Author Topic: Clark Still (Arcade Version)  (Read 66695 times)

johrjives

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Re: Clark Still
« Reply #225 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »
Haha Kain I watched your launch party matches. Nice abuse of the autoguard. The CD cancel into SAB is a nice fient, I didnt realize you could do that. 

I only watched part of the stream live but people were saying "Clark the rapist". Where did that originate?

marchefelix

• Legendary Wolf
  • X A N A D U
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 29, 2011, 11:13:55 PM »
Haha Kain I watched your launch party matches. Nice abuse of the autoguard. The CD cancel into SAB is a nice fient, I didnt realize you could do that. 

I only watched part of the stream live but people were saying "Clark the rapist". Where did that originate?

Probably from that one attack Clark had where he grabs his opponent and rolls on the floor with them

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »

Southtown Arcade streams apparently started the "Clark the Rapist" meme, mostly because clark is a shady lookign guy, with his hat and glasses. They then included that he has a white van which he lures little girls into with promises of candy... and then "Chris-Tan" happened to play a team of all young-looking girls... and it kinda went on from there!

I don't think much of this audience knew anything about his old "Rolling Cradle" throw, so I don't think that has anything to do with it, marchefelix ;)

But, given how Clark can totally destroy enemies on console in short order now, I think he now has the name for a whole new reason...

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2011, 06:55:27 AM »
Just gotta' say; Ralf and Clark's jumping CD's are amazingly good. Possibly the best in the game. The hitbox on those things are huge. For Clark it gives him mixup opportunities, for Ralf he can do jump CD and then Dive and be left relatively safe.
Team: Billy, Clark, Hwa.

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
^His standing CD is really good as well.

Played against a Clark today, was using Raiden. Been wondering how I would do against the B SAB and even though this guy wasn't too good he was definitely versed in the arts of the B SAB.

Things didn't go too well, for him that is. He tried using it an an anti-air and even though Clark successfully guarded my j.D, I still had more than enough time to jump away before Clark could grab me. I then knocked him down and ran to him, he did the B SAB as a wakeup. I did a sweep from about a characters lenght away and again it was guarded but the grab whiffed.

Had a few more instances where it was beat out again for me as well, did it on an Ash's wakeup and his regular dp beat it.

So yeah, the move is good but not too abusable.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2011, 07:38:14 AM »
Found something cool and I have a question for Kane.

I was inspired by the BC/NeoMax cancel combo vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6da56NFWoNs#!

I messed around and couldn't do far standing D into it, but I found probably the easiest way to do it: Just  ;dn ;b ;dn ;b and HCF BC/BD and bam, got it.

Question for Kane: How did you cancel his CD into B Sab? I've tried and I just can't get the timing down, I've pulled it off maybe once or twice by accident.

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 02, 2011, 02:37:52 PM »
I messed around and couldn't do far standing D into it, but I found probably the easiest way to do it: Just  ;dn ;b ;dn ;b and HCF BC/BD and bam, got it.

You can even add a s.B so: d.B x2, s.A, hcf BCD...

The d.B x2, s.A is a good hit confirm because you can go into A Gatling Attack as well.

Question for Kane: How did you cancel his CD into B Sab? I've tried and I just can't get the timing down, I've pulled it off maybe once or twice by accident.

Best thing to tell you is practice doing s.CD on a standing opponent, when it hit cancel that into hcf B.  Do it a couple times to you memorize the timing, then you do it whiffed.  Just remember which frame to cancel it on and it'll be easy after that.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
Thanks dude. Random question:

Any reason at all to use the C version of Gatling Attack (charge punch) or the D version of SAB? Yeah, you can combo into D Sab, but why do that when you can just combo into A Gatling or EX Gatling, push them easily in the corner, and set them up for a juggle or reset that does about the same damage as D SAB? I just don't see the point of the D SAB in general. It's faster but it's reach isn't any better than the gdlk B version, and like I said you could just combo into Gatling. D SAB is bad by itself, he can easily be hit out of it and even his Grab Super.

I can't find any use for the C Gatling, it just doesn't combo like A Gatling. I could see someone use it in a Neomax combo, but why bother with Clark?

PS: I made a Duffman color for Clark.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:37:13 AM by LouisCipher »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:53 AM »
Dude, D SAB is one frame.

If you are not using it then you are playing Clark wrong.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2011, 09:51:50 AM »
But EX SAB is better because it can be cancelled into grab super for 450 damage. And you can't use D SAB to tick throw like B SAB. Even if you don't have any meter, why not just combo into A Gatling, juggle, and get them in the corner?

As a grappler; it's infinitely more important to get them in that corner than do a sliver more damage (unless that kills them of course).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:58:44 AM by LouisCipher »

Diavle

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »
As a grappler you want them on the ground more than you want them in the corner so you can rape them on wake up, D SAB gives you a hard knock down. EX SAB costs meter, this doesn't.

Again, it is one frame. This move is what will make the opponent extremely cautious when playing against you. Why? Because any mistake means you will grab them. They can't throw any moves out thinking they will be safe on block. You know safe moves like Iori qcb+K, Terry's qcb+K etc.? One's you can't easily punish on block? This eats them right up.

You saying that you find yourself getting hit out of it tells me that you don't know how to use the move. It is supposed to be used point blank pretty much, when the opponent is not in hit stun. If you use it properly then you can't be hit out of it because you will grab the opponent within 1 frame.

Also, B SAB can be avoided on reaction because of its long startup. No such thing with D SAB.

If I were to play you and realize that you don't use D SAB then believe me, I will take way more risks.

SAB-CA

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Studio Artic Bananna!
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
The very rear of a grab chara in KoF is that they can punish you on-the-spot with their grapples, and that it makes your approach much more difficult. Using simply B SAB eliminates much of that. Of course you still have the EX version, but you also need meter for that, and 2 meters + drive for the super cancel. The D SAB is simply free, can be combo'd into from close normals, and can punish rolls, and be done near instantly out of hop pressure. You can also cancel into it from Gattlings, if you so desire.

As far as C Gattling goes, it can be combo'd into off heavy normals (Great after a ranged Crouch C), and also has an extra hit on the ground, which makes it easier to cancel into a grapple. The DLD followup also grounds them again after the juggle, and sets them up for more wakeup mixups.

Just relying on B SAB weakens your game, overall. The move is punishable when spammed, it can be baited, and it overall loses effectiveness when you play aganist people who know KoF more. Alt guarding will destroy it, hop and jump moves will destroy it, spaced multi-hit moves that leave you in air during multiple hits will devour it, and leave you comboable... sure it's a great tool, but it's only at it's best, when it's mixed in with his other options.

LouisCipher

• Legendary Wolf
  • Drunken Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
I think the thing is that I'm approaching Clark from a different perspective from you guys. EX Grab I'd much rather use because of it's range and what I can follow it up with. Whenever I try to just get in and do D SAB or whatever, just going for a grab, I almost always get pushed out or eat an AA. This could be an online thing or me just getting used to KOF, I would totally admit to that.

I'm going to try to use it more, but I still don't see a point for C Gatling.

t3h mAsTarOth...!

• Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »
I think the thing is that I'm approaching Clark from a different perspective from you guys. EX Grab I'd much rather use because of it's range and what I can follow it up with. Whenever I try to just get in and do D SAB or whatever, just going for a grab, I almost always get pushed out or eat an AA. This could be an online thing or me just getting used to KOF, I would totally admit to that.

Something tells me you haven't been using Clark since '97 like some of us here... lol... I've used Clark religiously in every KOF... Specially in '97 and XI which I've played the most...

Till XIII, you didn't have no hit confirm-able lows or pretty much anything big combo wise with Clark EVER... The way you would play the character is SPAM normals, CONTROL spacing, and get in there and MIX-UP... Pretty much ALL your damage came from dp+K and SAB/UAB and j.D/j.C+D/cr.C/cr.D...

Sooo for XIII, just think like that, plus actually being able to safely pressure and do hit crazy ass confirm-able combos and having invincible gatling moves...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:40:20 AM by t3h mAsTarOth...! »
KOFXIII - Raiden, Billy, Mai, Karate, Kim, Ralf, Ryo, Robert

SC 1-5 - Astaroth

SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 05, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »

Alot of his [DC] combos involves his C Gatling like: Ex Gatling, Vulcan [2hits], [DC] C Gatling...

C Gatling also has the follow up that leads to a hard knockdown which is crucial for grapplers.