Author Topic: Newbie help  (Read 2722 times)

thelamasama

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
Newbie help
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:31:32 PM »
I am new to KOF and am trying 14 out of the first time. I been working on the basics and am now starting to learn combos. I notice in tournaments it is very important to cancel lights into Max mode activate into a heavy but I am having trouble always having the heavy come out or connecting in time to continue the combo. Is there a trick to landing it consistently or do I just have to grind this out?

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie help
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »
It's one of the toughest things you have to do mechanically tbh, and there aren't really any shortcuts for it. Also it's easier for some characters more than others. I'd set the dummy to random block and just practice the confirm into cl.C. It helps me to think of it in blocks: you have the cr.B cr.A hit confirm (for many characters, anyway), st.B max mode activation cl.C, then everything else. If you can grind the first two blocks to semi-consistency, the rest can be adapted into whatever you want out of the combo.

and yeah, when you are grinding don't forget to take frequent breaks to let it set it. Overloading will kill your wrists and make you forget things

thelamasama

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
Thanks a bunch, your post simultaneously made me feel better and reinvigorated me to keep training.

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:34 PM »
Glad to hear it! Good luck!

Varmintbaby

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
Also I don't know how invested in the hobby you are, but maybe try using different joysticks in your arcade stick (if you use one) to see what suits you. Sanwa and Hayabusa sticks don't work as well for me in this game as my Seimitsu LS-58 does. I just got a LS-32 and its not too good either but I'm waiting for the octo-gate for it to see if that improves it. But overall Seimitsu works better for me in this game whereas Sanwa and Hayabusa are better for SF5.

Mr.Minionman

• Mod Team
  • Strongest Tiger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 07:01:54 PM »
I use sanwas. I hear seimitsus are bad for double tapping, but it's mostly just pref.

Krazysh0t

• New Challenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:49:49 PM »
I was having trouble with max canceling so I mapped B+C as a fifth button and it has made it much easier for me to pull off now. Still tough timing, but now I don't have to worry about hitting two buttons consistently and can just make a tap sequence on my stick instead.