all my findings:

far  ;b is cancellable

hcb  ;c (and EX) grab has full armor during initial animation

far and crouch ;c have armor in the middle of their animation

qcb  ;b;d grabs opponent while on floor (guaranteed after qcf x2 K DM and normal grabs if opponent doesn't do a safe fall)

This is the only combo I use, and it's effective. the first 2 inputs give you enough time to hit confirm.

far  ;b;dn ;df ;fd  ;a (1 hit) >  ;dn ;df ;fd ;dn ;df ;fd ;b;dn ;db ;bk ;b