Author Topic: Hey DC, Old timer returning.  (Read 2268 times)

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Hey DC, Old timer returning.
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »
Guess I should intorduce myself.

I am a returning FG player, played hard core back in Vegas (in ATL, GA now) for a alot of years...3s, MvC2, and CvS2 (thats what was being played competitively).  But I did have a couple friends who would play Samsho, KOF's, Garou, and SvC Chaos (yeah I know its not great but was still fun). 

In coming back I've realized that I really did like the SNK games more, but with the arcades being the way to really play against others/tourneys you were at the mercy of the crowds.  Now with all this online play I'm going to give it a shot at coming back and playing my lovely SNK games.  Can't wait for the release of KoF XIII.  I may not have the finger dexterity as I used to....us old guys lol...but I got the strats.

Anyway, I been messing around on GGPO (using my new PS3 R2 TE stick), but feel sooo rusty.  My mind knows what to do but my 8 years of rust stop the hands from always doing it lol.  If there are any people that are willing to help the elderly get back into it, let me know lol.  Ok, im not that old, just 31 lol.
PSN:  Geist_Hexenjager

Kane317

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Hey DC, Old timer returning.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:26:47 PM »
Guess I should intorduce myself.

I am a returning FG player, played hard core back in Vegas (in ATL, GA now) for a alot of years...3s, MvC2, and CvS2 (thats what was being played competitively).  But I did have a couple friends who would play Samsho, KOF's, Garou, and SvC Chaos (yeah I know its not great but was still fun). 

In coming back I've realized that I really did like the SNK games more, but with the arcades being the way to really play against others/tourneys you were at the mercy of the crowds.  Now with all this online play I'm going to give it a shot at coming back and playing my lovely SNK games.  Can't wait for the release of KoF XIII.  I may not have the finger dexterity as I used to....us old guys lol...but I got the strats.

Anyway, I been messing around on GGPO (using my new PS3 R2 TE stick), but feel sooo rusty.  My mind knows what to do but my 8 years of rust stop the hands from always doing it lol.  If there are any people that are willing to help the elderly get back into it, let me know lol.  Ok, im not that old, just 31 lol.

Welcome again. There's a bunch of us that are that age so don't worry about it; it's like muscle memory, it'll all come back to as long as you have some completion to play against.

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:39 PM »
Welcome again. There's a bunch of us that are that age so don't worry about it; it's like muscle memory, it'll all come back to as long as you have some completion to play against.

With me moving to Atlanta a couple years back and not seeing any arcades here, comp is hard to come by.  That's why im hoping that KofXIII will have some good netcode.  It might make or break my coming back to fighting games.  I think I'm just gonna mess with 2002 on ggpo until it comes out.  And probably pick up some classics for the hell of it on NeoGeo Station.

I originally got back because of the hype of SSFIV....but I guess I'm in the majority that thinks that the game is just trash...including the look of it.

Also the scene seems to be really different now...all this talk of "who is your main" and "what game is your main".  Back in the day, if a game was good you would play it, multiple games...and, at least me and my friends, would play all the characters.  I dunno, I should start a topic on it cus it is weird to me.

nilcam

• Administrator
  • Legendary Wolf
  • PSN: nilcam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
With me moving to Atlanta a couple years back and not seeing any arcades here, comp is hard to come by.  That's why im hoping that KofXIII will have some good netcode.  It might make or break my coming back to fighting games.  I think I'm just gonna mess with 2002 on ggpo until it comes out.  And probably pick up some classics for the hell of it on NeoGeo Station.

I originally got back because of the hype of SSFIV....but I guess I'm in the majority that thinks that the game is just trash...including the look of it.

Also the scene seems to be really different now...all this talk of "who is your main" and "what game is your main".  Back in the day, if a game was good you would play it, multiple games...and, at least me and my friends, would play all the characters.  I dunno, I should start a topic on it cus it is weird to me.

Welcome to the Dream Cancel family!

I was interviewed on the Power Up Podcast and made the exact same statement. I am also old; older than you, in fact. I started playing fighters in 91 and frequently moved from machine to machine and tried out every game I could, eventually settling on SFII and SamSho II as my games.

I'll definitely be on NeoGeo Station as well. I'm getting SamSho when I get home tonight. My PSN is nilcam.

THE ANSWER

• Legendary Wolf
  • I AM THE ANSWER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
Everybody over 30 shouldn't be playing video games...

joking! joking! joking! =) Welcome to the family.
@theanswerkof
twitch.tv/theanswerkof

Dark Geist

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
Haha, awesome.  I was gonna grab SamSho and maybe KoF for the hell of it...I just hope the netcode is good on these.

BTW, my psn is Geist_Hexenjager

@THE ANSWER:  The old guys are the reason why these games are still around today for the young whippersnappers!  LOL!